Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests - 2/2/2005 6:20:27 PM   
CoffeeMug

Heya guys,

yesterday my poor platoons of Jägerbattaillon 522 were dug in and were defending a village in positions at the outskirts of the village.

Now, as you expect, RED forces assaulted through the forests and opened fire on my precious platoons. It did not take much time, that I could hear the sorry sound of my exploding M113s. Two platoons lost in no time.

You can imagine that I am not really happy about the fact how easy it was to annihilate those platoons in an environment that gives disembarked infantry the maximum protection: houses, cellars and streets.

Of course, it can be coincidence that my platoons were wasted, but I suspect, please correct me, that the model how MechInf is operating in FPG 1.0. Infantry groups belong to their vehicles. When vehicles are destroyed, the passengers are dead, too. I am all with the developers, that the passengers share the same fate when the platoon is moving and in the transition from MOVING to HOLD or SCREEN. But when HOLDING, the grunts always dismount when fighting is probable. When the grunts are dismounted, the vehicles usually seek cover nearby waiting for orders the fetch the infantry men. That reduces the destruction of the vehicles bigtime.

I would like to suggest that the way MEchInf is modelled should be dependent of the current status of the platoon.
When the platoon is moving or transiting to HOLD or similar, then the old way could be kept. But when the MechInf is defending, the probability of a step reduction should be increased depending on the terrain. The destruction of the vehicles should be reduced and in the case of an overrun should be the same as in the open terrain.

When assaulting, a future feature should be to be able to choose between "LEG ASSAULT" (e.g. through woods and urban terrain) and "MOUNTED ASSAULT" with the according speed and kill probability.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

Cheers,

CM

Post #: 1
RE: MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests - 2/2/2005 7:49:35 PM   
RedMike

Sounds good to me. I like it.

Hannibal ad portas

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 2
RE: MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests - 2/2/2005 11:14:53 PM   
Real and Simulated Wars

quote:

ORIGINAL: CoffeeMug
yesterday my poor platoons of Jägerbattaillon 522 were dug in and were defending a village in positions at the outskirts of the village.
Now, as you expect, RED forces assaulted through the forests and opened fire on my precious platoons. It did not take much time, that I could hear the sorry sound of my exploding M113s. Two platoons lost in no time.

Hi Coffee!
How big were the Red forces you were facing? Company sized?
I am very interested in what you posted because I am having just the oposite experience: NATO platoons easily wasting entire WP mech. coys.
Cheers,

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 3
RE: MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests - 2/2/2005 11:36:32 PM   
IronManBeta

Coffeemug - I feel your pain too. It is very hard to tell from a written description just what particular factor tipped the contest against you in this case.

As a rule I do work out the defensive values as you suggest - if the mech inf is on the move then the attack is against the vehicle and if standing still, the attack is against the dismounted infantry using whatever cover they can find. Sometimes it is very hard to root them out and sometimes it is easy, it all depends on a host of other circumstances. My suggestion is that you keep experimenting and note what seems to work better and what not.

In my experience, a hasty attack against an unshaken defender - no matter what the odds - is likely to end in ruin. If on the other hand, you prepare with artillery, have covering fire and synchronize the arrival of your assault forces well with each other then you have quite a reasonable chance of success. The more you sweat the preparation, the longer your forces will last.

Just my $0.02 worth!

Rob

< Message edited by RobertCrandall -- 2/2/2005 9:51:32 PM >

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 4
RE: MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests - 2/3/2005 2:52:37 AM   
Jarhead0331

no comment...

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.

(in reply to CoffeeMug)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> MechInf defending urban terrain/forrests Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI