Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please improve German unit designation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Please improve German unit designation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please improve German unit designation - 1/31/2005 11:59:04 AM   
CoffeeMug

Heya guys,

yesterday I played the first German vs- WP scenerio.

Well, as a German ex-tankie, it's no surprise that FG is a very interesting game for me.

When playing, I realized that the unit designations for German troops are partly wrong, for which I am sorry to say that.

German tank batallions ("Panzerbataillone") are NOT ordinal numbers as in 23rd tank batallion. Correctly it must be Tank Battalion 23! Why that, you might ask? Because the number "2" in "23" is inherited from the brigade number. Brigades' designations are normal numbers so no ordinals there, too. Before huge structural reforms took place in the 90ies, everybody knew that a battalion with a number in the twenties belonged to the PanzerBrigade 2.

Please see http://members.fortunecity.com/sni_tb/flecktarn-dt_struktur-heer.html with a nice overview on the different German army structures and the compositions of the divisions. In the time frame FG is in, please refer to the "Heeresstruktur 4" from 1980-1992.

Example: We have the 1st Tank Division with HQ in Hannover. This division consists of three fighting brigades.

PzGrenBrig 1
PzBrig 2
PzBrig 3

PzBrig 2 in Braunschweig consists of
- PzBtl 21
- PzGrenBtl 22
- PzBtl 23
- PzBtl 24
- PzArt 25

and so on.

Tank artillery battalions in fighting brigades ended always in a "5".

The 1st Company in any German fighting battalion is NOT a fighting company! It's a HQ, staff and support company, usually consisting of a recon platoon, logistic platoon, maintenance and repair platoon and several support groups.

Companies from 2nd to 4th are fighting companies.

Cheers,

Coffeemug

Post #: 1
RE: Please improve German unit designation - 1/31/2005 2:25:55 PM   
PzGren

almost correct, but the fighting companies are 2nd to 5th, in MechInf (PzGren) battaillons the 6th is the heavy, with mortars and AT-Tanks.
Designation examples:
PzGrenBtl 212
2. Kompanie
4. Zug

No letters in the official german designations, although in radio brevity, the platoons are abbreviated with the according letters (1st Platoon = Alpha).

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 2
RE: Please improve German unit designation - 1/31/2005 2:48:33 PM   
CoffeeMug

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzGren

almost correct, but the fighting companies are 2nd to 5th, in MechInf (PzGren) battaillons the 6th is the heavy, with mortars and AT-Tanks.

You are right, but that was only the case in peace time. Under wartime conditions one fighting company would have gone to a cadred battalion of the same brigade. Please have in mind that we are talking about Heeresstruktur 4, when the action takes place in a cold-war NATO-WP scenario in FPG. One hint that in FPG we have got a Heeresstruktur 4 is that German tank companies consist of three tank platoons with 4 tanks each. In Heeresstruktur 5 we have got four tank platoons with three tanks each.

With the mortars company in PzGrenBtls you are right, of course. But they are support, not fighting. :) Those AT-tanks you are speaking of, belong to the independant Panzerjägerkompanie of the brigade. In my example of PzBrig 2, it was designated as PzJgKp 20. Those tanks were moved to the PzGrenBtls during the 90ies.

Cheers,

Coffeemug

< Message edited by CoffeeMug -- 1/31/2005 1:58:43 PM >

(in reply to PzGren)
Post #: 3
RE: Please improve German unit designation - 1/31/2005 3:50:14 PM   
PzGren

Ok, I stand corrected. I didn't think of the timeframe. As I joined as late as 1999, well after the cold war, I don't know too much about the older structures. But if I'm not totally wrong (I'm currently not in a battaillon), we're back to 3 platoons with 4 tanks each in a company.

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 4
RE: Please improve German unit designation - 1/31/2005 6:38:46 PM   
Catgh_MatrixForum

Coffemug,

I sent you a private message. We will work on it.

Ron

(in reply to PzGren)
Post #: 5
RE: Please improve German unit designation - 2/19/2005 8:39:37 PM   
Catgh_MatrixForum

Just wanted to drop a note on this one and say the changes will not be in the upcoming patch. I have been sick for a couple of weeks and other real life commitiments have impacted the time I have to work on this. It will be ready for the next update though.

Ron

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Please improve German unit designation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI