Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not for Me

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Not for Me Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not for Me - 2/27/2005 4:20:37 PM   
themattcurtis

You can recognize a title is a quality game, while still regretting you bought it.

Alexander looks to be a good wargame, but after a dozen attempts to get past the first flipping scenario, I quit.

I'm not dense. I understand what heavy cavalry should be able to do against light infantry -- yet in the sample AAR, Alexander cuts them down like wheat while my charging Alexander, hitting light infantry, losses 400 men before it's over. Moments later his morale has plummeted.

Flanking doesn't seem to work for me, neither does the "counter charge" order. I'm reduced by the time I get to the walls that it's pretty much pointless.

THEIR guys make these heroic stands. Mine fall back.

I try to maintain lines, I try to keep a reserve. Nothing.

I know it's probably I'm just not suited for the game. I see a lot of work went into it, and it's appreciated by a lot of folks. But for me, I just guess I wish there was a tutorial, or something. It feels like "sink or swim" and I keep sinking. And I'm just not the kind of guy who can play a mission 20 times and not get frustrated.

Sorry to rant. Just wanted to get into this. I really did.

Maybe a neat feature for the next game would be a couple of tutorials. Help us who ain't up to snuff get into it before starting in earnest.

Sorry to be a downer.
Post #: 1
RE: Not for Me - 2/27/2005 5:21:43 PM   
ravinhood

No one said "war" would be easy. ;) I get stomped on X-Com all the time, but, I continue onward and learn something from just about every battle. I would be disappointed if the game were too easy.

(in reply to themattcurtis)
Post #: 2
RE: Not for Me - 2/28/2005 6:09:45 PM   
DIEMAN

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, themattcurtis... from reading your post, I feel I might be able to offer one or two tips to help you get over the hump at Thebes:

Firstly, it is IMPERATIVE that your cavalry avoid charging at spear-wielding infantry, even when attacking from the rear. Use an "attack" order rather than a "charge" order and you will trample those Theban spearmen into the dirt.

The "battle advisor" tips can be of great help in deciding whether to charge, attack, or simply defend. Generally speaking, if I have the advantage (+1/-1, for example), I will go ahead and attack, but if the selected unit is low on morale or training I may find myself at a disadvantage to attack (-2/0, for example), in which case I will either (depending on initiative) move, retreat, or stand and defend. Sometimes using a move order to dart past the enemy lines is more effective than any attack.

Last, but not least, the wall-archers at Thebes are very, very dangerous and should be treated as an extremely serious threat. After mopping up the enemy cavalry and light infantry in the south, I usually spend a turn or two gathering my forces together near the center of the map before advancing to the wall. If one or two units become isolated, they will be easy targets for the archers and will likely not last more than a few turns.

Good luck, and happy battling!

"It adds up... you just don't like what it adds up to."

Post #: 3
RE: Not for Me - 2/28/2005 6:50:03 PM   
Deride

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with Thebes -- and not having fun.

Here is what I recommend you do for this first battle:
1) Don't worry about any of the units that you can not see. Make sure you spread your army out and take them on directly. You should be able to defeat them all without sustaining any major losses.
2) Once you have defeated those units, make sure that you reform your lines and move up slowly to take on the next wave that is defending the wall. Push hard against them, and move your way to the flag. Remember, you win this victory by breaking them to the wall -- not by killing all of his men.
3) If the archers are pounding you and you can not break through, retreat back some -- let them come to you.

Thebes is an interesting battle in that it was designed to be an "anti-bullrush" scenario -- if you go straight for a victory, you will lose. This is intentional so that players learn that Alexander was always outmatched in terms of numbers, but by superior strategy he always won the day. You need to think like Alexander...

Good luck.. hope you give it another shot!
Deride

Post #: 4
RE: Not for Me - 3/1/2005 4:08:47 PM   
wodin

Here is a tip.

If a game has a dedicated following and they seem to really enjoy it, yet you find it impossible to play and give up then your missing something. That something though can be fixed. Through advice and asking questions you will eventually get the game mechanics and then more than likely fall for the game aswell.

Its happened to me before and its something that a particular series I really love suffers from aswell. Most people who first play it find the game mechanics very simple and yet to difficult to get anywhere usually arent playing the game the way its supposed to play, its usally because the game mechanics arent as simple as seems and your missing out on something. They then write the game off wonder how come many people actually like it and they never go back, looking at those who swear by it as odd and maybe not quite normal:) ( just kidding).

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 5
RE: Not for Me - 3/3/2005 11:19:58 PM   
Adam Parker

Wodin I agree with you.

The hardest thing in this title for me to grasp and maybe for many non-Ancient gamers (ancient as in era... not birth age ) is how bloody this style of fighting could be.

That really shocked me and as Deride pointed out, in the first attempts for me at scenario 1, I ran in like a bull and the fickle hand of Koios Works kept coming down out of the sky and taking my armies away! (Those of you not yet owning this game please understand I'm not mad. There is a hand that comes out of the sky).

Finesse and subtley win this game Matt and having owned it for a while now I haven't even gotten half way. Scenario 1 amazingly still draws me in and last night I think I finally discovered "the" way for me to play...

"Pay attention"!

Adam.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great >> Not for Me Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI