Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/crashes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/crashes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/crashes? - 2/1/2005 10:39:44 PM   
Distiller

Me about 4 to 5 turns/days. (And I use the "back" button ;-)
Post #: 1
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 10:42:31 PM   
Tankerace

The only time WitP ever crashes on me is the occasional save bug. If Im playing an AI game, I can do 30-31 turns at a time before I reboot my machine just to make sure it all works.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 2
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 10:45:52 PM   
scout1

Never have encountered a crash, ever. Just lucky I guess.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 3
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 10:46:02 PM   
Oliver Heindorf

my machine is now running since Mid december 2004. I start Witp and I play it and I exit it and no problems. I have different tasks running in the back too. no problems here.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 4
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 11:16:39 PM   
von Murrin

I've had exactly three CTD's, not counting that obnoxious save screen exit bug.

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 5
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 11:27:55 PM   
janushm

once had the save crahs bug....thats all. since august an playing every day

the escalated quickly...

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 6
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 11:43:13 PM   
mogami

Hi, I play 18 hours a day. No crash ever. WITP is always running.
My machine locks up if I TURN IT OFF! I have to run WITP or my machine locks up hard.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to janushm)
Post #: 7
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 11:45:14 PM   
pompack

Get a crash about every quarter (my wall-clock time, thats about once a year game time) playing against the AI.

I guess that works out to be a crash every 300-400 turns. This includes the Save Game bug.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 8
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/1/2005 11:54:28 PM   
Genisis

None since i cleaned my fan.

Put it away it might rain!

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 9
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 2:43:47 AM   
Charles2222

I shut my computer off every day, but sometimes, like now, I will dare to run WITP while being on the internet, though I prefer to run WITP standalone.

So far I've approximately one CTD, or lockup, per every 4 days playing, in which at least half of those times while in standalone mode.

I have NEVER had the save game crash.

People are focusing it seems on the back button, but though I have no evidence to support it I think it's the speed button on the TF's instead. You ever notice how when you adjust it in certain circumstances how the box disappears and the 'mission speed' and 'cruise' are both superimposed on the map? For some reason I think it's that. I suppose if somebody that regularly has the CTD's NEVER resets speeds on TF's that would extinguish that theory.

I have seen no evidence on my own to suggest it's the back button or accumulation of them, however, any who plays this game over time is going to accrue them.

I also have a hunch it might be when you lay one box upon another. What I mean by that, is that you are in one screen, say a TF screen, and instead of closing that window and then going to the base screen, you just hit the base screen, such that the original TF window just gets laid over. I actually am in the habit of closing the window I'm currently on most of the time, just out of habit with other programs, but I sure do prefer overlaping if I remember to do it. I wonder if any of the guys who get these memory leaks are doing overlaps a lot?

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/1/2005 6:45:29 PM >

(in reply to Genisis)
Post #: 10
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 3:11:47 AM   
medicff

Used to never get, then as I got more familiar with game and want to make more efficient use of time and speed things up I started using ESC and back buttons and speeding thru replays sometimes. Started getting CTD occasionally in (trying to tie down specifics) the port/ships screens many times after going around map and getting back to Australia (about 1/2 a turn). Then I started saving more and getting the savegame crash with the ESC button, then it didn't matter even with exit.

After much reading I have eliminated use of ESC button, back button and wait a good ten seconds before exiting the Savegame screen. I now very, very, very rarely get CTD. Only time at savegame screen and wasn't sure if I hadn't waited long enough.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 11
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 3:23:01 AM   
freeboy

Funny, I was in the never crowd until last night when the database got funny and I ctd.. so after maybe 1200 hours one ctd

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 12
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 3:27:53 AM   
moses

I never had a crash to disk. Then about three months ago I had it freeze 2 or 3 times in one month. I have not had one since. Since I have the game up and running almost every day often for long periods ever since the game came out, I'm pretty happy.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 13
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 3:31:00 AM   
Rossj

I play 6 to 10 turns per day and have only crashed 2-3 times in the last two weeks

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 14
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 5:27:31 AM   
DrewMatrix

I am still getting rare crashes. Almost exclusively when exiting the Save screen (so there is no harm done, I just reload the game I just saved). Only happens maybe once a week.

I am being pretty hard on the game, BTW. It takes a while to load, so I tend to just leave it open, and Alt-Tab to something else (Email, spreadsheets) then go back in a few hours. Some of the programs I open may be the true source of the (rare) CTDs when I go back to WITP

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Rossj)
Post #: 15
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 5:43:55 AM   
jcjordan

I can get between none & 6 turns vs ai before the exit save game ctd hits. I do back instead of exit when going through the turn looking at the pilot pools, aces, planes, ships, etc. I tried deleting all other save games other than current turn, defrag etc but still happens.

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 16
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 6:16:12 AM   
bradfordkay

" My machine locks up if I TURN IT OFF! I have to run WITP or my machine locks up hard. "

At least that's what you told the boss, eh?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 17
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 7:45:01 AM   
wild_Willie2

only night fighter freeze up problems, and those can be fixed by pushing escape..

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 18
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 7:56:06 AM   
ChezDaJez

Had 1 CTD and 1 lockup... both times using the back button on the Intel menu.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 19
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 9:19:31 AM   
mapr

Witp integrated real deep on your system Cool....

18 hours? You must be joking

My computer have crashed while playing, but that was not Witp related.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I play 18 hours a day. No crash ever. WITP is always running.
My machine locks up if I TURN IT OFF! I have to run WITP or my machine locks up hard.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 20
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 10:00:18 AM   
soeren01

No CTD or crash ever.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to mapr)
Post #: 21
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 5:55:14 PM   
rhohltjr

Lock up often. When clicking on naval units. Last night only after 3 turns.
Again, noticed that CPU was 98% occupied at the time. Culpret according to Task Manager is
<drum roll> Witp.

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 22
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 9:12:37 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr

Lock up often. When clicking on naval units. Last night only after 3 turns.
Again, noticed that CPU was 98% occupied at the time. Culpret according to Task Manager is
<drum roll> Witp.

You're lucky. Mine goes all the way to 99% . I suppose when you get a CTD that the program is no longer observable through task manager.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 23
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 9:30:05 PM   
Mr.Frag

The game is designed to run this way.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 24
RE: How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/cr... - 2/2/2005 9:45:50 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

The only time WitP ever crashes on me is the occasional save bug. If Im playing an AI game, I can do 30-31 turns at a time before I reboot my machine just to make sure it all works.

Basically my experience. Add to this the occasional lock up when interfacing game giving orders. Pretty stable I'd say. Just sucks when I forget to routinely save during orders phase...a lock up only occurs when I neglect to save it seems. Murphy's law.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> How many turns do you accomplish between freezes/crashes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI