Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 1918"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 1918" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 1918&q... - 2/2/2005 4:11:18 AM   
dricard

It will be like "World At War" ( or Hoi2)?

Diplomacy, control production (tanks, submarines,...) , economy, and much more will be included in the game?

What about colonial wars?
Post #: 1
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/2/2005 5:04:01 AM   
Hanal

I think the game has changed a bit since the ADANAC days so I'll leave the details to someone who is more in the know....but I can tell you that it is not like HOI but more along the lines of Strategic Command in that it is a turn based hex grid war game...there is some Diplomatic features, for example, if you use gas in your attacks, it could sway a potential ally to turn against you...I do not believe the Colonial Wars are represented, as the game concentrates on Europe, and I believe the Naval War is a bit abstracted but includes concepts such as blockades ect......If I have misrepresented the game in anyway, I'm sure someone will come along and correct any gaffes I may have committed.....one thing I do know, and that is that GoA will cover an era that has been sorely neglected and will be welcomed by many gamers!

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 2/1/2005 10:06:33 PM >

(in reply to dricard)
Post #: 2
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/2/2005 3:41:32 PM   
dricard

Yes, that's true, many gamers are waiting for this game.
For that reason, I hope that MatrixGames will support this game more than CotD. CotD was a low budget project , a good game, but with limitations. GoA is a more expected game, so the results must be better than CotD. Now I'm playing a PBEM "Paths of Glory" game with the cyberboard system. It's a gives you some flavour to the wwi, but for me it's not the wwI perfect game, so for that reason I'm here wishing that Goa is the game that I was looking for. I know that Matrix Games imposes a high quality level to all of his games. Ones more than others. So, Matrix guys, take a note of this: this game must be in the top, a lot of people is waiting for it.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 3
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/2/2005 4:36:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: dricard
So, Matrix guys, take a note of this: this game must be in the top, a lot of people is waiting for it.

Noted.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dricard)
Post #: 4
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/3/2005 1:35:53 AM   
ojnab_bob

Hopefully it will resemble Clash of Steel more than Strategic Command.... I thought CoS, though quite dated, was the more realistic, elegant and interesting simulation. In any case, i am excited!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/3/2005 2:20:34 AM   
Hanal

If you have not done so, go to page 1 of the December Update thread....Frank provided some good screenshots and a mini AAR...though I understand that the map is going through some changes, you will have a good idea of the game.......

(in reply to ojnab_bob)
Post #: 6
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 2/3/2005 5:24:08 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: ojnab_bob

Hopefully it will resemble Clash of Steel more than Strategic Command.... I thought CoS, though quite dated, was the more realistic, elegant and interesting simulation. In any case, i am excited!

Clash of Steel - the Future Edition remains my favorite computer simulation of WWII Europe. I have a secondary computer set up to play DOS games at a comfortable speed, and I come back to this one over and over again. I guess a big part of it is that I am a dyed-in-the-wool boardgamer, and this game is steeped in that tradition. Besides, it's really well done (don't settle for the old Clash of Steel, which was buggy and needed serious sorting out before becoming a competent simulation).

(in reply to ojnab_bob)
Post #: 7
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 5/17/2005 5:33:41 PM   
huzzah

Hi, new to this forum and interested in WWI. Very curious about this game but unsure of it's format. I am not a big gamer so not familiar to a lot of titles but I am familiar with some. I've got TMW whose format I really like. I think the diplomacy is basically non-existent and I've got other issues with it as well but I do really like the battle resolutions. Is GoA similar in battle resolutions?

Are we there yet?

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 8
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 5/17/2005 7:38:30 PM   
wodin

No. GoA is more boardgame style wargame than a 3d game.

(in reply to huzzah)
Post #: 9
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 7/5/2005 7:02:05 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: ojnab_bob

I too love Clash of Steel. In my mind, despite its age it is still the best WWII Grand Strategy design produced. Unlike pasternakski, I do not have a spare machine for running DOS games, but I did teach myself to make a bootable DOS CD just so that I can continue to play CoS. I put it in the drive, reboot, and tada - it loads DOS and starts COS for me.

Anyway, while I think CoS was a great WWII system Strategic Command might be the better example of what a World War I game should be like. What makes CoS so great is the impulse system with combined combat and movement. That really allows the fluidity, breakthroughs, and encirclements that was WWII. WWI, in the other hand, was far more static with standoffs that ran across an entire front.

Guns of August was actually an Avalon Hill board game. I actually found my old copy not long ago. Anyone know if there is any relationship between these titles other than the name?

(in reply to ojnab_bob)
Post #: 10
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 7/6/2005 12:46:06 AM   
Hanal

No......Frank and Avaon Hill are not bedfellows in this game.....

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 11
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 7/7/2005 6:34:08 PM   
oi_you_nutter

what type of game is GoA ?

its MIA

it would be good to get an official update from Matrix or Frank on the status, if the game is ready to ship and the manual is the hold up then its a shame that the game is delayed by several months (or more) so close to a release date.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 12
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 7/7/2005 11:58:02 PM   
Hanal

I still believe some beta testing is needed before release, but it has been awhile with no news so who really knows?....thank goodness for CoG...

(in reply to oi_you_nutter)
Post #: 13
RE: What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 19... - 7/8/2005 2:33:11 AM   
wodin

Yes what the hell is going on with this game??

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> What kind of game is "Guns of August 1914 - 1918" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI