Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some German units to add

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some German units to add Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some German units to add - 6/21/2000 10:30:00 AM   
Drake666

Me232 'Gigant' two versions a glider and a transport plane. Could carry 130 armed men or a 88 with is towing machine 251/5 Assault Engineer Vehicle 251/6 Command Vehicle 251/7 Engineer Equipment Carrier 251/15 Artillery Spotting Vehicle 251/20 Infra-red Searhlight vehicle Just a wish list.

Post #: 1
- 6/21/2000 10:38:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Make sure the old Warhorse, Mike Amos sees your list. He loves lists like these. He has some new funnies that I think you will see in version 2.0 He is the man that can do them, if we can squeeze them in. The German slots are pretty full right now WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 2
- 6/21/2000 8:06:00 PM   
Warhorse

Aaahhh, more ideas!! The 251/20 UHU is there already, in icon form, it got booted out of the oob for some forts. The others I can look into, we will most likely either have to make a double German cut off at Jan. 1943, so the camo starts there, and this way we can have all the vehicles for the Germans. The only problem there, is the pain of switching oob's, which I hate to do!! The other way is to put the excess in the Philippines, or something, for scenario design only. I made 'Beckers Funnies', Dicker Max heavy tank dest.,Diana, and others, but can't fit them in the oob. Thanks for the input though;-) ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 3
- 6/22/2000 2:08:00 AM   
Drake666

How about creating a special weapons list in the Philippines oob for extra units of the major powers for scenario design. Its not like the Philippine nation is used much in WW2 anyway, it was all US forces their. I could come up with a lot of units to add to the Germans alone in a special oob file for scenario design. Like I would like to see aircraft added to the on board stuff so I could place them at a airfield and you would be forced to defind that airport so they dont get destroyed. More things I would like to see 250/6 Ammunition carrier 252 Armoured ammunition carrier 253 Armoured mobile observation post 22-ton tank transport trailer for moveing tanks. Dommy tanks for making opponant think you or the computer has more tanks then is really on the board. Smoke Vehicle (Sd. Kfz. 11/1) 10 cm Wgr. 35 Nb. - 10 cm Smoke Mortar 20 cm Spigot Mortar used by engineers 38 cm Spigot Mortar used by engineers Long-Burning Smoke Generator. This long burning smoke generator is a green. It contains approximately 36 pounds of smoke mixture. Weight varies from 35 to 49 pounds. The generator burns for 15 to 30 minutes. The smoke screen covers 200 yards wide and 500 long under favorable conditions. Storch for if you wanted to add air recon to a scenario [This message has been edited by Drake666 (edited 06-21-2000).]

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 4
- 6/22/2000 2:33:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The problem with adding extra units in other country's OOBs is that they get the characteristics of that country. You can use Fred's editor to fix that that, but just a caution...

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 5
- 6/22/2000 3:05:00 AM   
Drake666

Paul what I mean is get read of Philippines oob and have that oob just for special scenario units. Thats what I would like to see.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 6
- 6/22/2000 3:20:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Rather than take half measures we are looking into expanding the size of the OOB's. I just don't know if that is something we can do for Ver 3 or if it will have to wait until the Modern version and be back fit. We understand the concerns... To me a more pressing problem than reflecting all various "book TO&E" variatins is dealing with the reality that almost NOBODY ever went into combat with a book TO&E unit. A way to have the game impose casualties on a unit so all the squads aren't full strength, like the ammo reductions is actually "more realistic" (sic). There is a need to expand the OOB's though...

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 7
- 6/22/2000 3:21:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: ...Long-Burning Smoke Generator. ...Storch for if you wanted to add air recon to a scenario [This message has been edited by Drake666 (edited 06-21-2000).]
Amen! Deliberate assaults& minefield breaching & particularly river crossing doctrine calls for much smoke. IRL generators were used and we need them. I miss my storch!!! OK, it can radically unbalance play to see everything that is out there but this demonstrates the worth of good recon. Anyways, you don't have to use them just like you don't have to have a batallion of elephants in your GE core (but they are in the OOB). ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 8
- 6/22/2000 3:33:00 AM   
Moonwolf

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: Paul what I mean is get read of Philippines oob and have that oob just for special scenario units. Thats what I would like to see.
Well, dude, I for one am very glad the Phillipines are included. Gracias, Paul and Company. After all, this is about the World War, and not a German War glorification game. At least I don't think so. I could be wrong . . . I've been known to be wrong . . . I think . . . ------------------ | Moonwolf | ----------------

Ed Mortimer Meglio un Giorno da Leone

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 9
- 6/22/2000 3:46:00 AM   
Seth

Hear! Hear! I would much rather wait to have my exotic Germans than sacrifice entire small nations to feed the demand for space caused by one-off's and extraneous miscellania, no matter what nation it's from. I have a list of units I'd like to see, but I don't want to bump anything.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 10
- 6/22/2000 3:47:00 AM   
Drake666

Their is no German war glorification, its just common since. How many battles did the Phillipines fight, one or two. I have not read about them in even one battle. The Germans and the other major power were on the other hand in a 1000+ battles.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 11
- 6/22/2000 3:55:00 AM   
Moonwolf

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: Their is no German war glorification, its just common since. How many battles did the Phillipines fight, one or two. I have not read about them in even one battle. The Germans and the other major power were on the other hand in a 1000+ battles.
Los muchos millares de soldados de Phillipino que lucharon y murieron por los aliados discreparían probablemente con su gravamen. Realizo que los alemanes son importantes para usted, y no es el Phillipines. Pero realice por favor que cuál es poco importante a usted puede ser importante para algún otro. ------------------ | Moonwolf | ----------------

Ed Mortimer Meglio un Giorno da Leone

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 12
- 6/22/2000 7:15:00 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: How about creating a special weapons list in the Philippines oob for extra units of the major powers for scenario design. Its not like the Philippine nation is used much in WW2 anyway, it was all US forces their. I could come up with a lot of units to add to the Germans alone in a special oob file for scenario design. Like I would like to see aircraft added to the on board stuff so I could place them at a airfield and you would be forced to defind that airport so they dont get destroyed. More things I would like to see 250/6 Ammunition carrier 252 Armoured ammunition carrier 253 Armoured mobile observation post 22-ton tank transport trailer for moveing tanks. Dommy tanks for making opponant think you or the computer has more tanks then is really on the board. Smoke Vehicle (Sd. Kfz. 11/1) 10 cm Wgr. 35 Nb. - 10 cm Smoke Mortar 20 cm Spigot Mortar used by engineers 38 cm Spigot Mortar used by engineers Long-Burning Smoke Generator. This long burning smoke generator is a green. It contains approximately 36 pounds of smoke mixture. Weight varies from 35 to 49 pounds. The generator burns for 15 to 30 minutes. The smoke screen covers 200 yards wide and 500 long under favorable conditions. Storch for if you wanted to add air recon to a scenario [This message has been edited by Drake666 (edited 06-21-2000).]
For now that's exactly where they will be found!! The 252 is there, the UHU, 253 is already in the oob. Working... ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 13
- 6/23/2000 3:21:00 AM   
Drake666

A few more to add to my wish list. Some of the big arty 61.5 cm Karl Mrs railway gun. "Dora" railway gun. Bigest railgun the Germans had. Eould be nice to see but with the game scale you could only fire the gun once.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 14
- 6/23/2000 3:56:00 AM   
Charles22

I think it's silly to have the Gustav (AKA Dora) in the game, for it's more of a strategic weapon. As for it only being able to fire once, that is quite incorrect, as it could be fired every 15 minutes.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 15
- 6/23/2000 9:11:00 AM   
Drake666

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I think it's silly to have the Gustav (AKA Dora) in the game, for it's more of a strategic weapon. As for it only being able to fire once, that is quite incorrect, as it could be fired every 15 minutes.
You could say the same for a number of units in the game right now. Some people like me would just like to have the large guns in the game and other units that would not be used much at this scale.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 16
- 6/23/2000 9:33:00 AM   
defenseman

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: Me232 'Gigant' two versions a glider and a transport plane. Could carry 130 armed men or a 88 with is towing machine Just a wish list.
Drake, did any of these things really work? The few times I have seen the "Gigant", it was powered and it was getting shot up pretty bad by allied planes. Did not know about a glider version, but I would imagine it would have provided the Allies with a similar target resolution. Do you have a link where I could read up on the Gigant and possibly educate myself? Thanks, ------------------ Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

Sincerely, The Defenseman "Offense wins battles, but defense wins wars"

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 17
- 6/23/2000 9:53:00 AM   
Drake666

Sorry dont now any link on the web to get info on the Me232 'Gigant'. I got my information from Panzer A revolution in warfare, 1939-1945 by Roger Edwards. The Gigant was used in north africa and the USSR to carry troops and equipment close to the front and to get 130 troops evacuated on the return flights. Your right about them being vulnerable to enemy air or ground attack. The Gigant was not used to the extent of the Ju 52, but with a aircraft of this size a few could carry stuff that the Ju 52 could not.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 18
- 6/23/2000 1:42:00 PM   
Supervisor

That would take up 3 hexes. What a monster.
quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: A few more to add to my wish list. Some of the big arty 61.5 cm Karl Mrs railway gun. "Dora" railway gun. Bigest railgun the Germans had. Eould be nice to see but with the game scale you could only fire the gun once.
------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 19
- 6/23/2000 1:45:00 PM   
Supervisor

Even with the new larger maps, the DORA would still be off map. The effect of Dora can be simulated if you are doing a Warsaw or Sevastopol scenario by using 15" off board battleship.
quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I think it's silly to have the Gustav (AKA Dora) in the game, for it's more of a strategic weapon. As for it only being able to fire once, that is quite incorrect, as it could be fired every 15 minutes.
------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 20
- 6/23/2000 2:39:00 PM   
victorhauser

What is going on here? Are we refighting WW2 over the OOBs? Are the smaller OOBs being swallowed up by the Germans in their OOB quest for lebensraum? Are the smaller OOBs having their OOB genetic structure altered by the introduction of German OOB "DNA"? And if this isn't a flagrant case of Germanic glorification, then why aren't these issues being discussed in Paul Vebber's topic "Make OOB Comments Here"? This is getting ridiculous. With the new version 2.0, the possibility of having 600 units in the game makes most of these Germanic OOB "requests" extremely problematic. I mean, now it will be possible to buy dozens of units of the same type. But if there were only a handful of a certain weapon produced (for instance, the Sturmtiger) the game can now be corrupted since a player can have dozens of them in his game. This makes no sense. And corrupting other nations' OOBs to make available these obscure and limited variants of German war production makes even less sense. I advocate forcing players who wish to include these deviants from German mainstream war production alter their own OOBs to do this, rather than forcing their wishes upon the rest of us who don't. Please keep the structure of the existing OOBs free from alteration by outside nationalities.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 21
- 6/23/2000 5:56:00 PM   
Kev

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: What is going on here? Are we refighting WW2 over the OOBs? Are the smaller OOBs being swallowed up by the Germans in their OOB quest for lebensraum? .
Sorry, but the correct term would be "OOBensraum". I couldn't help myself.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 22
- 6/23/2000 9:51:00 PM   
Charles22

I sort of agree with Victor, however, many people tremendously enjoy playing as Gerry, so I would assume that's where that's coming from. Myself, I don't want so many variants for one nation, that you can get every nut and bolt, tremendous advantage that such an army didn't have. It's something of the consequence of the game not having a strategic element, where storing up tremendous amounts of expensive units would hurt you. Victor: If I recall, you're the Elefant man, right? You seem to gripe about people wanting to get rare units to abuse the system, and yet you talk about having nothing but Elefants. Seems you're a little guilty of your own condemnation, yes? I know you're adjusting your support (no mines etc) to somewhat make up for that, but who says these rare unit advocates aren't doing the same thing? In some games I've played, the Elefant was only available in late 43, so that if it got destroyed past that time, it would need to switch to something else. Your 'no mines' philosophy might adequately (I doubt it) make up for overstocking with a unit which was fairly rare, but it doesn't balance your offensives at all. The offensives are the most fun and difficult part of the game. Try doing offensives with more ordinary units and find out how fun it is. I recall someone once advocating playing only defensive missions by some sort of alteration technique. I pity that person, because though defensives can be fun, they definitely aren't the mettle tester that offensives can be (unless visibility is real poor). I definitely agree that the Gustav doesn't belong in this game. We run into a problem here, which as I said before, would probably be rectified if there was a strategic system in place. There's the angle that you might want things relatively historic across the board, and then there's the thought that we might want every last bit of equipment, so that we can tell ourselves that this is how we would have managed the war econmoy of that nation's forces, and see what happens. The danger I see in rare units being included, particularly the Gustav category, is that the AI might pick a slew of such ridiculous units. Can you inagine? Let's say the Gustav costs 2,000 points. Let's say you force over time gets large enough that when he assaults you, he can buy like six of these. What would the game be like? The AI would have no defense so to speak of, accept 6 guns which would swallow up the earth every 15 minutes. BTW, Brent mentioned 15" shells. No way 15" shells compare to the Gustav, no way. The Allies didn't go on frantic air searches for the Gustav because it was just another 15" gun. [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited 06-23-2000).]

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 23
- 6/23/2000 9:54:00 PM   
Drake666

What is going on here? What is going on is some common since seggestions. Are we refighting WW2 over the OOBs? You are for some reason, we are just trying to add to the game so it will be more fun for us. Are the smaller OOBs being swallowed up by the Germans in their OOB quest for lebensraum? Just becouse we are interested in WW2 history and battles dont make us nazis or anything like that. If you dont like this kind of stuff, go play some other game and live people like me who is just trying to injoy the game alone. Are the smaller OOBs having their OOB genetic structure altered by the introduction of German OOB "DNA"? I dont see anything rong with this, a lot of the countries in the game right now did close to no fighting during WW2 and just becouse we want this dont make us out to be nazis again. And if this isn't a flagrant case of Germanic glorification, then why aren't these issues being discussed in Paul Vebber's topic "Make OOB Comments Here"? Canada and the US are both free countries and this is a massage board that gives us the free right to post were we dame will wont to. This is getting ridiculous. With the new version 2.0, the possibility of having 600 units in the game makes most of these Germanic OOB "requests" extremely problematic. I mean, now it will be possible to buy dozens of units of the same type. But if there were only a handful of a certain weapon produced (for instance, the Sturmtiger) the game can now be corrupted since a player can have dozens of them in his game. This makes no sense. And corrupting other nations' OOBs to make available these obscure and limited variants of German war production makes even less sense. These obscure and limited variants of German war production as you call them makes about as much since as haveing countries in the game that did no real fighting and a lot of them obscure and limited variands saw more action then a lot of the units of the other small nations. I advocate forcing players who wish to include these deviants from German mainstream war production alter their own OOBs to do this, rather than forcing their wishes upon the rest of us who don't. Now who made you the king to say what should and should not be done. For some reason you want to limit what we would like to see done to the game and what we would like to see. I think Wild bill and and others are trying to find a middle ground, so stop trying to but down what we would like to see for the injoyment of the game.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 24
- 6/23/2000 10:21:00 PM   
Larry Holt

One of the really nice things about the Matrix Games boards is the nice way that people have nicely commented on the game and each others posts so far. (HINT, HINT, if I may be so bold as to suggest this). Personally, I'd like to see the rare and experimental equipment listed in the OOBs but not at the expense of losing basic units for other combatants. I like the game as a fun pastime but also as a tool to study tactics, history, etc. The specials, Allied "funnies", etc. may not have been produced in great numbers and may not have worked well but they were designed to meet a need. I'd like to play out the situation with them and see how well the need was or was not met. Some comments have been made concerning the Germanic focus of OOB expansion. The Germans were the tactical inovators of WWII and had more special equipment than the others. Now I realize that the Western Allies also produced a number of special tanks (sometimes refered to as funnies). but I don't think they had the all around number of varients that the Germans did. I could be wrong & if I am then by all means suggest additonal Allied units (but in a nice way please). ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 25
- 6/23/2000 10:30:00 PM   
victorhauser

Charles, I made the "Elephant" comment as an example. I've never actually done that in any of my campaigns because I think the Elephant is an inferior weapon. But I have composed core battlegroups with Tigers and Panthers (my usual ratio is about 40% AFV, 40% "leg", and 20% artillery). Alas, Drake. (Sigh.) Yes, this is a free continent precisely because we (along with the help of most of the planet) defeated Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan and Fascist Italy. So yes, unless "moderated" by one of the Matrix Staff, you can say pretty much what you want and so can I in these forums. However, if you will re-read carefully what I wrote, I think you will discover that: 1) I oppose using other nations' OOBs as surrogate placeholders for trivial and minor German war equipments; 2) I believe that including such German equipments will quite possibly have a detrimental effect on the way units are purchased and employed in the game; 3) I encourage players to make whatever OOB changes they desire through the use of their own editors; and 4) I don't want to see SPWAW become dominated by ANY ethnocentric viewpoint. When I use the word "advocate", that is not synonymous with self-coronation.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 26
- 6/23/2000 10:34:00 PM   
victorhauser

Postscript... Charles, I just noticed that you are correct. I've posted the word "Elephant" several times now in several different topics. My mistake. Elefant is the correct German name.

VAH

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 27
- 6/23/2000 10:36:00 PM   
Charles22

Victor: Yeah, that gets me sometimes too. If you just remember it has a funky spelling, that ought to help.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 28
- 6/23/2000 10:49:00 PM   
xopher

quote:

Originally posted by victorhauser: This is getting ridiculous. With the new version 2.0, the possibility of having 600 units in the game makes most of these Germanic OOB "requests" extremely problematic. I mean, now it will be possible to buy dozens of units of the same type. But if there were only a handful of a certain weapon produced (for instance, the Sturmtiger) the game can now be corrupted since a player can have dozens of them in his game. This makes no sense. And corrupting other nations' OOBs to make available these obscure and limited variants of German war production makes even less sense.
I think it is sometimes fun to play 'what if' with the rare vehicles. What if the Russians had folded, or the European Invasion had failed, and Germany (or the US for that matter) had had time to develop and produce some of these in large numbers - how effective would they have been (in simulation anyways)? At the least, it is entertaining.

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 29
- 6/23/2000 11:03:00 PM   
Charles22

I think this thread has pointed out that we need to convert the world onto being WWII maniacs like many of us here. Why? Because then there would be enough interest in the computer industry where we could make not only what I see as the historic attempt at battle in SPWAW, but also a more hypothetical game elsewhere (all of course with strategic overtones included).

(in reply to Drake666)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Some German units to add Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI