Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Are your Game Prefs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What Are your Game Prefs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 9:39:19 AM   
Crimguy

Really just curious what everyone's settings are.

Combat Animations (y/n)? Combat Summaries (y/n)?
Message delay settings, hexes on/off, custom map graphics, mods, etc?

I'm still gettin used to the game (just finished Marianas, and am starting Rising Sun), and wonder if I might be missing out on something with my current settings:

1/2 second messages
No combat animations
Yes combat summaries
Using Subchaser's map mod with hexes on.
Post #: 1
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 2:30:52 PM   
m10bob

Most everything is turned down real low,(except bombardment since that UV screen was taken away),naval battles are still full,no combat summary,and I use Andrew Brown's map mod,(though I am waiting for him to release a full hex map,like his example 4..)

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 2
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 2:38:37 PM   
tsimmonds

With no animations you are missing important info regarding ground combat, the actual and adjusted strengths of the attacking and defending forces. This is one of the few non-FOW'd bits of intel you can get, and in a combat situation that is not resolved with a single attack it is absolutely essential to have. I leave ground combat delay on max also for this reason (I always write the values down so I can track what is happening from one attack to the next).

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 2/23/2005 7:58:41 AM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 3:25:06 PM   
scout1

quote:

With no animations you are missing important info regarding ground combat, the actual and adjusted strengths of the attacking and defending forces. This is one of the few non-FOW'd bits of intel you can get, and in a combat situation that is not resolved with a single attack it is absolutely essential to have.

This is one that 2by3 needs to figure out an alternate/additional means of providing this data. I agree it is necessary, but would really like another means of getting it WITHOUT
watching the combat.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 4
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 3:27:41 PM   
tsimmonds

Me too. Makes me cranky to have to sit through 20 minutes of ground combat routine watching 25 units attacking 34 units at Manila, just so I can see these 4 numbers at the end.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 5
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 4:32:15 PM   
Feinder

I set the delays to "0.1" for everything but
1. Ship vs. Ship = 1.0
2. Air vs. Ship = 1.0
3. Ground vs. Ground = 4.5 (max).

This warp-speeds thru all the "informational messages" and the zillions of recon flight. Also, air-to-ground and airt-to-air zips by. There's no point watching LBA bomb LCUs and AFs, there's nothing useful there except the number of hits (in the summary).

I keep ship vs. ship up, because I actually watch most of the battles. It's important to know what's actually hitting your ship, and if it penetrates. Even a whopping 27 hits vs. a CL can be (relatively) harmless, if they're all from secondary (5" or smaller) guns. But it's important to know if 2 or 3 of them are from a 6" gun or not, because -those- are the ones that are gonna hurt.

I often watch the air vs. ships, altho not always. It's a forgone conclusion that anything will penetrate an AP or DD. But something like my LBA vs. a CL might penetrate (or might not), so that's something I watch.

For subs, I usually just click off. But it is fun to watch a sub put a pair torps into a tanker and get the critical "*** Severe Fires Below Deck***". I have no idea what it means (in game terms), but it's nice to see.

Again, I'm watching to see if the weapons pentrated or not.

And in the case of ground combat, depending on the battle I'll wait the whole thing out, so that I can see the "adjusted assault strenghts".

I put up the range rings also. They're actually not that precise (since they're circles, and the map is hexes). But it's a good estimate, and if the range is on the edge, I can just pull up the stats for the plane.

-F-

Oh, and I use the plane top/side mods, and the TF image mod. The pics are very well done!

< Message edited by Feinder -- 2/23/2005 9:33:43 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 6
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 4:48:29 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Me too. Makes me cranky to have to sit through 20 minutes of ground combat routine watching 25 units attacking 34 units at Manila, just so I can see these 4 numbers at the end.

Of course,at the end of my turns,I do have the option of going to the very top and pulling the "combat reports" down for that entire turn.I can then be selective about the battle results I want to study without wasting half an hour of my precious time watching those all too lengthy battles..

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 7
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 5:10:51 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Of course,at the end of my turns,I do have the option of going to the very top and pulling the "combat reports" down for that entire turn.I can then be selective about the battle results I want to study without wasting half an hour of my precious time watching those all too lengthy battles..

Sure, except that those 4 numbers do not appear on the Combat Reports. This has been requested on the wish list.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 5:42:46 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

quote:

With no animations you are missing important info regarding ground combat, the actual and adjusted strengths of the attacking and defending forces. This is one of the few non-FOW'd bits of intel you can get, and in a combat situation that is not resolved with a single attack it is absolutely essential to have.

This is one that 2by3 needs to figure out an alternate/additional means of providing this data. I agree it is necessary, but would really like another means of getting it WITHOUT
watching the combat.

Watching land combat is like watching grass grow...way too long.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 9
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 6:34:19 PM   
Charles2222

I have some pretty long combat animations. The way I figure it I'm spending like 45 minutes to an hour each turn checking things and giving orders, after all that sometimes boring work, I sure want to sit back and watch the computer go at it. I suppose for most turns my animations don't total more than 5-10 minutes. I especially key on submarine raids and air combat. The huge air raids like the PH attack are hugely burdensome but the some later turns where PI air is knocked out or Singapore isn't putting up much opposition it's more interesting and I'll let it play out. If they get too long-winded then I'll esc. out of them.

I also have ground combat on, but most of the time I esc. out of them, though sometimes reading the displays seems to help some.

I wouldn't play this game if I didn't have air-to-ship or ship-to-ship animations, as I got so used to those with PW. A lot of times hearing the fly-bys of planes and hearing the explosions gets me more into the game, but there is a point where it gets a bit much, but heavy raids will do that to you. Another 45 minutes of plotting again will have me enjoying the noises all over again if there's not that many battles going on.

For the most part I totally ignore the combat summaries when it comes time to possibly seeing them again the next turn, though I will look them over imeediately after the animation, even if I did watch an entire battle.

IMO this game is way too boring and tedious, especially if you're playing the early Japanese, to not have the reward of hearing an explosion every now and again.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 2/23/2005 10:35:54 AM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 10
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 6:40:49 PM   
Crimguy

Those animations drive me nuts. They take way too long and the combat summaries are enough to keep me occupied. However, I'm not sure I'm happy that I'm missing some data by turning the animations off. That definitely needs to be rectified, but I guess I'll turn those animations back on to see if my opinion of them has changed since August.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 11
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 6:47:12 PM   
Nikademus

I play with the Ron Saueracker option turned on.

This causes your opponent to suffer a series of unfortunate events in game play.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 12
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 7:46:56 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Those animations drive me nuts. They take way too long and the combat summaries are enough to keep me occupied. However, I'm not sure I'm happy that I'm missing some data by turning the animations off. That definitely needs to be rectified, but I guess I'll turn those animations back on to see if my opinion of them has changed since August.

Probably the wisest thing to do is have them on and then hit esc when it bores you. There really are times when I want to see nitty gritty detail, such as submarine battles. When I'm seeing the type of DC being thrown, for example, I can see over time whether I just shouldn't retire those with the inferior charges or not. Also, over time, since my ASW gets so few contacts, and I really so think I will do this, though I only now just thought of it (maybe begin when I restart with v1.5) is to actually write down which ships EVER get to the point of throwing ANY DC's, it's that bad most of the time. This might help me to figure out which ones are credited with having sonar. It seems to me if they don't have sonar, especially since I haven't seen not once an Allied sub not dive deep before they're attacked, the game will probably prohibit them from EVER finding the sub.

I'm around 2/7/42 right now. I have maybe like 40-50 ASW attempts per turn, at least. I get "maybe" 1-2 ships that ever find the sub. Of course them ever getting is maybe 1-in-5 at best. Only one sub of the Allies was sunk and it took several turns by more then one ship finding it from different ASW TF's.

One time I decided to play the Allies with the historic 1st turn, with the exact same settings. Funny, the George XVI sub or whatever it's called outside Saigan was attacked by a Japanese group. Either they all found and hit the sub or one of them missed out of maybe 7 ships. Amazing the extreme difference the computer managed with what probably wasn't even an ASW group (I don't think the Japanese actually have any formed on 12/7). I don't think I've ever seen more than one ship find a sub per battle when playing as the Japanese when "I'm" controlling them. This may explain why we get such radical opposites in this game claiming how the enemy ASW for both sides is way too effective. It's probably because the AI is given some huge bonus to where they can actually detect subs, but also hit like crazy when they do.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 13
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/23/2005 8:22:59 PM   
Tom Hunter

I find that (on my old slow win98 machine) the combat animations get slower and slower and then they crash the machine. So I play without them.

If they did not crash the game I might run them but currently its not worth it. Oddly this only happens in PBEM. When I play the AI (which I nolonger do) they run slow but work fine.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 14
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/24/2005 12:06:51 AM   
BraveHome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

This warp-speeds thru all the "informational messages" and the zillions of recon flight. Also, air-to-ground and airt-to-air zips by.

Important thing you're missing then (not watching the recon flights) is the composition of enemy fighters who attempt an intercept. Can give you precious info on where, for example, the AVG is (or isn't) in China....

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 15
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/24/2005 12:24:34 AM   
Grotius

I watch all animations, but I generally have the delay set to 0.5 or 1.0 to speed up lengthy engagements. I find I can catch the numbers at the end of ground combat even with delay set to 1.0 or maybe 0.5, and at those speeds it's not as mind-numbing as it is at 4.0 or more.

What about auto sub ops? Do people start with that on at game start? I haven't been, but maybe I should.

(in reply to BraveHome)
Post #: 16
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/24/2005 12:40:57 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I run all animations. The game would not be the same. If i want to shoot thru something i hit escape. I really don't have a problem with it. For me the combat reports are not enough. If they were ever to do away with the animations in a future patch, i wouldn't download it.

We can set the time it runs or just hit escape so what's the problem. So i see none for the time it takes. Its in our hands.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/24/2005 1:43:01 AM   
Hornblower

My finger is constantly on the esc key.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 18
RE: What Are your Game Prefs? - 2/24/2005 5:45:31 AM   
BraveHome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I watch all animations, but I generally have the delay set to 0.5 or 1.0 to speed up lengthy engagements. I find I can catch the numbers at the end of ground combat even with delay set to 1.0 or maybe 0.5, and at those speeds it's not as mind-numbing as it is at 4.0 or more.

What about auto sub ops? Do people start with that on at game start? I haven't been, but maybe I should.

Many have asked for the Adjusted Assault Factors at the end of Ground Combat Animations to be included in the Combat Summary reports.

Besides, it's not mind-numbing if you're catching up on Forum reading while they're running! Course helps to have a companion PC nearby to do so....

I try to minimize any assistance from the AI. As Ron has pointed out in another thread, sometimes 'friendly' AI can hurt you worse than a human opponent! Besides, it's fun to do the submarine dance as the Japanese against the superior Allied ASW -- keeps ya on your toes!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> What Are your Game Prefs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI