Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

March Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> March Update! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
March Update! - 2/27/2005 1:22:38 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

The March update is here! I'm EARLY! Can you believe it?

I hope that this update answers a few questions...

We're back into development mode where we circled back to a few issues that our testers found that were ... needless-to-say ... important to the game BUT not in the game. I am to blame for these misses, oversights, deviations, etc. The testers have spoken in our private development forum and discussed much of what is different in the game and made recommendations that we add in some missing elements. TMR (Tactical Maximum Rating) is the main example here.

Let me tell you our upcoming schedule...

1. Add in missing elements such as TMR.
2. Finish PBEM testing.
3. Tune the AI
4. Release Version 1.00

The answer to the big question (When?) is that I cannot tell you! Step 1 is tedious and time consuming since there are several aspects of the game that must be cross-tested after our development work BUT we've got the crew for it!

I wish to come to the defense of our testers. They caught some flack on our previous Feb update forum and, in my opinion, this was misdirected! These guys are seasoned veterans of the game and illuminated several good issues for me to fix! I've learned much from them and am thankful!

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: March Update! - 2/27/2005 1:40:56 AM   
Windfire

Looking forward to the final product.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: March Update! - 2/27/2005 3:39:32 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

The answer to the big question (When?) is that I cannot tell you!

Just take your time Marshall and wait for a "great" release instead of a Paradox release or even worse a Rome Totalcrap War release that is still messed up after two patches and they aren't going to fix it.

I put my faith in Matrix to release quality over greed.

Post #: 3
RE: March Update! - 2/27/2005 6:08:07 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

Remember one of the reasons why we announce our games early is to get your input at the start and thoughout the development process. I hope everyone can see from this forum conference alone that we do listen to what you are saying. We then research your comments and make changes that we feel are justified and are able to make. Its stinks as far as time lines but from our track record it does seem to make some great games. I also like to thank Marshall and the beta testers for sticking with it.

David Heath
Matrix Games

< Message edited by David Heath -- 2/27/2005 6:24:23 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: March Update! - 2/27/2005 8:31:37 PM   
jwarrenw13

Thanks for the update and hard work. I continue to follow this game but have not commented. I look forward to its release when it is ready.

Post #: 5
RE: March Update! - 2/27/2005 9:11:23 PM   
denisonh

Ditto.

Thanks for the bones Marshall, and keep the nose to the grindstone!

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

quote:

Just take your time Marshall and wait for a "great" release instead of a Paradox release or even worse a Rome Totalcrap War release that is still messed up after two patches and they aren't going to fix it.

I put my faith in Matrix to release quality over greed.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: March Update! - 2/28/2005 1:30:40 AM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Well can you tell us then minimun number of weeks, month, years before you could possibly release it?

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

Post #: 7
RE: March Update! - 2/28/2005 4:24:24 AM   
ravinhood

Lol Hoche what does it matter? Just be patient, relax and be pleasantly surprised when it is released.

The early bird gets the worm, but, it's not always the best tasting one or the fattest one. ;)

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 8
RE: March Update! - 2/28/2005 6:24:54 AM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Lol Hoche what does it matter? Just be patient, relax and be pleasantly surprised when it is released.

The early bird gets the worm, but, it's not always the best tasting one or the fattest one. ;)

Well if it is about to be released then I won't buy another game. But if it is going to take 6mo to a year then I might buy some other game while I wait.

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: March Update! - 2/28/2005 3:02:28 PM   
Nordiska

Starwars: Revenge of the Sith will be out before this

< Message edited by Nordiska -- 2/28/2005 8:02:50 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: March Update! - 2/28/2005 8:06:51 PM   
David Heath

If so, lets hope both are beyond words.

David

(in reply to Nordiska)
Post #: 11
RE: March Update! - 3/1/2005 11:26:36 AM   
Norden_slith

Thanks for the update. I think you made the right decision in putting "chrome" and "Eia-feel" into it. Makes for a longer wait, sure, but the product will be so much more...timeconsuming after release...

Norden

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 12
RE: March Update! - 3/1/2005 7:14:49 PM   
Titi

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

Remember one of the reasons why we announce our games early is to get your input at the start and thoughout the development process. I hope everyone can see from this forum conference alone that we do listen to what you are saying. We then research your comments and make changes that we feel are justified and are able to make. Its stinks as far as time lines but from our track record it does seem to make some great games. I also like to thank Marshall and the beta testers for sticking with it.

David Heath
Matrix Games

Thanks but from the infos that Marshall and the betatesters are currently releasing, it's completly impossible to make any comment.
So as i want Marshall to make some coding , can you allow the betatesters to speak a little more freely, because currently they prevent from doing that, the NDA being the reason.

Post #: 13
RE: March Update! - 3/2/2005 9:23:07 AM   
John Umber

Yes, I cannot agree more!

If we are to make relevant comments, please let us know more about the game, map, troops etc.

John Umber

(in reply to Titi)
Post #: 14
RE: March Update! - 3/2/2005 9:30:06 AM   
John Umber

Also, let us see some AAR?

They should help us even more.

John Umber

(in reply to John Umber)
Post #: 15
RE: March Update! - 3/2/2005 6:26:23 PM   
Madcombinepilot

well, just to keep my appetite whetted,

any screenshots?

(in reply to John Umber)
Post #: 16
RE: March Update! - 3/2/2005 10:21:49 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madcombinepilot

well, just to keep my appetite whetted,

any screenshots?

Not possible yet, Marshall is doing some important coding and fixing some bugs.

Santiago y cierra España!!!

(in reply to Madcombinepilot)
Post #: 17
AAR - 3/3/2005 10:42:24 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Umber

Also, let us see some AAR?

They should help us even more.

AAR and screenshots coming after next development release... real soon now

/Greyshaft

(in reply to John Umber)
Post #: 18
RE: AAR - 3/3/2005 8:59:17 PM   
Madcombinepilot

quote:

AAR and screenshots coming after next development release... real soon now

Thanks

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 19
RE: AAR - 3/4/2005 9:55:02 AM   
John Umber

I am looking forward for this.
Your last screenshots were very tempting.

Also, there were some minor items that seemed wrong.

Will the "entire" map be presented as well? Just for checking spelling etc...
That is normaly a very boring part but so important for the overall feeling...

Thank you for your fast reply.

John Umber

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 20
RE: AAR - 3/4/2005 8:22:16 PM   
ardilla

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Umber
Will the "entire" map be presented as well? Just for checking spelling etc...
That is normaly a very boring part but so important for the overall feeling...

Thank you for your fast reply.

The map its the same as the original boardgame with a new state, between Russian and Turkey in the north east of syria, Persia. And some new states in north Italy, Modena and Savoy, so it is exactly like the EiH map.

About missspelling, eventhough you may see some in the last screenshots it is all clear and the beta testers we already did our job about that, dont worry Marshall is aware of them.

Regards

< Message edited by ardilla -- 3/7/2005 7:04:22 PM >

Santiago y cierra España!!!

(in reply to John Umber)
Post #: 21
RE: March Update! - 3/6/2005 1:19:39 AM   
Hoche

quote:

David

Will EiA be out before or after Starwars: Revenge of the Sith?

-Edmund Burke

Post #: 22
RE: March Update! - 3/8/2005 2:45:10 AM   
hlj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoche

quote:

David

Will EiA be out before or after Starwars: Revenge of the Sith?

Yes, that is correct! EiA will be out either before or after.

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 23
RE: March Update! - 3/9/2005 5:07:43 PM   
incbob

Lurking Mode Off

I just want to take a moment here to reinforce what some others have said. I have been waiting a long time for this game. I don't post much, but I continually check the Matrix website and this forum for updates.

Take you time and get it right. I can wait. I remember waiting and wanting Hearts of Iron only to find that the game has nothing whatsoever to do with WWII except in name. Hearts of Iron II has come out and I hear it is really good, but I refuse to spend to much on it because I spent so much on Hearts of Iron I.

Take your time. Get it right. That is what makes Matrix games so good.

Post #: 24
RE: March Update! - 3/17/2005 7:08:40 AM   
JamesM

quote:

Hi Guys

David Heath
Matrix Games

Hear Hear!!!

Great comment David!

I have brought too many games in the past that where clearly not ready. The trouble with this is that you become quite annoyed with the game, you play it only a couple of times and never play it again. The now defunct 360 Games was a classic at this, they great games but there playability was marginal as they kept crashing. The only one they got right from this respect was Harpoon 2.

Post #: 25
RE: March Update! - 3/23/2005 8:44:27 PM   
1LTRambo

I could not agree more. A game is not worth playing if it is not a good game (does not play well). So Marshall, Beta testers, and crew of Matrix, keep up the good work and continue to fix the game so that a quality product is released. The faithfull will continue to patiently wait while the nay-sayers will fade away.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 26
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 12:49:25 AM   
Titi

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1LTRambo

I could not agree more. A game is not worth playing if it is not a good game (does not play well). So Marshall, Beta testers, and crew of Matrix, keep up the good work and continue to fix the game so that a quality product is released. The faithfull will continue to patiently wait while the nay-sayers will fade away.

Oh boy, that needed to be said
I was still looking how to become immortal.

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 27
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 4:22:35 AM   
Sonny

quote:

Hi Guys

David Heath
Matrix Games

Folks lose a lot of confidence/interest when you demo games at Origins hinting that they are almost ready for release and 9 months later they (EIA & GGWAW) are still not out the door.

Perhaps you should call for alpha designers/testers sooner rather than later.

I noticed Matrix isn't on the list of participants for Origins this year. Too embarrassed to demo the same game twice in a row?

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

Post #: 28
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 6:59:04 AM   
Pippin

I don't know, didn't that happen with Half-Life 2?

I think MG would be more embarrassed to release another ET or Iron Blitz package. Also there are often regrets when a developer keeps reading in journals “Good game, but if ONLY they had tweaked this, or tweaked that more, it would deserve two more stars.”

PBEM etc is currently being kept under testing so that when the package is released, no one will have to be told to go download a patch because some killer bug is causing a lockup, etc.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 29
RE: March Update! - 3/24/2005 5:01:09 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I don't know, didn't that happen with Half-Life 2?

I think MG would be more embarrassed to release another ET or Iron Blitz package. Also there are often regrets when a developer keeps reading in journals “Good game, but if ONLY they had tweaked this, or tweaked that more, it would deserve two more stars.”

PBEM etc is currently being kept under testing so that when the package is released, no one will have to be told to go download a patch because some killer bug is causing a lockup, etc.

Then they should not have the demo at Origins last year if it is that far away from being released. Thats all I'm trying to get across. I want the game to be perfect out of the box too. But the reality is there will need to be a patch even if they don't release it until June - or July or...

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> March Update! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI