Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Computer turning off during WitP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Computer turning off during WitP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer turning off during WitP - 3/4/2005 12:12:05 AM   
Stavka_lite

Ok, here is a strange one. Frequently while I am playing WitP, both entering orders and proicessing the results my computer will just shut down. I then have to wait a few minutes, unplug the power supply and hold the power button down to discharge the capacitors before I can turn it on again. This type of shut down only happens while WitP is open. At first I thought my power supply was going but I don't believe that is the case any more becuase I have not had WitP on for the past three days and my computer has not shut down. I loaded my PBEM turn and half way thru watching the cambat save it shuts down. It is random and I cannot predict when it will happen as there is no pattern and I can run the same turn twice and it will not shut down the second time. I have turned off everything I can that is running in the background and the shutdowns still occur. I have not uninstalled and re-installed but that is about the only thing I haven't tried. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!
Post #: 1
RE: Computer turning off during WitP - 3/11/2005 3:51:32 PM   
Mr.Frag

Sounds like a heat, power supply or overclocking problem. Nothing to do with the game apart from the game keeping your system running at 100% load.

Go download 3DMark and it will probably do exactly the same.

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 2
RE: Computer turning off during WitP - 3/12/2005 8:02:47 AM   
chief

Stavka.....not trying to be funny, but whens the last time you cleaned out the cobwebs in your comp ? You can also check for a heat related problem by operating your comp with the cover off.
Good Luck.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Computer turning off during WitP - 3/12/2005 2:18:32 PM   
RBWhite

Could you break down your machine: Processor, motherboard, memory size, chipset, etc. Maybe even the RPMs of your cooling fan. (You just may need an oversized new cooling fan.)

Also, like Chief said clean out all the dust bunnies and blow out the dust & dirt inside the power source. This could cause resistance, an reduced voltages, that would cause heat.

Most Matrix games all seam to use enormous amounts of system resources so it wouldn't take much at that point to over heat your processor or motherboard.

Rick White

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 4
RE: Computer turning off during WitP - 3/12/2005 7:23:26 PM   
chief

Has RB White says and shut down anything running in the background to reduce load on your comp. All the above should help.

< Message edited by chief -- 3/12/2005 12:21:37 PM >

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Computer turning off during WitP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI