Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: December Update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: December Update? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: December Update? - 12/29/2004 4:17:32 PM   
mbatch729

Wow Frank!!! This is sounding great. An AI that plays a challenging game is a great accomplishment. Super job. Now, if the Artwork can get finished soon, release in Feb/Mar?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 61
RE: December Update? - 12/30/2004 12:40:45 AM   
FrankHunter

Well, the AI can beat me but then that's not saying a lot as I'm not a great player, in fact I once told Jim Cobb we should play each other in something since neither of us has ever won a PBEM game :)

In ACW the biggest headache was that Richmond and Washington are so close that AI problems are magnified because 7 hexes can be marched across pretty fast. I feel the same way here with the distance from Liege to Paris being so little. But the French AI does tend to overreact to threats. On other fronts there's more opportunity for the AI to rebuild its front after a breakthrough without it being the end of the world.

The artwork has been arriving quickly and it is all coming together. I still won't give out an estimated date until a new round of testing has taken place.

As for the gas rules, I think everything was implemented. Refresh my memory. Anything in particular?

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 62
RE: December Update? - 12/30/2004 12:43:37 AM   
FrankHunter

I should also add that the AI plays a much better game as the Entente than it does as the CP. Still, I lost the current game and the AI received no bonuses through the handicap.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 63
RE: December Update? - 12/30/2004 3:21:05 AM   
Hanal

"As for the gas rules, I think everything was implemented. Refresh my memory. Anything in particular?"

Damn! I should have copied and pasted your ADANAC TRENCH rules in WORD before you shut down...

Anyway, what I can recall is that there was a diplomatic penalty regarding your relations with neutrals if you used gas....does using gas cause neutrals to join the opposing force, or does it just push them closer in that direction?

Post #: 64
RE: December Update? - 12/30/2004 6:51:33 AM   
Veldor

Overall I like the map and "counters". I like the color coding by country to be on the counters and not on the map. I like the soldier graphics you have on them. Let modders do anything else they want with symbols Im sure someone will work up some quick.

The cities must go. They don't fit with the rest of the art. If any one thing is truly awful it is the city graphic.
The rivers need something more. More embossing/definition/outlining/depth. The mountains "jump out" at you but the rivers need more of the opposite "sunken" effect.
The "green" likewise needs something to spruce up areas that are predominately that color.

But the mountains, the areas like the Serbian Front shown are awesome screen shots. Just screenshots like the first one suffers by comparison.

Overall though my point is.. Great Job! Just tweak some things. Don't delay any further. You'll never make everyone happy!

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 65
RE: December Update? - 12/30/2004 10:48:12 PM   
fahdiz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

The cities must go. They don't fit with the rest of the art. If any one thing is truly awful it is the city graphic.

Agreed. I am loving everything else about the look of this game, and can't wait for it. :)

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 66
RE: December Update? - 12/31/2004 9:21:01 PM   
FrankHunter

JP, the first use of gas will cause an "outrage". The extent of this can lead to political changes such as advancing or retarding an entry into the war, same as changing your high seas policy to allowing u-boats free reign.

(in reply to fahdiz)
Post #: 67
RE: December Update? - 12/31/2004 9:56:01 PM   
sol_invictus

Frank, would the violation of Belgium neutrality fall under the category of an "outrage". What about the Zimmerman Telegram? Any others?

Post #: 68
RE: December Update? - 1/1/2005 9:24:55 PM   
FrankHunter

Invasion of any neutral can also cause an outrage.

You know, I don't have any mention of the Zimmerman telegram in the game.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 69
RE: December Update? - 1/3/2005 10:10:37 PM   
mbatch729

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald
What about the Zimmerman Telegram? Any others?

For those of us too lazy to look it up and are lacking in historic knowledge, what was the Zimmerman Telegram?

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 70
RE: December Update? - 1/4/2005 12:29:34 AM   
Hanal

In the age of the internet, it isn't that difficult to find these type of questions out....anyway, rather then explain it myself, let a GOOGLE SEARCH do the job for me:

http://europeanhistory.about.com/cs/americainww1/p/przimmermantele.htm

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 71
RE: December Update? - 1/4/2005 1:04:36 AM   
pzgndr

Speaking of historic knowledge, I've been reading Keegan's book on the First World War. Getting myself in the mood for this game.

Anyway, I just got through the section about the French mutinies following their disasterous offensive on the Aisne in 1917. Subsequently there would be no more French offensives for about a year. How would something like this be modeled in a wargame, and should it? Any insights regarding how GOA will address this and other "breaking points" for the Armies and national will? It's an interesting aspect.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 72
RE: December Update? - 1/4/2005 6:32:20 AM   
FrankHunter

French mutinies : When French morale reaches a low point, French units will defend normally but casualties from attacks and loss of territories are counted double against morale until overall morale stiffens.

Zimmerman telegram in a nutshell : Germans wanted Mexico to attack the US so that the US would be too busy to send troops to Europe. Telegram listed all the states Mexico "could keep" after this successful invasion :)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 73
RE: December Update? - 1/5/2005 8:07:40 PM   
mbatch729

Thanks guys.

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

Post #: 74
RE: December Update? - 1/5/2005 8:38:16 PM   
FrankHunter

Just to let you know how the current game played out. Germany collapsed at the beginning of 1918 when the French took Munich.
Austria, Bulgaria and the Turks fought on. Jul-Aug 1918 Austria collapsed. Here's 2 pics showing the situation as the Italians and British took Trieste and the Russians began to break through towards Budapest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 75
RE: December Update? - 1/5/2005 8:41:53 PM   
FrankHunter

In the 2nd pic that's Bulgarians and Turks and one Austrian cavalry unit holding the line against Greeks and Brits. And that's Romanians about to march into Bulgaria.

The Turks contol most of the Caucasus, Russia left only a minimal amount of forces there the whole game.

The game ended at the end of this impulse as the game ends when 2 major powers on either side have collapsed.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: December Update? - 1/6/2005 1:16:44 AM   
CSSS

Hexes....Can we have hexes?

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 77
RE: December Update? - 1/6/2005 5:59:34 AM   
FrankHunter

I should have made the captures with the grid turned on but I forgot to

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 78
RE: December Update? - 1/6/2005 6:56:50 PM   
sol_invictus

Hey, no problem Frank; just post ten more screens with the grid on.

Any thoughts on making hexsides black instead of the approximate terrain color? My poor eyes would appreciate it.

< Message edited by Arinvald -- 1/6/2005 8:06:25 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: December Update? - 1/7/2005 7:46:09 PM   
FrankHunter

Actually hexsides note supply control, so green is Russia, black is Germany etc. Some colours are hard to see though. I may just use black for all

Post #: 80
RE: December Update? - 1/8/2005 10:37:48 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Balkans map looks really strange, especially the north part (visible on the first screenshot).
Budapest is almost straight to the east of Zagreb (even a bit to the SE), while in fact it's to the north, northeast. Really looks very skewed. Also part between Zagreb and Pola...

Where's Belgrade on the second screenshot?

What's this unit in the bottom of second screenie that has red-white-blue flag? You say it's Greeks? It's not Greeks I hope. Their historical flag can be seen here:

http://www.fotw.net/flags/gr-evna2.html#wen
http://www.fotw.net/flags/gr-evna1.html#wfl

Ismail (Romanian port) should not be Romanian (I think it was part of Russian empire though I'd have to check). Anyway it's a inland port on Danube river, principal Romanian port in that hex should be Galati (also an inland port on the Danube, really should be in hex to the west but I assume rules don't allow inland ports), or even better - Constanta (in the hex to the SW).

O.

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 1/9/2005 3:04:35 AM >

Post #: 81
RE: December Update? - 1/8/2005 11:49:16 PM   
Harald1050

Servus!

I think Vienna is there (on the map) where Budapest should be.

Gruß
Harald

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 82
RE: December Update? - 1/9/2005 3:40:25 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Balkans map looks really strange, especially the north part (visible on the first screenshot).

Northern Europe doesnt look like europe either. Such a shame as Im sure the gameplay is fantastic. Anyway enough of that;)

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 83
RE: December Update? - 1/9/2005 4:53:46 AM   
Windfire

Looking at the angles of the coast lines I suspect North may be closer to the top right corner of the screens and not the top edge.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 84
RE: December Update? - 1/9/2005 6:54:01 AM   
FrankHunter

I don't know guys, are you sure you're not letting the borders throw you off your orientation? Borders are dynamic, as countries surrender, territory is lost. In the above shot, Belgrade is now a part of the AH empire. Now having said that, I'm not going to go to the wall defending the location of Zagreb so I'll check that one:) Vienna on the other hand I'm pretty sure about. As for Ismail/Galati, I think changing the city to Constanta to the south might be the best course of action.

Here's a shot of the map overview

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Windfire)
Post #: 85
RE: December Update? - 1/9/2005 11:56:40 AM   
Harald1050

Maybe this map helps a little bit.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: December Update? - 2/3/2005 2:21:59 AM   
Hanal

bump...for screenies

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 87
RE: December Update? - 2/3/2005 3:51:58 PM   
wodin

Frank,

The Southern coast of Britain looks odd. Holland seems extremely far away from Britian. It all looks very warped indeed.

Hopefully the new map has a better perspective. Infact the more I look at it the odder it seems.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/3/2005 1:52:08 PM >

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 88
RE: December Update? - 2/3/2005 4:27:44 PM   
dricard

Another question, Frank,

WWI was a war with quasi-immobile fronts. What will you do to make this game realistic and fun at the same time? What features will include this game to achieve that?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 89
RE: December Update? - 2/4/2005 7:42:32 AM   
FrankHunter

My opinion is that it wasn't the most dificult thing in the world to break a trench line. So you can acheive breakthroughs with artillery, gas, stoss, tanks whatever. My view is that what made actual breakthroughs on the western front hard to acheive was that the defender could easily rush reserves to the breach.

Manpower and supply, not trenches, are the key to holding a front. So its always possible to open things up. And of course when you do break through you have no trenches and for a turn you're ripe for counter-attack..

The east and the balkans tend to stay fluid but that could just be my play style.

One thing to remember is that the national morale will break if you lose too much territory so you can't trade space for time in this game.

(in reply to dricard)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: December Update? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI