Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game freezes during combat animations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game freezes during combat animations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game freezes during combat animations - 2/15/2005 12:53:40 PM   
castor troy

Got a new PC (Pentium IV 3.2, 1 MB RAM,...) and WITP freezes during combat animations. If I ALT-TAB out of the game and return into it the combat ends with the combat report and game goes on. Do I have problems with the sound bug????? Installed 1.21, 1.3 and 1.4. Everything should go fine. Im not a computer crack so is there an easy solution? Or should I just throw away my new computer and by me another one and hope WITP runs on it.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 2/15/2005 11:54:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/15/2005 1:43:03 PM   
castor troy

And I´ve got some real graphic problems now. All drivers are up to date. Isn´t WITP made for high end pcs? I´ve installed it on an old laptop of my company and it worked. It also worked on my old pc. Now I´ve got a brand new one and it doesn´t work.

If I hit escape before the combat animations the turn is solved normally. Now please don´t tell me to turn off combat animations because I really like to see them. I´m not that hard core to just imagine everything....

< Message edited by castor troy -- 2/15/2005 1:23:55 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/15/2005 2:44:53 PM   
castor troy

This is my dxdiag:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/15/2005 3:07:12 PM   
castor troy

I´ve replaced the original leadtek AGP driver with the newest nvidia driver. Same result.

I´ve set the sound-hardware-accelaration to "no hardware-accelaration" in the dxdiag but this made it even worse... I also tried without sound by renaming the sound folder - played without sound but it freezed during combat animation.

Please guys help me, how can I live without my favourite game!!!!!!

dxdiag:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 2/15/2005 2:37:12 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/15/2005 9:29:55 PM   
Mr.Frag

Go into your Bios and turn *OFF* Hyperthreading. It is the bane of most games.

Post #: 5
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/16/2005 1:19:07 AM   
castor troy

Done that, but no better result....

Any other advices?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/16/2005 3:27:36 PM   
Mr.Frag

Could be, follow the normal path ... rename your sound directory and video directory and try it then.

Post #: 7
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/16/2005 3:35:25 PM   
castor troy

Done that. Result: No intro, no sound but game freezes when the first bombs falling. Combat animations work if there´s only air to air combat, but once the bombs are falling game freezes. ALT-TAB out and back in and game starts going on until the next combat animation....

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 12:12:10 PM   
michel

hello castor troy!
I sent a message to Mr FRAG about the game freeze. I said the problem occurs when there is combat animation with boats only: air combats vs boats and naval combats.
it is a real damage for this extroardinary game!I tried many solutions with my gamecard(nvidia 6800GT) but no solution.Ithink it is only a graphic problem perhaps with the smoke in combat animation

Michel Talbot-FRANCE

Post #: 9
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 12:16:12 PM   
castor troy

Hi Michel!

I solved the problem by decreasing the hardware accelaration of my graphic card. Try to decrease it step by step, this could be the clou.

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 10
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 4:11:08 PM   
michel

Hello guys!

I had problems with game freeze during combat animation:aircrafts vs boats and naval combats. Castor troy and Christian told me a solution: put the harware slider in the graphic card program on the step 2. It seems the problem is resolved! I test more.

Post #: 11
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 7:03:07 PM   
Mr.Frag

Gee, that makes two people overclocking their 6800's ...

It is not just the motherboards that overclock these days guys ... the logic of cranking things up until they fail and then backing off just a bit for that extra 1-2% speed is just silly compared to a computer that runs flawlessly with no lockups.

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 12
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 10:29:11 PM   
michel

Hello Mr FRAG!

I have not overclocked my 6800GT. It seems the problem is resolved since i put the harware acceleration on the step 2 in the proprierties of my graphic card. The result is no acceleration 2D and 3D,but after some tests, now, i have not game freeze!

By!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 13
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/21/2005 11:21:45 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I have not overclocked my 6800GT. It seems the problem is resolved since i put the harware acceleration on the step 2 in the proprierties of my graphic card. The result is no acceleration 2D and 3D,but after some tests, now, i have not game freeze!

Doesn't work that simply ... that is just saying that your driver doesn't work well with your motherboard so disable advanced hardware support options and emulate them through software instead.

You have proven completely that the problem is not with War in the Pacific though which is a good thing.

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 14
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 10:03:42 AM   
castor troy

Okay. I´m really happy that WITP is running again on my machine. But if there´s no problem with WITP why does my graphic card work with every other 2D, 3D shooter, strategy,..... game I own (and there are a lot of brand new ones). By the way, I didn´t overclock it, theses are the standard settings. I turned it down to the step where direct 3D, direct x problems are mentioned.

But the most important thing is, that it´s running again. No problem to turn down the accelaration for playing WITP and increasing it again for all the other games.

So for everyone who has this game freezing "bug" not because of the sound bug, just turn down your graphic card hardware accelaration. It takes you 15 sec. - so no problem.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 15
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 10:05:02 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Okay. I´m really happy that WITP is running again on my machine. But if there´s no problem with WITP why does my graphic card work with every other 2D, 3D shooter, strategy,..... game I own (and there are a lot of brand new ones). By the way, I didn´t overclock it, these are the standard settings. I turned it down to the step where direct 3D, direct x problems are mentioned.

But the most important thing is, that it´s running again. No problem to turn down the accelaration for playing WITP and increasing it again for all the other games.

So for everyone who has this game freezing "bug" not because of the sound bug, just turn down your graphic card hardware accelaration. It takes you 15 sec. - so no problem.

oops, sorry.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 2/22/2005 9:05:34 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 1:31:27 PM   
eltaco

Hi!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth

I have 6800gt ,2.6 512mb ram ,never had probelm with game with any drivers ...alsoi have built in sound on motherboard .

wheni did have a problem with freezing during combat was wheni think i lowered the delays for messages ,and combat screens ie......naval vs naval etc,,, air vs naval try to keep around .7 to 1.5 on settings in preferences ,if set below .7 sometimes it will freeze..

Also iplay all first person shhoters and al lwar games hyperthreading i never had problem with...

i would check your memory timings in bios lower a little see if that helps ......

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 17
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 5:06:38 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

But if there´s no problem with WITP why does my graphic card work with every other 2D, 3D shooter, strategy

Go download 3DMark and run it in test loop mode. Safe bet you will hang or crash. Just because game xyz doesn't happen to crash because of the methods used doesn't mean something else will not do it. WitP uses raw BMP files for the maps (the reason they are so big). This puts a high load on your video card & memory. Switching to the newer type of FPS shooters that do not use these methods is like giving your card the day off.

Games are not a good benchmark of system stability, testing software designed to push the parts to 100% use continuously is the only way to test.

Post #: 18
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 10:39:35 PM   
michel

Hello Mr FRAG,
i read the castor troy message, and i say i am according with him about the problem of the game freeze.I play numerous strategic games and i rarely have difficulties with my graphic card(6800GT 256MB). Really it is a compromise but not a good solution to be forced to modify the hardware setup with no directx emulation. I am happy now to play WITP without game freeze in combat animation but it will be very interesting to solve that issue with a next patch.I repeat, WITP is a very good game and without some bug it will be fabulous

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 19
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/22/2005 10:57:56 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Really it is a compromise but not a good solution to be forced to modify the hardware setup with no directx emulation.

I guess I am not explaining this well ... The *game* uses Directx calls to access stuff. It does not access the video card ever, it accesses the abstraction interface for Directx. This makes it *not* matter what type of hardware you have. That was the whole design purpose behind DirectX, to separate the software guys from the hardware guys to bring an end to the decades of finger pointing.

The fact that changing the *hardware* interface in Directx clears up your problem means *absolutely* *100%* of the time that you have a *hardware/driver* problem with the system that prevents it from operating with the *hardware* *acceleration* routines within the device driver.

There is absolutely *nothing* that can be done at a software level to fix hardware compatibility problems. You need either new device drivers or new motherboard bios flash or an engineering change to the hardware.

I really don't understand why people get so stubborn about this. nVidia & ATI (the two leading video card makers) publish new hardware drivers with fixes every couple of weeks. Motherboard manufacturers produce new bios revisions all the time to fix problems at their end ... YET ... somehow is it always the software's fault?

No one is going to say there are not bugs in WitP, I am just saying that WitP software bugs have nothing to do with your problem and will never be resolved by patches to WitP as WitP is *not* the problem.

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 20
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 2:30:42 AM   
Gem35

I have a new computer that I built to replace my old dinosaur computer. It has an AMD 64 3000+ cpu installed compared to a 1.3 duron system I had been using. I had alot of game freezes, CTD's and numerous other problems running this game with the old system. Quite frankly it gave me added incentive to build my new 'game' rig. Bottom line is WitP had nothing to do with my problems, they were mostly overheating and over taxing and old drivers and such. I play WitP sometimes over 18-20 hrs straight and my computer has never frozen or ctd .This game does however put 100% load on your computer and perhaps maybe some problems with game freezes may be heat related. When is the last time you cleaned your fans/heatsink/power supply? Just a little positive feedback for you folks .

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 21
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 10:00:52 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

But if there´s no problem with WITP why does my graphic card work with every other 2D, 3D shooter, strategy

Go download 3DMark and run it in test loop mode. Safe bet you will hang or crash. Just because game xyz doesn't happen to crash because of the methods used doesn't mean something else will not do it. WitP uses raw BMP files for the maps (the reason they are so big). This puts a high load on your video card & memory. Switching to the newer type of FPS shooters that do not use these methods is like giving your card the day off.

Games are not a good benchmark of system stability, testing software designed to push the parts to 100% use continuously is the only way to test.

Can I use the demo version or do I have to pay the $ 15? Don´t want to download 174 MB if I can´t really use it without registering.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 22
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 12:19:59 PM   
michel

Hello GEM35

i have not heat problem with my processor and graphic card : 48°- 50° max.It's an other cause perhaps driver but i test the game with the last one WHQL from nvidia and the only solution i have actually is to put the harware acceleration on the step 2 on the left of the slider.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 23
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 4:54:22 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

demo version

Post #: 24
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 4:55:22 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: michel

Hello GEM35

i have not heat problem with my processor and graphic card : 48°- 50° max.It's an other cause perhaps driver but i test the game with the last one WHQL from nvidia and the only solution i have actually is to put the harware acceleration on the step 2 on the left of the slider.

Whats your motherboard ? have you checked their web site for bios updates?

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 25
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 7:02:15 PM   
michel

Hello mr FRAG
my motherboard is ASUS P4P800-E deluxe with bios 1004 09/2004

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 26
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 7:10:02 PM   
michel

Mr FRAG

since i change the settings of my graphic card(6800GT) -slider on the step 2 i note that my scrolling is more fast . the cursor of my mouse move faster!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 27
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/23/2005 7:22:02 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

since i change the settings of my graphic card(6800GT) -slider on the step 2 i note that my scrolling is more fast . the cursor of my mouse move faster!

The mysteries of hardware. Thanks for making me even happier that I shelled out the *extra* bucks for the P4C800-E Deluxe

(in reply to michel)
Post #: 28
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/24/2005 2:06:42 AM   
Gem35

Maybe you Intel fanboys should go for AMD they are far superior systems for games, but I don't want to start an argument on that subject.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 29
RE: Game freezes during combat animations - 2/24/2005 4:31:00 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Maybe you Intel fanboys should go for AMD they are far superior systems for games, but I don't want to start an argument on that subject.

Not an Intel Fanboy, the AMD 64's were not available when I built this puppy. My last box was a AMD 1.44c and did a nice job of keeping me warm during our Canadian winters.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game freezes during combat animations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI