Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 5:33:26 AM   
thebeis

Hello again,
I have docked all my fleet Carriers (CV) in Pearl Harbor for a few turns to upgrade with the VBF squadrons.

Now a few of those VBF squadrons are Kamikazee units.

And most of the VBF squadrons have 9 planes with 27 in reserve with no pilots.

Version 1.4 started at 1.3
It is February 5, 1945
Scenario 15

There seems to be problems with the VBF upgrade.

< Message edited by thebeis -- 2/23/2005 3:35:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 3:14:47 PM   
PeteG662

Could it be possible corruption of the game files due to the upgrade?

(in reply to thebeis)
Post #: 2
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 4:56:21 PM   
Mr.Frag

corruption likly due to fragment getting copied into a slot that *had* a kami unit and not clearing the flag from the kami during the copy.

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 3
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 8:23:37 PM   
thebeis

This is the same game where I had several B-29 units go Kamikazee when the Japanese moved into Changsa.

The B-29s went Kamikazee when I moved the "Parent Unit" to Chungking and left damaged units behind.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 8:28:36 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebeis

This is the same game where I had several B-29 units go Kamikazee when the Japanese moved into Changsa.

The B-29s went Kamikazee when I moved the "Parent Unit" to Chungking and left damaged units behind.

Right, thats exactly where these types of problems happen ... a new unit is created during a movement (because parts are left behind).

The new unit lands into a spot where some other unit happened to be previously (in this case a kami) and poof, you become a kami as you pick up the kami bit because it happened to be left over data from the previous unit.

(in reply to thebeis)
Post #: 5
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 8:38:56 PM   
byron13

Well, I don't see what the problem is. I think it's always a good idea as the Allies to have a few tricks up one's sleeve. Also, as with WMD, having one's own weapons of semi-mass destruction (WSMD - in this case kamikazes) is a strong deterrent to the other side's use of WSMD.

Frag, your last post left me with questions. Do I understand that you believe the problem was due to the mid-game upgrade?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/23/2005 9:34:15 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Frag, your last post left me with questions. Do I understand that you believe the problem was due to the mid-game upgrade?

Nope. When programming ... if i say copy these three parts to location 1 2 and 3, only those 3 locations get updated ... in this kind of a case, location 4 happens to be where the True/False for Kamikasi lives so I *inherit* the setting. The correction is to copy 1,2,3 and ZERO out the contents of 4 so it does not get left in an undetermined state.

"C" is one of those evil languages when it comes to stuff like this as it leaves 100% of this type of cleanup to the coder.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 7
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/24/2005 1:55:32 AM   
byron13

Not that this furthers development of the game in any way, but I'm trying to understand.

You've got a Kamikaze unit, and its information is in locations 1, 2, and 3 with an additional T/F tag in location 4. A fragment is formed, and that fragment Kamikaze's information is put in locations 101, 102, 103, and 104, which are all linked. Later, the fragment rejoins the unit, and the information in 101, 102, and 103 is zeroed out or otherwise tagged as not being current or accessible information.

Later, a fragment of the Famous Fighting First is formed, and the information for this fragment unit is placed in 101, 102, and 103 because they are available locations by whatever program rule. Because 104 was not previously zeroed out, it still has True in that byte, and when the Famous Fighting First fragment moves into that location, it inherits the True Statement. Is this kinda/sorta right?

If so, when the Fighting First fragment recombines, does it take the True statement with it, corrupting the parent?

Bottom line is that this is a buggish issue that any of us can expect to come across at some point - even in 1.5?

< Message edited by byron13 -- 2/23/2005 11:56:42 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/24/2005 4:29:16 AM   
Mr.Frag

It's being worked on like everything else.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 9
RE: VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee - 2/27/2005 5:38:09 PM   
eMonticello

From my experience running a AI vs. AI game, once the fragment recombines with the parent, the pilots come back to their senses. In other words, no more kamikazi ... until another unit creates a fragment, this is. Once a month I would take control of both sides to recombine those fragments using CVEs to ferry them to their parents. What a pain.

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

If so, when the Fighting First fragment recombines, does it take the True statement with it, corrupting the parent?

< Message edited by eMonticello -- 2/27/2005 3:41:08 PM >

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> VBF Squadrons went Kamikazee Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI