Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: February Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: February Update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: February Update - 2/24/2005 8:39:27 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluestew0

quote:

ORIGINAL: ardilla

But if you think this is not positive I respect you opinion.
Regards

Ardilla, you are a naturally positive person aren't you? :) I say that meaning it is a good thing as my line of work tends to make one cynical. The world needs more positive thinking individuals...keep it up.

BTW, how is the new government over there in spain?

Thanks, I am glad someone is not using this forum to criticizing.
We need to take good points of this.

I may be more patien than most of the people in this forum because I am a betatester and I can tell you the game is working, not only fancy screenshots, seriously.

And about those people that think the game will be never released, I can say that are totally wrong, as Marshall said, they are almost there, I can not say anything more.

Regards.

P.S.: Well, I am not really happy with the new goverment, I dont sare some opinions, but it is the one we have and we have to deal with it for 4 years...

Santiago y cierra España!!!

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 61
RE: February Update - 2/25/2005 3:03:49 AM   
NeverMan

ardilla, I thought the other betatester just said that Marshall still has quite a bit of programming to do, so it's obvious that it's not nearly finished.

First off, I don't think anyone is criticizing Marshall (unless he planned this whole thing himself). I don't blame the programmer, I always blame management.

It IS just a game. This is true. This IS a game forum. So I am going to talk about THE GAME. Doesn't that make sense?

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 62
RE: February Update - 2/25/2005 4:30:46 AM   
mattcooper5

rhodopsine's post on the state of the game was very encouraging. Its nice to get a viewpoint and some info from someone in the development process. I am reassured that this game will be very EiA-like. I'm gonna make a point to reread his post whenever the heckles from the crowd get too loud.

i'm very glad that EiA veterans are serving as betatesters. And they really respect the work Marshall is doing. This is a good sign for Matrix and for EiA.

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 63
RE: February Update - 2/25/2005 12:42:51 PM   
CICERON

Just a silly question: Is it still possible to release the game on springs 2005 or there is too much issues?

(in reply to mattcooper5)
Post #: 64
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 4:31:32 AM   
Titi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhodopsine

I had promissed I wouldn't add more to the debate, but I think that some things have to be straightened up.

You have to understand that there are things that we (betatesters) can say or show and some we can't and that, for various reasons. It can be because the current screens are temporary, or because some features are not yet enabled or because there is a bug...

Fine, but currently nobody say anything, so it's easy to think that nothing is currently enabled or the game is full of bug.

quote:

You want AAR? Fine... I can show you some. I'll show France (or any other country...) crushing it's neighbours utterly because the AI currently is still baby level. The PBEM is suspended because of various bugs and because of the TMR issue, Marshall has quite a bit of programming to do. We're waiting for the new version.

Well, sure that changing the basic rules during developpement don't help the programation of the AI. But this is just poor planning and i won't refrain for telling this.
I'm just hoping that others rules won't change anymore but the way it's going, i'm very pessimistic.
Personally i just won't put the hard work on the AI yet.

quote:

And there's a bit more... Some of us are actually quite hesitant to post anything here. We do not want to start controversy, or endless debates about how come someone's favorite rule is not included and so on...

It's a little childish.
If you don't communicate anything don't be surprise that people are upset. Don't turn back the logic to made it favorable to your. And if you just want to stay silent, close this forum, it has no more reason to exist.
Debate and controverse is only bad if you come with a close mind, something Marshall hasn't show until now. I don't see anything bad if there is some coming on this forum.

quote:

Sure TMR was quite an oversight... But do you really know how much of an impact not using it has on the game? I played many live games, I always played it using the TMR... I had never really thought about the real impact of it before I actually played without it. And the issue of TMR had been flagged on the development forum even before it all started on the public forum.

My first game ended after an evening that only saw the struggle between 18 french corps against 24 allied ones that fight again and again. We used TMR, but not maximum depot supply or lose repartition between corps. It take us five game years and 6 month of real live to come there.
So sure having experienced playtester help, but why only stop on this experience. There is also some that isn't among betatester.

quote:

Give Marshall a break... Ever since we started testing that thing (around the beginning of december) we have been harrassing him with bugs reports and change and implementation requests. I have a bit of experience programming and I can say that I've rarely seen someone fix things as fast as Marshall is. In about 2 months, he provided us with no less than 7 updates. And please don't start yelling about oh it's full of bugs... It's still beta but there are much less issues left than when we started.

As for the general feel of the game, I can say that in my opinion, it's as close as possible as what is EIA. Sure there are things that will be slightly different, because the general game mechanics requires quite a bit of interaction between players during various phases and some of it cannot be implemented on a computer without generating literrally hundreds of emails or communication. We're just making sure that those modifications will not impact significally the game flow...

All of the EIA betatesters are EIA passionarias. I don't think that any of us would accept any kind half-breed game that would not quite be EIA. Have a little faith!

Martin Paradis

I had faith two years ago, now it had vanished. It's not a complain just a fact. It's not in Marshall that i lost faith, it's in this project. Having a bunch of experienced EiA old grognards in it don't add much when they speak without any fact. For me your job is to tell us more about the game, not just asking more patience or faith.

Vous êtes maintenant les meilleurs vendeurs du jeu, alors allex-y!

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 65
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 5:11:27 PM   
rhodopsine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titi

For me your job is to tell us more about the game, not just asking more patience or faith.

Sorry... Our job is to hunt bugs and problem in order to get a good product out. No more, no less.

Martin Paradis

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 66
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 6:36:21 PM   
Bluestew0

quote:

For me your job is to tell us more about the game, not just asking more patience or faith.

Then you are horribly mistaken there sir. The NDA (non-disclosure agreements) the betas sign, strictly prohibit them from releasing information about the game design or code, other than in the most general terms. This is the second comment I've seen in this thread bashing the betas for not providing information, so I felt obligated to defend them.

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 67
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 7:32:42 PM   
denisonh

Thanks and good hunting!

quote:

quote:

Sorry... Our job is to hunt bugs and problem in order to get a good product out. No more, no less.

Martin Paradis

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 68
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 8:50:01 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

Martin Paradis

Well, seeing as how TMR JUST BECAME an issue, I have to question the methods in which Matrix went about choosing these "Beta Playtesters". It's obvious that not many of them have experience with EiA. I am sure Marshall and the Playtesters are doing their best, I just wish that another company had picked up EiA before Matrix got their hands on it and ruined it. I guess I can still be happy that at least someone is attempting it, without Matrix I am not sure there would ever be a CEiA.

(in reply to rhodopsine)
Post #: 69
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 9:12:39 PM   
Hanal

How is it possible for anyone to claim that the game is "ruined" when it has not been released yet?......and I do not want you EiA boardgame fanboys to whine that the game is "ruined" because " I read this" or "I saw that"....I find the presumption completely absurd as you need to wait until you get the game in your hands, no matter how long it takes, before passing such judgments!......

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 2/26/2005 2:22:08 PM >

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 70
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 9:53:42 PM   
Titi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluestew0

Then you are horribly mistaken there sir. The NDA (non-disclosure agreements) the betas sign, strictly prohibit them from releasing information about the game design or code, other than in the most general terms. This is the second comment I've seen in this thread bashing the betas for not providing information, so I felt obligated to defend them.

Obviously you find in the NDA what you want to.
Just give a look at the GGWAW forum and you will see that every scope of the game has been discuted by the betatesters.

Second, everyone having played the board game know what is in the game, or theorically must be.

I'm not wishing you to tell me how the codes works, just what the game will content. BTW as i'm already knowing this, how the game will differt from what i'm expecting.

Not asking the moon here

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 71
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 11:09:23 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

ardilla, I thought the other betatester just said that Marshall still has quite a bit of programming to do, so it's obvious that it's not nearly finished.

As Bluestew0 said, we can not comment much about the game since we signed a paper and our job is to find bugs.
But we, the betatesters, are playing I can tell you the game is working.

Of course there is some programming to do with the TMR issue and bugs.

Regards.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 72
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 11:31:00 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
Well, seeing as how TMR JUST BECAME an issue, I have to question the methods in which Matrix went about choosing these "Beta Playtesters". It's obvious that not many of them have experience with EiA. I am sure Marshall and the Playtesters are doing their best, I just wish that another company had picked up EiA before Matrix got their hands on it and ruined it. I guess I can still be happy that at least someone is attempting it, without Matrix I am not sure there would ever be a CEiA.

Well considered something a ruin is quite extremly consider that you didnt see it!??!
Dont you think so?
Most of the betatesters are experienced players and there are many rules in the game and many things to try.

Well, I just hope that everybody is happy when the game will be released and forget about all this posts.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 73
RE: February Update - 2/26/2005 11:37:23 PM   
ardilla

quote:

Obviously you find in the NDA what you want to.
Just give a look at the GGWAW forum and you will see that every scope of the game has been discuted by the betatesters.

Second, everyone having played the board game know what is in the game, or theorically must be.

I'm not wishing you to tell me how the codes works, just what the game will content. BTW as i'm already knowing this, how the game will differt from what i'm expecting.

Not asking the moon here

Well, it is actually what it says, not what we want, it is clear. What they do others it is not my business, here it works this way and we have to respect MG, we need to help them, not to acomplish you, but we try to do both things and is quite difficult, belive me!!!

Yes, everybody had played, but there are some adding from EiH and some optionals and some not.

Well, I can not answer your last question...you see how difficult is to be in between

Regards

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 74
RE: February Update - 3/3/2005 12:17:00 AM   
yammahoper

Thanks for the pic! Wow, we played that game to death. It was great fun seeing the entire set up like that. Thanks again.

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 75
RE: February Update - 3/3/2005 12:44:56 AM   
yammahoper

Be forewarned; the next generation Xbox will be a console/PC combination. The market moves, gears grumble, and soon kiddies everywhere will be screaming for the combo (at least so Microsoft hopes!).

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to Bluestew0)
Post #: 76
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: February Update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI