Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the Mediterranean

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> War in the Mediterranean Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the Mediterranean - 2/17/2005 2:15:23 PM   
toraq

Marky (the smiling guy ) has remind me that when I first played UV and WitP I thought it was similar to a wargame I made myself about the Mediterranean battle. It was called the Malta campaign and the UV and WitP engine would fit in this game perfectly.

The game covers from june 40 to nov 42 and the objective for the Axis is to conquer Malta and for the Allies to avoid it and to destroy the supply lines (convoys) of Rommel. It was only a naval and air campaign (in the Mediterranean): no space for the Afrika korps battles.

Axis: Italian and Germans
Allies: Great Britain (no US as they came after nov. 42)

The Axis have to avoid supply convoys to Malta and to Egypt (in order to destroy and invade Malta). For that purpose the Axis had (historically) plenty of resources

The Allies have to reinforce Malta and send supplies to North Africa. At the same time their objective is to sink transport ships which carried the fuel and supplies for the Afrika korps.

Naval warfare
There were some good battles in the Mediterranean during this time!. Italian Navy was the 5th major fleet in the world in that time. They had 5 BB, like 15 CA, many CLs and a hundred of DD and Submarines. And also the deadly MTBs and the Italian torpedo men which heavily damaged 2 BBs. Furthermore the Axis started to send U-Boats to the area in dic 41. Even in a non-historical scenario the two Italian CVs (under construction during this period) could be available in the game sooner.

The British had from 2 to 4 CVs operating in the Medit. Like 5 BBs, 10 CAs and many DD but they moved them quite a lot, depending on the movements of the German fleet in the Atlantic. (here the "political points" could be very important). They had ships in Gibraltar and Alexandria...so no so easy to destroy the Italian fleet.
They were quite active against the italian convoys, completely destroying at least one convoy during a night battle. They even bombed Genova!

Airwarfare
There were thousthands of aircraft in this area and thus a lot of attacks, air raids torpedo attacks, night bombing, dive attacks were made during this campaign

Italian air force was very powerful. They had deadly S-79 sparviero torpedo bombers, many good fighters (MC-200 and 202) which put up a fierce battle over the Malta skies. They also had a few four engine bombers so there are possibilities to hit Gibraltar also!. And their pilots were quite good since many of them were Spanish Civil War.
Quite similar to the Japanese: plenty of twin-engine bombers, previous-war exp.,...

The Luftwaffe was specially acitive in this area. They first appeared in feb 41-june 41 and then stayed there from dic 41. Only elite units served there: Stukas, Ju 88 and Me 109 Es and Fs. They wiped out the Malta air defense until the arrival of the Spits.

The RAF had a mini-air force in Malta which included (depending on the time) Gladiator, Swordfish, Beauforts, Beaufighters, Wellingtons, Hurricanes I, II and finally Spits.

So the fight is quite balanced and could show beautiful air battles over the Malta skies.

Convoy warfare

The Axis
Everyone knows about the Pedestal Convoy but there were many more convoys which were attacked, from Sicily, Sardinia and Crete. CAP from british CVs was crucial to avoid the destruction of the convoy.

The British attacked Rommel supply lines with everything available. Malta was the main base to strike transport ships. There were many skip-bomb attacks, night attacks, daily attacks...VERY brave pilots. And the british u-boat sunk a lot of TK and cargo ships. And the Wellington were used to attack the Benghasi port at night.

Political points
They play a major role. And they

British mediterranean fleet was always requiring ships to watch the Italian fleet. Also Malta air defense "stole" aircraft destined to Egypt to fight against the Axis. Wether a ship or the spits come earlier could mean the victory. British could spend p. points to get more CVs, BB, spits earlier,...

The Axis had the same problem. Suddenly a gruppen was retired to Noth Africa or sent to Russia. Axis could spend p. points to get more planes to the offensive, fuel for the Italians, an increase of the Italian ship production, early entry of german U-boats....

So, definately a bloody campaign, balanced and enjoyable. To sum up I´ll put some figures about ship losses:
British lost: 2 CVs, 1 BB (plus many other heavily damaged), 16 CAs and CL, 47 DDs, 46 SS. plus 96 non combat ships!
Italiand lost 13 CAs and CLs, 42 DDs, 84 subs, 23 MSW!!!.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by toraq -- 2/17/2005 12:16:15 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: War in the Mediterranean - 2/17/2005 2:46:20 PM   
janushm

ground combat doesnt work good enough for that. i guess

the escalated quickly...

(in reply to toraq)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the Mediterranean - 2/17/2005 3:23:28 PM   
toraq

There is no ground combat...Only naval and air warfare. Unless you want to carry on the invasion of Malta but that´s another history.

(in reply to janushm)
Post #: 3
RE: War in the Mediterranean - 2/17/2005 4:02:55 PM   
Drex

There were plans for a UV-Med but I understand that they were abandoned. Hard to imagine a Med theater without ground combat. That was the reason for the supply runs. Why leave out Greece,Crete, Malta and the whole of North Africa?

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to toraq)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the Mediterranean - 2/17/2005 5:09:53 PM   
toraq

Yes, of course you could leave Greece and North Africa because land combat there didn´t affect the Malta siege (historically) until Op. Torch. Remember that I´m talking about naval & air warfare over Medit. (the supply warfare) NOT the Afrika Korps campaigns.

It´s like in UV, they cover the south pacific area. In UV-Med they only have to cover the Mediterranean warfare. British have to send supplies to some places, avoid the destruction/invasion of Malta and attack italian supply convoys. Germans have to send supplies to North Africa (a certain number each month), destroy bristish supply convoys and destroy/invade Malta. Simple

Of course some things would have to change...Supplies (many kinds would have to be created: air fuel, tank fuel, ammunition, food...) would play a more important role in VP schedule. Base construction should be different. Malta was transformed to become a Mediterranean Alamo: more airports were constructed, aircraft protection sites...

If you want to include the air assault of Malta and Crete it should be possible but with another ground combat engine, I´m sure of that. It could be more detailed as troops involved were not millions.

Crete: 30.000 german troops against 30.000 british (& allies)
Malta: 100.000 italian and german troops vs 50.000 british

< Message edited by toraq -- 2/17/2005 3:14:08 PM >

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> War in the Mediterranean Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI