Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/15/2004 6:25:55 PM   
Black Cat

I`m tired of cleaning data miners and other crap out of my system, is the Lavasoft software any good and are there any problems with it interferring with internet connections or downloads ?

I have their free Ad Aware but wanted to buy the full package which is suppose to block the stuff in the first place and protect the system.
Post #: 1
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/15/2004 6:39:29 PM   
pasternakski

I've been running the free version for several months now and have had no problems. I haven't yet seen the need to buy the full package, as I just have it scan my system a couple of times a week. It regularly detects a couple of dozen miners for removal.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 2
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/15/2004 7:36:03 PM   
Shadow of the Condor

Same here. Have been running the freebie for a couple of months, and only miners I've encountered were fairly benign (I think the names of them were Adept, IIRC). Usually about once a week I run the scan, and hit about 7-10 of them in the registry.

I would imagine the more you surf, the more you would encounter. I don't use the net for much more than e-mail, historical searches, and the odd game of chess now and then, so maybe I'm not a good barometer for whether or not to buy the full package.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 3
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/16/2004 12:52:31 AM   
chief

Been using the free version for 3 years and never had any problems from it, but it has saved me from many (minors).

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Shadow of the Condor)
Post #: 4
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/16/2004 3:41:52 PM   
Marathon

It is very good. I use it along with Spybot.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 5
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/16/2004 3:59:56 PM   
Toby42

I've used it for several years and it works well, no problems!!

Tony

(in reply to Marathon)
Post #: 6
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/28/2004 12:00:36 PM   
Gasbag

I'd also suggest getting Spyblaster to compliment Spybot S&D. With these 3 you should be protected against most of the really nasty ware out there. You can also try CCleaner ( the developer calls it Crap Cleaner ) from www.CCleaner.com. It's free & it's a bit like giving your PC an enema ( cleans out all the @#$t ). I've had it for a couple of weeks now & it seems to help.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 7
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/28/2004 4:04:45 PM   
rhondabrwn

Spybot and Ad-Aware are both distributed to students from Indiana University's official software download site (we have free downloads of MS Office XP, Windows XP, Symantec anti-virus etc etc etc under various licensing agreements that the university has negotiated for our students. The fact that these items are on our download page reflects our IT department's blessing of these tools.

They are both a safe bet and work well in combination to protect your PC.

One neat thing you can do is to go ahead and accept "Gator" advertisements to get various free software packages such as DivX Pro etc etc... and then wipe Gator off your computer with Ad-Aware. The software downloads continue to work, but no ads <hee hee>.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Gasbag)
Post #: 8
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/29/2004 6:39:57 AM   
demon340v

it's a god program i have run it a few times and it gets the job done

Enter The Realm of NoK

Get The Real Experience Twisted Racing

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 9
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/31/2004 3:25:07 PM   
Sabre21

I surf the net every day and end up having to run it twice a day. While the free ad-aware is good, it still doesn't eliminate the root causes of such hidden programs like Coolwebsearch. Spysweeper at least informs me when my home page gets redirected, even when I'm not actively online. But it too doesn't eliminate the root source. I have wireless connection to the internet, so whenever my computer is on, my system is online.

If anyone knows a surefire way of eliminating coolwebsearch, please let me know (other then reformatting the hardrive).

Sabre21

(in reply to demon340v)
Post #: 10
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 10/31/2004 8:50:20 PM   
Hartford688

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gasbag

I'd also suggest getting Spyblaster to compliment Spybot S&D. With these 3 you should be protected against most of the really nasty ware out there. You can also try CCleaner ( the developer calls it Crap Cleaner ) from www.CCleaner.com. It's free & it's a bit like giving your PC an enema ( cleans out all the @#$t ). I've had it for a couple of weeks now & it seems to help.

Thanks for the pointer to CCleaner. Just loaded and ran it. 23 MB of garbage I had missed on other cleanouts.

< Message edited by Hartford688 -- 10/31/2004 7:50:20 PM >

(in reply to Gasbag)
Post #: 11
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/6/2004 8:34:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

I surf the net every day and end up having to run it twice a day. While the free ad-aware is good, it still doesn't eliminate the root causes of such hidden programs like Coolwebsearch. Spysweeper at least informs me when my home page gets redirected, even when I'm not actively online. But it too doesn't eliminate the root source. I have wireless connection to the internet, so whenever my computer is on, my system is online.

If anyone knows a surefire way of eliminating coolwebsearch, please let me know (other then reformatting the hardrive).

Sabre21

Sabre;

I'm not sure about "Coolwebsearch" but a solution to annoying self-starting data miners and web-hijackers is MSCONFIG

Run Adaware and/or Spybot (I do both, select the option to run on startup when they request and make sure you d/l their updates because they have to keep up with the new C*** that comes out)..then when the combo has done their job..hit the "Run" button and type in "msconfig" then ok..a MS utility will pop up that tells you some interesting stuff...go to the "startup" tab..you will see a list of those applications that are set to start running when you boot up. Those that have a check mark are currently configured to run on startup. You will likely find some c*** that will make you mad.

Keep in mind, some of the apps are things you instructed the comp to use on startup...(ie Norton, MSN..that kind of thing). If you see "dyfuca" or fun stuff like that you can be pretty confident you didnt ask for it. The good thing about msconfig is it's reversibility..it doesnt erase anything...clicking on the checked file only disables it on start-up. Click on the suspect files and reboot. If you disabled something you WANT running..you can reopen msconfig...click on the object..then reboot again.

MSCONFIG will give you a reminder on reboot that it is being used.

Note...msconfig does not erase the files..nor does it inure you in any way from a new data miner or web hijacker from being accidentally d'led....so you have to check it a couple of times a week..especailly if you have kids.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 12
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/6/2004 10:55:50 PM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Spybot and Ad-Aware are both distributed to students from Indiana University's official software download site (we have free downloads of MS Office XP, Windows XP, Symantec anti-virus etc etc etc under various licensing agreements that the university has negotiated for our students. The fact that these items are on our download page reflects our IT department's blessing of these tools.

They are both a safe bet and work well in combination to protect your PC.

Yes if there is an "unofficial standard" it is to run Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. The REAL main reason is not because either is deficiant but because they use different methods for finding spyware. One searchs every file and every registry setting like anti-virus software would (Ad-Aware) and the other (Spybot) simply scans the locations based on the known profile/signatures of the spyware it detects. Spybot doesn't consider cookies spyware, Ad-Aware does. Ad-Aware Pro just adds the "real-time" scanning ability. If you have these two you don't really need anything else unless your the type that installs two deadbolts on your doors.

quote:

One neat thing you can do is to go ahead and accept "Gator" advertisements to get various free software packages such as DivX Pro etc etc... and then wipe Gator off your computer with Ad-Aware. The software downloads continue to work, but no ads <hee hee>.

That's actually illegal, in the US anyways... But who's looking.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 13
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/7/2004 8:17:57 AM   
pad152

I've used Ad Aware, Spybot and others, the best I've found so far is Giant AntiSpyware it's $39.95, but has a free 30 Day trial. It's the only one I've seen catch spyware while it was being downloaded. Beware support for Ad Aware is being dropped after the first of the year.

Here a link for some testing of AntiSpyware software http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-results-1.htm

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 14
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/7/2004 3:40:50 PM   
*Lava*

Hi!

Trying using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Stops redirects and suppresses popups real good.

BTW, I am not connected in any way with Lavasoft products.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 15
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/7/2004 4:29:09 PM   
tanker4145

I use the combo of webroot's Spysweeper and Window's washer, along with Norton Internet Security. Spysweeper is really good about not allowing you to download trojans and other nasties and does a pretty good search and cleanup. I'm probably going to add a free spyware detector like Spybot too to make sure I get most everything. Window's washer cleans out all the cache, history, and cookies (you also get My Personal Favorites for it which you can set up to remember cookies). It's amazing how much memory/disk space gets used up by this crap. I also like it since it will shred with bleach anything you want. What this does is overwrite the file you are deleting a certain number of times, usually 7 if you like. Good if you are somewhat paranoid about privacy like me. I do most of my banking online and always shred with bleach any cookies or downloads from my banks after I'm done with them.

I recently started using Firefox and love it! Windows washer doesn't clean out it's cookies and registry though which I don't like, but it's impressive how I have had no spyware on my computer as long as I use Firefox. A huge difference. I also like how customizable a lot of it is. Can't recommend it enough.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 16
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/19/2004 8:20:54 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanker4145
I recently started using Firefox and love it! Windows washer doesn't clean out it's cookies and registry though which I don't like, but it's impressive how I have had no spyware on my computer as long as I use Firefox. A huge difference. I also like how customizable a lot of it is. Can't recommend it enough.

Large reason is unlike MSIE, Firefox doesn't run/allow active-x which is an easy way for dataminers to use to get their tracking stuff on you.

I've not had to hardly worry much with Firefox, last time I scanned with adaware only 2 dataminers were picked up in last month... With earthlink I have a free spywareblocker running too, its from webroot and I think uses spysweeper technology..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 17
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/27/2004 10:25:48 PM   
Master Blaster

I invested in the full version. It's definetly worth the money.

MB

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 18
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 12/28/2004 1:58:47 PM   
rhondabrwn

Definitely switch to Firefox! It gives me TOTAL blocking of all popup windows (with a convenient notice bar to allow me to over-ride and display if I need to. I can't say enough good things about it! On our campus network, Firefox works better than Internet Explorer for university sites and utilities! I used to use Opera (which I also love), but ran into constant problems with sites that wouldn't display (like my bank). But Firefox displays everything!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Master Blaster)
Post #: 19
RE: Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? - 1/25/2005 8:33:08 PM   
RocknRoland

I have used AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware (all free) for years and have nothing but praise for them. I am all over the web and will usually pick up some, albeit a small amount of garbage along the way and these items always keep my system clean. As stated by Veldor, run one after the other (Spybot/Ad-Aware) to rid yourself of all pests.

Make sure you always update their definitions each time you run so you are up to date with the scum out there trying to infect your system. Also get the latest version (Ad-Aware has just recently been updated)

Two other items I would highly suggest as well are SpyGuard (DL and Browser Hijack protection) and SpywareBlaster (prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests. Blocks spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox. Restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer...ex redirects) Both freeware, highly effective and very small applications.

One last item I would suggest is IE-Spyad. This tiny item adds much more restricted sites to your IE security list which is updated at least once a week.

With these your system is almost like a fortress against the malicious crap out there on the web.

I am not in any way affiliated with any of these products other than just a user. My intention is just to enlighten others out there who, like me, want to feel secure in browsing the web.

I use primarily two browsers, Avant and Firefox. Avant is an IE clone with tabs (uses the IE engine) so it has IE's security problems. Why I don't use Firefox exclusively is that, though a very fine browser, it still has it's own limitations. It all depends on my purpose on the web as to which one I use.

quote:

With as much freeware/open source products out there for us, any dishonest ways of obtaining products that are meant to be bought should be seriously considered as NOT an option. Too many people have given their time and expertise in making them and I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot you too would not take too kindly to such actions. Just my opinion.

RnR

< Message edited by RocknRoland -- 1/26/2005 4:07:11 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Ad Aware from Lavasoft any Good ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI