Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: February Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: February Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: February Update - 2/15/2005 5:28:53 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

Blast from the past. I remember having that one.

The first two that got the most play from me were Midway and D-Day, although the FIRST wargame that I ever got into was AH's 1914.

My dad bought it but put it away as too complex. I found it and the facination began.

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

yamma lol i used to have that game, first time i have ever heard it mentioned since 1982, when my idiot clumsy friend waltzed all over the board and crushed the little plastic tanks

I could never get into 1914. Guess I was looking for more "action" like there was in Midway.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 31
RE: February Update - 2/15/2005 6:18:37 AM   
denisonh

1914 got me interested, and I subsequently got DDay and Midway. They were much better. I wish I still had my Midway game, but I still have DDay, that is damn near worn out from excessive play.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 32
RE: February Update - 2/16/2005 3:07:36 AM   
Treefrog

1914 was a favorite of people who thought glaciers moved too fast!!
However, I enjoyed it for the opportunity it gave to pit against each other those classic matchups: Bulgaria v. Turkey, Austria v. Italy, and my personal favorite, Italy v. Turkey. Now, if we have EIA, we could explore the historical antecedents of many of those same matchups. If we had EIA.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 33
RE: February Update - 2/20/2005 2:03:43 PM   
HordesOfSerbs

Ardilla, spare me the crap. As a matter of fact, I cut code for a living and know software development in and out. But like that matters at all. Anyone with half a brain between his ears can figure out that this project is woefully behind and God knows what we'll actually get when it's released. And yes, I bought EiA when AH released it back when you've been peeing in the sand and played it intensely a number of years. I didn't have problems you have encountered - the rules took some time to digest, but it is one of best game systems I ever played, the right blend of grand strategy controlled by VPs and excellent tactical chit system.

Besides, if you knew anything about coding, you'd realise the simple fact that actually having a set of defined rules in form of a specific rulebook is actually much, much easier to code then something that you have to create, scope and playtest, because half of the job has been actually done for you. So stop whining how a very well structured, playtested and enjoyed EIA rules system is a "mess". What's a mess here is Matrix trying to reuse some of it's codebase and hack a different game engine to fit EiA, and a little bit of vice-versa to save some time and got caught there. In words of Peregrin Took: "Short cuts make long delays."

Marshall, I'm not having a go at you, mate. I don't blame you for anything. As I said I don't think this is well managed, because what your managers should be doing now is throwing some extra bodies on this project to put it finally to bed!... If I was in your shoes I'd be probably bored to death now anyway. You're doing your bit and we'll see what it's like when you guys finally release. And no, I don't think I'll thank your testers - what the hell have they been doing until now to find a biggie like this so late in the process?!

One last thing: people seem to think that the more they wait, the better the game would be when released. I disagree and I'd actually like Matrix to release whenever the game is reasonably playable between humans. Stuff AI and other fancy crap, because the alternative might be that deadlines are kept being pushed and it just gets killed in the end. Or, worse still, Matrix hacks it up, drops all hard bits that don't work and release some bastard with fancy name that actually might be playable, but it's not EiA.

So I'd fully accept that we'd get a buggy release that will be happily patched afterwards. I don't care. I don't care if we get a can of worms that costs $150. I'd still buy it, it's EiA. Just bloody release it.

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 34
RE: February Update - 2/20/2005 5:30:33 PM   
pasternakski

You obviously haven't been listening.

This project began as an attempt to cut a brand-new strategic Napoleonic game out of whole cloth. The initial design had not advanced very far when the project changed to a "port" of EiA.

As Marshall Ellis has pointed out, this is the point where he got involved. He has tried to work with the game engine that was beginning to emerge in the pre-EiA design and graft EiA the boardgame onto it. I am sure it has been a difficult and frustrating experience, and I am glad he has stuck to it. The TMR addition was bound to throw a monkey wrench into things, at least temporarily. I don't hear any "whining" from the design team, and I think that this is an unfair characterization of their attempts to keep the potential customer base informed about progress.

As a tech professional, you must realize that there is far more to game design than just "coding" the rules for an existing cardboard-and-paper simulation. For example, there's that little varmint known as the artificial intelligence that has to be created and integrated - you don't have one, your game will not sell. The vast majority of people who buy computer games do so in order to play solitaire. This is one of the reasons FPS games sell by the hundreds of thousands and sophisticated simulations that do not offer a satisfying computer opponent (like WitP) sell by the thousand or two.

So let's have some patience and see what the actual product is before criticizing it or labeling it as a failure.

(in reply to HordesOfSerbs)
Post #: 35
RE: February Update - 2/20/2005 6:37:24 PM   
coregames

I'd much rather the game be done right, and I am willing to wait as long as it takes to accomplish that. On a side note, pasternakski, is your icon a Crumb illustration? It certainly looks like it could be from Zap comix or some such vehicle.

< Message edited by coregames -- 2/21/2005 3:48:28 AM >

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 36
RE: February Update - 2/20/2005 8:43:28 PM   
pasternakski

It's Mr. Natural, the Man from Affighanistan, mentor to Flakey Foont and long-time grumbler and mumbler about how god runs things...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 37
RE: February Update - 2/21/2005 2:35:54 AM   
HordesOfSerbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

You obviously haven't been listening.

I don't hear any "whining" from the design team, and I think that this is an unfair characterization of their attempts to keep the potential customer base informed about progress.

As a tech professional, you must realize that there is far more to game design than just "coding" the rules...

So let's have some patience and see what the actual product is before criticizing it or labeling it as a failure.

What's the point of this post?... I haven't been listening? I got sick and tired of people tip-toeing and writing 'goody-goody' posts after an "update" that goes on like "we're almost there" and after two years a basic thing like TMR pops out of the blue. Stuff that.

Besides, you've got trolling from people that provoked me to reply in this manner who obviously don't have a clue what is this all about. If you haven't noticed, my post had two parts, one directed to ardilla, the other for Marshall. 'Whining' was reserved for ardilla blaming "messy" EiA rules for the delay; not for design team informing us about progress - although if they keep informing us in the same manner they shouldn't bother really.

Yeah, I know it takes a lot more to make a game, thank you. My point was that if you have a tested system like EiA with anal-like rules that are actually a very good form of user requirements, it is a half of the job done. But some tend to think if the rules are complex it takes "exponential" time to develop the game and you're gonna make errors along the way (implying you're going to spend a huge amount of time to clean them up, so we're all fine and dandy and "we're almost there").

That's bullshit and I know that from experience, because when you put something on the paper and start cracking it's just a matter of time and in how many chunks you're actually going to finish it. When you start changing the scope that's when the things like TMR start to raise their ugly heads.

And yes, if I may humbly offer my .02, you should be able finish it two years afterwards, unless you're under-resourced which seems to be the case here. Why don't throw an extra resource on it and raise the price of the game to cover it up? Because nobody knows how much longer this will actually take and perhaps it won't be wise to spend more money on it, perhaps?...

And for AI... It's a nice little essay you wrote about and I applaud the common sense you've unleashed on us, but that's sadly not the point. Of course they have to go through the motions and release some sort of AI. But you're implying it's one of those things it's taking them a long time to finish because it's a hard thing to develop (it is, BTW), hence the frustrating wait.

On the contrary, I don't think they have spent that much time on AI, nor they would at all. I think they have (or will) develop some basic heuristics that are not time consuming to code & test and leave it at that. I can place a sizeable wager that they won't bother at all with tweaking it so it actually plays grand campaign even remotely close to a human. As long as it does the battle and have some half-assed strategy about collecting VPs, it will be fine.

And rightly so, because if they start chewing on AI, judging by the time spent so far, I bet Matrix EiA will be a huge hit in the nursing home when I retire. If I was in Marshall's place AI would be the last thing on my priority list when there are issues with TMR and PBEM play - as I gather from some post elsewhere. I would even scrap it for campaign type play and enable it for scenarios only - it's a smaller scope to manage (only the military aspect vs diplomatic/economic ones).

So no, I'm don't have any more patience, and yes, I want to criticise how the project goes because the longer it goes, the greater the chance it would never finish (that is from experience as well). Mind you, I never criticised the product itself or labelled it as a failure. How could I, as all we've got is a vapourware screenshots so far, full of those ugly fuzzy counters?...

Post #: 38
RE: February Update - 2/21/2005 5:15:28 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hordesofserbs:

Appreciate the passionate post! Suffice to say, many things were done that I wish I could have done differently BUT that's not the hand that I was dealt! Oddly enough, I think I feel much as you do (Except for the slant on our testers WHO have done a brilliant job in my opinion)!?!?!?

Fair enough that I take these shots because clearly we're behind ... sorry!

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 39
RE: February Update - 2/21/2005 10:07:31 PM   
ardilla

Well Mr. Perfect or I may call you GOD?!?

Its very easy to tell how to do something in a piece of paper or in 50 lines post.

After reading your post I can tell you want to tell us the following:

1) You will buy the game for $150 bucks if it goes out tomorrow.

2) In other cases you are not going to wait and buy it.

3) By yourself you will had finished it already.

4) You dont like the counters.

5) Made Marshall lossing 15 minutes reading and 5 replying, making the game take 20 more minutes to be finish.

So plez, dont tell us how to do it and try to make some constructive comments in the forum, you and we will I appreciated.

Thanks

Santiago y cierra España!!!

Post #: 40
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 12:24:23 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: HordesOfSerbs
That's bullshit and I know that from experience

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Post #: 41
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 2:04:47 AM   
Hanal

I have never before witnessed so many "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" and "Backseat Drivers" that proliferate gaming forums like the ones I find here, and it is a shame that the developers have to read such tripe!....all of these nags need to head to Churchill Downs, rather than waste time, bitching, moaning, and groaning about the delay of a luxury/entertainment item....do people have real priorities or issues in their lives anymore, or has it indeed come down to the simple fact, that the delay of a GAME, can instill such fervor in those who are in need of one?

Post #: 42
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 4:41:23 AM   
Bluestew0

The facts are:

1) The project is behind schedule.
2) Some people are patient.
3) Some people aren't patient.
4) No one but the devs "really" know what is going on.
5) The sun will rise in the morning and life goes on, with or without EiA.

We can all continue to debate the reasons for the delays, post slams at one another or find other worth while activities to participate in as we wait for EiA to take a chunk of our free time down the road. How each person decides to deal with it is their rightful choice.

I chose to spend 3 minutes writing this post before playing some Pirates.
Have a day!

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 43
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 5:30:01 AM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluestew0

The facts are:

1) The project is behind schedule.
2) Some people are patient.
3) Some people aren't patient.
4) No one but the devs "really" know what is going on.
5) The sun will rise in the morning and life goes on, with or without EiA.

We can all continue to debate the reasons for the delays, post slams at one another or find other worth while activities to participate in as we wait for EiA to take a chunk of our free time down the road. How each person decides to deal with it is their rightful choice.

I chose to spend 3 minutes writing this post before playing some Pirates.
Have a day!

Very valid points....what irked me however, which prompted my post, is that people who are not involved in developing the game, feel it is their right to be critical of the people who are....freedom of speech is one thing, but have some respect towards the people who are making an effort to bring the game out.....no game developer should ever feel the need to apologize to anyone concerning the game that they are working on especially when it has not even been released yet...now if it is released and is so full of bugs that a can a RAID would not cure, then an apology might very well be needed, but then, afterall, isn't that why a game may take awhile to come out, in order to work these things out?....

And by the way, how is Sid Meier's Pirates?.....I have read some mixed reviews about it....

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 2/21/2005 11:02:05 PM >

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 44
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 12:45:27 PM   
HordesOfSerbs

quote:

Fair enough that I take these shots because clearly we're behind ... sorry!

C'mon now... Who cares what I rant here... But you know how this game is played - it's the developer who always cops it at the end if things go south, not Mr "Project Manager" who manages real good so far as I can see.

Best of luck and scream for someone to help you out while it's still feasible. I realise that might not be an option at all in a small firm, but at least they can't blame you for not asking.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 45
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 5:11:28 PM   
Bluestew0

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
And by the way, how is Sid Meier's Pirates?.....I have read some mixed reviews about it....

If you played the original a few years back, it is the same game with better graphics and a couple new tidbits added. Just like the original, it keeps me entertained for a little while when I want to be entertained by something that doesn't require a great deal of thought. It is not something that you will play for hours at a time but I find myself going back to it for an hour here and there each week. The kids love it, that is why I purchased it in the first place. The XBox is sitting unused and they fight over which one gets to play Pirates first. My diabolical plan is working.....to suck them in to PC gaming rather than the console stuff. :)

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 46
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 6:49:22 PM   
crenfrow

quote:

.....no game developer should ever feel the need to apologize to anyone concerning the game that they are working on especially when it has not even been released yet...

Now I dont totally agree with this. In a way when you place a release date out for the public, be it on your website or where ever, the developer has made a commitment. I look at it as a broken commitment/promise when they don't make the date. Don't release the date unless you are completely sure of the developement situation. It can be argued that Matrix has kept its customers "on the hook" with unrealistic time commitments. I understand everyone's feeling though, on both sides of the fence. I just thought I would add my 2 cents also. Cant wait for the game.

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 47
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 7:10:32 PM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: crenfrow

quote:

.....no game developer should ever feel the need to apologize to anyone concerning the game that they are working on especially when it has not even been released yet...

Now I dont totally agree with this. In a way when you place a release date out for the public, be it on your website or where ever, the developer has made a commitment. I look at it as a broken commitment/promise when they don't make the date. Don't release the date unless you are completely sure of the developement situation. It can be argued that Matrix has kept its customers "on the hook" with unrealistic time commitments. I understand everyone's feeling though, on both sides of the fence. I just thought I would add my 2 cents also. Cant wait for the game.

Having followed the gaming industry for a while, I KNOW that when I see a release date, I will not have a game in my hands anywhere close to that release date (at least in the vast majority of cases). Games are almost always released well after the originally stated release date (especially for wargames with small development teams). Granted that EIA is taking even longer than most projects, but anyone who thinks that a release date is a "commitment" or a "promise" is crazy. Release dates, especially when they are stated early in the development process, are optimistic guesses, they are not "commitments." And they are certainly not "promises."

(in reply to crenfrow)
Post #: 48
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 7:32:08 PM   
Hanal

Remember back in the day when you would get your copy of THE GENERAL or S&T and read the upcoming games list, peruse the developers notes, anticipate the posted completion dates, and in my case, hop on a bus to THE COMPLETE STRATEGIST in NYC, only to find that the game you wanted had not materialized on the shelf?..... and finally, when a game was released, you then waited for the next issue of THE GENERAL or S&T to get the errata rules sheet and a page of counters that you needed to cut out and paste to cardboard, because they forgot to produce them during the initial run?.....those were the days and yet some things will never change as it shows that developing a wargame is very difficult whether it be for the pc or made from cardboard and paper....

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 2/22/2005 1:12:07 PM >

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 49
RE: February Update - 2/22/2005 7:56:30 PM   
ardilla

C'mon guys.

Imaging that Matrix Games didnt have this forum in the internet, everybody will be worried and having not clue about when will be released and how will be the CEiA game.

Lets thank MG and forget about their "mistakes" or "release dates", at least we have this forum and get the good part of these, and use this to help them, not to asking every month when will be the release date, you know sometimes one thing comes out and breaks your schedule!

Regards.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 50
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 3:30:37 AM   
Bluestew0

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Remember back in the day when you would get your copy of THE GENERAL or S&T and read the upcoming games list, peruse the developers notes

JP, sounds like we had some major hobby and reading similarities in our lives...only the state is different. :) Remember the tiny complete games you'd get in the strategy mags? I think one of the magazines still does that....I forget which one. Damn computers have made me lazy. :)

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 51
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 3:39:55 AM   
Hanal

SPI's Strategy and Tactics was good with the mini games on themes as diverse as The Alamo, and Roarkes Drift (wish I still had that one) while The General concentrated on variants for their existing titiles...Companies then came out with different "pocket games" such as THE CREATURE THAT ATE SHEBOYGAN!.....those were indeed fun times for gamers........

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 52
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 3:48:54 AM   
pasternakski

S&T is still in print (along with Wargamer) from Decision Games. The quality is still excellent, and the people responsible are still pretty much the same (they even calmed Ty Bomba down enough to be a worthwhile contributor again).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 53
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 4:13:31 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

pasternak, I can't explain why, and it certainly has nothing to do with this discussion, but your new sig just made me choke with laughter

O.

Post #: 54
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 5:26:25 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ardilla

C'mon guys.

Imaging that Matrix Games didnt have this forum in the internet,

I would know just as much now about the release date as I would if they didn't have this forum. While I certainly found the earlier "updates" enlightening, the last few "updates" have been nothing more than "it's coming any day now".

I will be utterly shocked if this game EVER gets released.

I will also be just as equally utterly shocked if, providing it gets released, it's not full of bugs and holes ALL over. TMR this late in the development? Come on. Ellis might be doing a great job, but Matrix is dropping the ball on this one big time.

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 55
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 9:17:40 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

I would know just as much now about the release date as I would if they didn't have this forum. While I certainly found the earlier "updates" enlightening, the last few "updates" have been nothing more than "it's coming any day now".

I dont agree with you, sorry.

Here you had the chance to watch screenshots and know much about the original rules and the new EiH rules added.

And of course, we had the chance of make them correct the mistake of the TMR!!!

But if you think this is not positive I respect you opinion, but I totally disagree under my point of view.

Regards

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 56
RE: February Update - 2/23/2005 11:51:01 PM   
Bluestew0

quote:

But if you think this is not positive I respect you opinion.
Regards

Ardilla, you are a naturally positive person aren't you? :) I say that meaning it is a good thing as my line of work tends to make one cynical. The world needs more positive thinking individuals...keep it up.

BTW, how is the new government over there in spain?

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 57
RE: February Update - 2/24/2005 4:50:19 AM   
Titi

quote:

I dont agree with you, sorry.

Here you had the chance to watch screenshots and know much about the original rules and the new EiH rules added.

And of course, we had the chance of make them correct the mistake of the TMR!!!

But if you think this is not positive I respect you opinion, but I totally disagree under my point of view.

Regards

Well if only it could be true.

The few screenshots we have are showing the same since the start.

We know nearly nothing about the rules and don't have any answer about what will be in the game if not shouting loud. For example, i still don't have get any answer about the maximum number of corps taking supply from the same depot; four or unlimited.

To correct mistake, we must first know that they exist and so came back to the previous point.

The forum was more active before than it's now even with all the betatesters engaged. I would really like some comments from them if not from Marshall. The communication here is lacking and as result my desire to buy this porduct is following the same lane.

So i must agree that this project was poorly planned, and what is worked on now seams more game issues like TMR that really bugs. If not, why will it take nearly one month to restart the AAR.

Only MHO, but seams shared by others. So Matrix do something.

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 58
RE: February Update - 2/24/2005 7:50:15 PM   
rhodopsine

I had promissed I wouldn't add more to the debate, but I think that some things have to be straightened up.

You have to understand that there are things that we (betatesters) can say or show and some we can't and that, for various reasons. It can be because the current screens are temporary, or because some features are not yet enabled or because there is a bug...

You want AAR? Fine... I can show you some. I'll show France (or any other country...) crushing it's neighbours utterly because the AI currently is still baby level. The PBEM is suspended because of various bugs and because of the TMR issue, Marshall has quite a bit of programming to do. We're waiting for the new version.

And there's a bit more... Some of us are actually quite hesitant to post anything here. We do not want to start controversy, or endless debates about how come someone's favorite rule is not included and so on... Sure TMR was quite an oversight... But do you really know how much of an impact not using it has on the game? I played many live games, I always played it using the TMR... I had never really thought about the real impact of it before I actually played without it. And the issue of TMR had been flagged on the development forum even before it all started on the public forum.

Give Marshall a break... Ever since we started testing that thing (around the beginning of december) we have been harrassing him with bugs reports and change and implementation requests. I have a bit of experience programming and I can say that I've rarely seen someone fix things as fast as Marshall is. In about 2 months, he provided us with no less than 7 updates. And please don't start yelling about oh it's full of bugs... It's still beta but there are much less issues left than when we started.

As for the general feel of the game, I can say that in my opinion, it's as close as possible as what is EIA. Sure there are things that will be slightly different, because the general game mechanics requires quite a bit of interaction between players during various phases and some of it cannot be implemented on a computer without generating literrally hundreds of emails or communication. We're just making sure that those modifications will not impact significally the game flow...

All of the EIA betatesters are EIA passionarias. I don't think that any of us would accept any kind half-breed game that would not quite be EIA. Have a little faith!

Martin Paradis

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 59
RE: February Update - 2/24/2005 8:15:53 PM   
carnifex

This is just a silly thread.

Who cares if we all have to wait another two years for this game? Who cares what Matrix said originally about the release date?

Is anyone planning their vacations around it? Are there six people at your house right now waiting to play? Get real people. Give it a rest with the broken record release date idiocy. It's tiring and it's spam.

Can't believe people get worked up over stupid crap like this.

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: February Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI