Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitP Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Wish List Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 5:39:51 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: mutterfudder

Editor: Ingame.

I know this can be done.

Sure would help those buggy games more playable.

Well, an in-game editor probably isn't necessary, but as I've said before I'd really, really like to see a save-game editor, or an output from the game into scenario database files.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to mutterfudder)
Post #: 241
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 6:09:49 PM   
scout1

quote:

Well, an in-game editor probably isn't necessary, but as I've said before I'd really, really like to see a save-game editor, or an output from the game into scenario database files.

Go Steve Go !!!!

Thought I was the only voice in the wind on this one.

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 242
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 6:25:14 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

quote:

Go Steve Go !!!!

Thought I was the only voice in the wind on this one.

I suspect we'll be "P***ing in the wind" with this one, as too many players will say that it will interfere with PBEM...I don't really understand that (just don't play with cheats) and in any case it doesn't affect me (I don't PBEM at all). We can but try, however!

Steve.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 243
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 7:38:33 PM   
scout1

Steve,

Actually I think there is a best of both worlds case here. The current database files contain data for both sides. It wouldn't be that hard to dump just Allied or Japanese data.
Then only look at your side as you could tie the password to it for us pbem'ers. I think a majority of people have grown accustomed to sticky notes and sheets of paper lying around so don't think its a big deal. However, it would greatly ease the management of the game as the BIG picture will be easier to see. Not to say I'm looking for bugs, but this would root out a ****load (if they exist) as there are probably things being missed due to the shear magnitude of data being presented (and usually only scanned by us humans). If they'd had this the leader bug would have been ID'ed quickly and had all kind of data to work with. As it stands now, I my have Roosevelt at the wheel of the Kaga and wouldn't know it. Usually don't look (but I could have the computer look for me). Just need the csv files extracted from the database.

Post #: 244
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 8:12:04 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I suspect we'll be "P***ing in the wind" with this one, as too many players will say that it will interfere with PBEM...I don't really understand that (just don't play with cheats) and in any case it doesn't affect me (I don't PBEM at all).

An in game editor would be even more complex then the scenario & database editor currently as it has to deal with all the information, not just the setup information. Just too many potential paths to destruction coupled with the one obvious problem, it would be akin to me taking all the PBEM passwords from all the saves sent in a posting them here for all to read. I'm sure that would not make me too popular.

Post #: 245
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 8:17:49 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

I suspect we'll be "P***ing in the wind" with this one, as too many players will say that it will interfere with PBEM...I don't really understand that (just don't play with cheats) and in any case it doesn't affect me (I don't PBEM at all).

An in game editor would be even more complex then the scenario & database editor currently as it has to deal with all the information, not just the setup information. Just too many potential paths to destruction coupled with the one obvious problem, it would be akin to me taking all the PBEM passwords from all the saves sent in a posting them here for all to read. I'm sure that would not make me too popular.

And what about the night bombing? do you agree Mr.Frag that there's still something wrong with it?

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 246
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 8:26:56 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

And what about the night bombing? do you agree Mr.Frag that there's still something wrong with it?

Thats one of those tweek and see, tweek and see, tweek and see type issues. There is no right answer to most of those types of issues, one just really has to go with a gut feel on what seems reasonable and what doesn't. It got cut back in 1.4, it will probably get some more trimming in 1.5. Problem with this type of stuff is you have to do it gradually and see what the impacts are ... still have to keep the balance between the sides ... you'd be rather annoyed if suddenly the Nell bombed better then a B-29 due to making LBA less effective yet at the same time you're not going to happy is the Nell can't hit *anything* anymore.

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 247
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 8:55:56 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

quote:

Thats one of those tweek and see, tweek and see, tweek and see type issues. There is no right answer to most of those types of issues, one just really has to go with a gut feel on what seems reasonable and what doesn't. It got cut back in 1.4, it will probably get some more trimming in 1.5. Problem with this type of stuff is you have to do it gradually and see what the impacts are ... still have to keep the balance between the sides ... you'd be rather annoyed if suddenly the Nell bombed better then a B-29 due to making LBA less effective yet at the same time you're not going to happy is the Nell can't hit *anything* anymore.

That's very clear and i cannot but agree with your statement. For what can help, i think that many of us can give to you a lot of examples ( saves,AAR etc) of how the night bombing is still overated. The point is not damage sustained by the bombed AF( this is quite good at the moment ). the real point is the combo nightCAP useless-No op. losses even when flying lower than 6,000 fts.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 248
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 10:04:18 PM   
scout1

quote:

An in game editor would be even more complex then the scenario & database editor currently as it has to deal with all the information, not just the setup information.

From this statement, you are suggesting that there is more information (data-wise) from
Turn 3 (for example) than that contained in the setup database. True ?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 249
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 10:20:15 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

From this statement, you are suggesting that there is more information (data-wise) from
Turn 3 (for example) than that contained in the setup database. True ?

Yes, far more information. It is this same reason that you can't start a scenario with units split. You load the game, 1 unit is loaded. After a couple of turns, that 1 unit could be split onto 20 transports (now 20 separate units).

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 250
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 11:12:06 PM   
scout1

Does this mean that there are not enough fields in the database to support the splits and this is handled in the code ? If not, should just be a larger database file. Not complaining (much), but just want to understand why everyone is so content with scratch paper when there is a far more efficient way to do this and free us for grand operational strategy.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 251
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/26/2005 11:33:55 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Does this mean that there are not enough fields in the database to support the splits and this is handled in the code ?

it's around 60,000 records in the database file, no idea once it's running as I have not run into a hard limit on splitting units (there is one, just haven't seen it yet)

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 252
RE: Ideas - 1/27/2005 11:02:00 AM   
Distiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Distiller

# How about having avgas for airplane as the third logistics need besides bunker oil for ships and supplies for everybody?
# There should be a possibility to let pioneers build new railways, railyards and roads.
# There should be a possibility to let pioneers build auxilary airfields.
# The Jap industry should have a central screen with a possibilty to manipulate the industry on a single screen.
# Japs did ops in the Indian Ocean as far as the African coast. Chance to include that?
# The Fleet needs real waypoints. (I know I can do that with the "do not retire" option, but waypoints would be nice.
# Why not let the player decide shich ships to build?
# The whole industry system could be broadend and designed more flexible.
# The wholo complex of hospitals and sick bays is missing. An amphib assault without a hospital ships is four to five times costlier in lives.
# The aircraft database needs some serious workover (ranges, maneuverability of especially U.S. planes are often unrealisticly high)

Later edit:
# What about POW?
# If a unit is undersupplied its strength dwindles away, because troops (or POW) die of starvation.

Still later edit:
# By looking into the editor - is there a built-in hero factor for U.S. planes? Armor, firepower, accuracy, ... Hmmm.
# WHat's the point in not being able to evacuate USAFFE? Second class Americans?

Couple more Ideas:
# Landbased logistics: steam engines, waggons, trucks (like there are AKs, TKs, APs, only moving on land on pre-defined routs aka railway & roads)
# Engineers should be capable of blowing up on supplies and fuel
# The P-38 arrives a little late?
# CAS (close air support) missions for fighterbombers, instead of the fuzzy "ground attack"

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 253
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/31/2005 2:46:42 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

quote:

Frag, just to be clear: I'm not personally advocating an in-game editor, just a save-game one. Difference is subtle, but it's there.
Steve.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 254
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/31/2005 8:50:57 PM   
sprior

I don't know if this is in here but I'd like to see a "Date Sunk" or "date Reported Sunk" field in the ship losses box

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 255
RE: WitP Wish List - 1/31/2005 9:19:31 PM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I don't know if this is in here but I'd like to see a "Date Sunk" or "date Reported Sunk" field in the ship losses box

Been on the list since day 1 release.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 256
RE: Ideas - 2/2/2005 7:31:20 PM   
Distiller

quote:

quote:

# How about having avgas for airplane as the third logistics need besides bunker oil for ships and supplies for everybody?
# There should be a possibility to let pioneers build new railways, railyards and roads.
# There should be a possibility to let pioneers build auxilary airfields.
# The Jap industry should have a central screen with a possibilty to manipulate the industry on a single screen.
# Japs did ops in the Indian Ocean as far as the African coast. Chance to include that?
# The Fleet needs real waypoints. (I know I can do that with the "do not retire" option, but waypoints would be nice.
# Why not let the player decide shich ships to build?
# The whole industry system could be broadend and designed more flexible.
# The wholo complex of hospitals and sick bays is missing. An amphib assault without a hospital ships is four to five times costlier in lives.
# The aircraft database needs some serious workover (ranges, maneuverability of especially U.S. planes are often unrealisticly high)

Later edit:
# What about POW?
# If a unit is undersupplied its strength dwindles away, because troops (or POW) die of starvation.

Still later edit:
# By looking into the editor - is there a built-in hero factor for U.S. planes? Armor, firepower, accuracy, ... Hmmm.
# WHat's the point in not being able to evacuate USAFFE? Second class Americans?

Couple more Ideas:
# Landbased logistics: steam engines, waggons, trucks (like there are AKs, TKs, APs, only moving on land on pre-defined routs aka railway & roads)
# Engineers should be capable of blowing up on supplies and fuel
# The P-38 arrives a little late?
# CAS (close air support) missions for fighterbombers, instead of the fuzzy "ground attack"

Another idea:
# A list with an overview of "march to" units with an estimated time to arrival.

Something different:
Just been scanning thru the WITP directories and seen, that all the graphics are bitmaps! Wow! No wonder it needs a lot of memory. That is just a waste. Why not use JPG?

< Message edited by Distiller -- 2/2/2005 5:54:43 PM >

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 257
RE: Ideas - 2/4/2005 3:42:52 PM   
Arkady

BMPs eat place only on your HDD, not in memory. In memory all pictures eat same amount depending on picture size and jpgs eat your processor time just to 'decode' them on the fly

In current days HDD space is not a problem and it is easy for developers use Windows native formats of BMPs and WAVs than add into program some obscure parsing routines for graphics and sounds

just my opinion though

< Message edited by Arkady -- 2/4/2005 1:43:30 PM >

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 258
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/5/2005 1:46:59 AM   
scout1

quote:

Frag, just to be clear: I'm not personally advocating an in-game editor, just a save-game one. Difference is subtle, but it's there.

ABSOLUTELY

Post #: 259
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/6/2005 9:04:28 PM   
mikemike

Fuel/supply explosions on attack

I think there should be a chance of having a major explosion of fuel/ammunition (=supply) when a port or airfield is attacked, simulating a direct hit on a fuel/ammo dump, with damage to port/airfield and losses among LBU´s.

In the same vein, there are AE´s in the game. These were prone to explode with catastrophic results when hit (or sometimes also spontaneously). There was an explosion in Yokohama in 1944 (I think) which sank several ships, including the German auxiliary cruiser "Michel". There was also a German air attack on the port of Brindisi, Italy, sometime after 1943 that hit a ship loaded with ammunition; the explosion sank upwards of twenty ships and devastated the port.

Japanese tankers carrying Sumatra crude also seem to have had a tendency to blow up when hit (to say nothing of AVGAS tankers - Neosho was considered a floating bomb during the Pearl Harbor attack).

Maybe simulating the collateral damage involves too much coding effort, but it would be nice (and realistic) to have ships blow themselves off the face of the earth from a single 3in hit.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 260
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/8/2005 1:29:04 PM   
Distiller

What is the point in having fixed baseforces?

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 261
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/10/2005 1:33:48 PM   
Rainerle

Hi,
does anybody else think that morale checks for planes should be abolished in some cases, for example when specifically ordered to accomplish a specific mission. I don't mind low morale having an effect on the outcome of the mission, but not-flying at all is insubordination which should result in a visit to the firing-squad. The morale check might stay in place IMO when no target is selected (i.e. commanders decision), then the commander might deem, that a break is o.k. so he orders a no-flight for today. But when I say 'fly' the only answer should be 'Yes, Sir!', not 'ahhh, we don't feel like it today!'
rant off (cost me dearly yesterday)

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Distiller)
Post #: 262
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/10/2005 11:07:58 PM   
Zeke

A Wanted feature in combat record, and maybe in Ship sunk list as well:

to show my ship was sunk/damaged by which enemy ship/airplane...

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 263
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/11/2005 1:09:42 AM   
gottagofish

This post is long so this may already be mentioned somewhere else. In the Production mode, I would like to see a screen that shows what was produced yesterday and the last month by location. I haven't found a screen that shows me that just totals.

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 264
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/13/2005 1:09:44 PM   
sabreman1966mcs

One thing that has come out of playing Scenario #2 that would be nice is mid ocean intercepts. Having had several Japanese transports TF's steam past a few of my bases, where I had a Surface Combat TF set up to react, and had those TF's pass by unmolested as they weren't heading for a base was a little frustrating.

Soldiers generally win battles; generals get credit for them.
Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 265
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/13/2005 11:15:07 PM   
Jonny_B

Mr. Kid: 02-15-2005

My wish is simple. Ya ya ya
I would like to see the highest ranking combat leaders, and/or maybe even the sub commander names listed in the combat reports.

Even if the enemy combat leader names are listed, not very realistic maybe, this would add a new dimension to the report.

Especially, if combat leaders could move up in rank or there abilities are improved.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 266
RE: Information/Order Screens - 2/13/2005 11:34:19 PM   
Halsey

On the all ground units screen, for LCU's outside of bases.

Add Support Needed/Support to the list at the top right.

That way a player won't have to add them up to check support levels.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 267
RE: Information/Order Screens - 2/14/2005 1:11:20 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

On the all ground units screen, for LCU's outside of bases.

Add Support Needed/Support to the list at the top right.

That way a player won't have to add them up to check support levels.

Been mentioning that since UV days. Glad you brought it to Matrix attention again. It is one of those things which would make life simpler and is non-controversial.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 268
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/14/2005 7:24:37 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Hi,
does anybody else think that morale checks for planes should be abolished in some cases, for example when specifically ordered to accomplish a specific mission. I don't mind low morale having an effect on the outcome of the mission, but not-flying at all is insubordination which should result in a visit to the firing-squad. The morale check might stay in place IMO when no target is selected (i.e. commanders decision), then the commander might deem, that a break is o.k. so he orders a no-flight for today. But when I say 'fly' the only answer should be 'Yes, Sir!', not 'ahhh, we don't feel like it today!'
rant off (cost me dearly yesterday)

This morale check is completely off base. We've been calling for its abolishment or replacement with something more workable for some time.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 269
RE: WitP Wish List - 2/14/2005 8:18:36 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

This morale check is completely off base. We've been calling for its abolishment or replacement with something more workable for some time.

As long is it is not replaced with a morals check - I'd be in big trouble!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitP Wish List Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI