Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A New Look at some old Stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A New Look at some old Stuff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A New Look at some old Stuff - 3/5/2005 1:07:36 AM   
Wild Bill

With the many new faces appearing here at the forum, I think that the republshing of certain tips, hints and ideas about SPWAW would be a nice addition. With that in mind, I'm thinking of doing just that.

I've collected dozens and dozens of them over the years. The vets are around might not find anything new, (but who knows) but I think the newer arrivals might reap some benefit from it.

Thoughts?

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
RE: A New Look at some old Stuff - 3/5/2005 1:16:48 AM   
KG Erwin

Bill, perhaps an excerpt from one of the in-game tutorials could serve as an introduction to the type of play a newbie can expect. Not everyone is aware that the game manual is available in pdf format with the download, but a "Here's What You Can Expect" is a thought.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
RE: A New Look at some old Stuff - 3/5/2005 1:29:12 AM   
Wild Bill

Good suggestion, Glenn.

Here is a republication of an article I wrote back in the day when the "Wild Bill's Raiders" were going full force. I've found that these principles apply not only to SPWAW, but to scenario design in any game.

I would recommend that those thinking of scenario design read this over for some basic principles

-------------------------------------------------------------

HOW THE RAIDERS DID IT
(The Scenario Design Process at WBR)
By Wild Bill Wilder

Scenario design is only one of the things that went on at the Raider HQ. Providing good reading material on historical matters, advice on doing your own scenarios and answering gaming questions were all part of our routine.

I’m republishing it in the hopes it will help those beginning the wonderful experience of scenario design!

=====================================

A number of you have asked about scenario design. What goes into it? How much time does it take? How easy is it? Can anyone do it?

Here is a brief rundown of the procedure followed by the Raiders in attempting to bring you some of the finest scenarios you can find anywhere. Let me clearly state that we don’t consider ourselves infallible or the last word in scenario creation. Our productions, however, have been well received by the gaming public and most SP enthusiasts. This leads us to believe that we are at least headed in the right direction.

So in building that battle that you can enjoy in some version of Steel Panthers, here are the steps we followed.

The First Step: Research – Mining for Gold
Average time – 6 to 10 hours

The basis for our scenarios was historical research. First, I or one of the Raiders chose a theme or a particular battle. Occasionally we get got suggestions from some of you. Then many historical works are consulted on that particular subject. This is done prior to any work on the computer.

After the information has been gathered, compared, and collated, it is typed up into as accurate a background as possible. This includes the forces involved, the why and where of the battle, and the outcome.

Whenever possible, personal incidents and anecdotes are included to spice up the content and emphasize the humans involved in the fighting. In essence it is a resume of the battle that is about to be electronically recreated.

For hypothetical scenarios a fictional background is written, often based on actual existing military units and political situations. The background then serves as the foundations for the creation of the scenario.

The Second Step: Design – Preparing the Field of Battle
Average Time – 3 to 5 hours

A good map will nearly always have a tremendous influence on the course of the battle. Terrain is often the key to success or failure. The Raiders seek to prepare maps that are realistic, attractive to the eye, and representative of the actual field of battle.

Often a detailed map of the area for the battle is not available. This means that some conjecturing must take place. Wherever possible, the terrain is sculptured and then a map is put together to simulate as much as possible the actual place where the fighting occurred. In the case of hypothetical battles, we attempt to find out what the terrain in the area is like to add realism to the scenario.

Not everything can be accurately portrayed on a map. Further, the map editor in the SP series has certain limitations. Fields and high grass, for example, can only be placed on ground level hexes. There are other limitations, which, of course, make us do the best we can with the capabilities given us by the games.

The Third Step: The Fighters – Two Opponents Created
Average Time – 4 to 12 hours

At the Raiders, we not only choose units; we edit and remold them. If you look carefully though our scenarios with an editor, you will find units or combinations of units that are not readily available in the SP lists. As an example, in some of our SP3 scenarios there are snipers. Now most of you are aware of the fact that there are no snipers in the lists in SP3. Well, we have included them.

Some units that we have fabricated include the M577 command vehicle (a version of the M-113 APC), the T-30 halftrack, M3A1 Scout cars and many others. In Korean scenarios, we included the earlier model T-34 with the 76mm gun. Some were in use by the North Koreans during the fighting. SP does not give you that choice. What do we do? We take a T-34/85 and modify its firepower and armament to give you a T-34/76 model.

We also modify weapons, size of units (to show attrition), morale and experience of the units, even to the point of changing the names of the leaders (Don’t you get tired of “Wittman” being in every scenario containing German forces?).

Finally, whenever possible, every effort is given to personalizing the individual units. Instead of “US Infantry Squad” as the name of the unit, it is renamed “US 1st Squad/1Ptn/C.” The next unit in line would be the 2nd Squad and so forth.

On occasion, individual tanks and aircraft are given personal and unique names, just as the actual combat units did. This really helps the scenario to have a better military flavor and also aids in keeping units of the same outfit together for better command control. In really large scenarios with lots of units, the amount of personalizing is sometimes limited to avoid confusion.

Once chosen and modified, we carefully deploy these units onto the map. We never just pick some units and stick them on the map somewhere. Unit placement is as important as unit choices. The Raiders always try to have units placed so as to mirror actual historical placement and give flavor and challenge to the scenario.

In our scenarios, units are placed on the map in such a way as to give the player an opportunity to do a little strategic planning before the fighting begins. Often the first two or three turns allow the human player a moment to organized his units and develop a strategy of action before the shooting begins.

The Fourth Step: Finishing Up – Putting the work to the test
Average Time – 8 to 10 hours

This step will make or break a scenario. It is every bit as important as the other three. If the scenario is not pre-tested, modified and tweaked, it will often turn out to be a dud. We simply do not cut corners here. We can’t afford to. The map may be a geographical marvel, the units unique and challenging; but if there is no balance, or units left in corners, or it has a sense of incompleteness, the scenario loses its value.

We don’t want to produce scenarios that are unwinnable nor do we want them to be to easy either. No one likes a pushover, but everyone likes to have a chance to win. Its that simple. To have a top grade scenario requires hours spent at playing and replaying the scenario.

Here is where the entire Raider staff goes into action. All the Raiders are qualified gamers. The testing begins with the author of the scenario. Once he had made all the corrections and improvements he can see that are needed, he passes it on to the development team. Each member tests every scenario at least three times, becoming alternately the good and then the bad guys.

Corrections and play balancing take place as this is being done. Once testing is completed, the tester fills out a written report and submits it to Raider HQ. Here again, if needed, more improvements and refinements will be made. After a number or sessions with the scenario, it is considered to be ready for your pleasure.

All of this is done to insure that the scenario provides the playability and challenge that it should to you. Our focus is on accuracy, fun, challenge, and playability.

We all know that the amount of hours spent on a project is no guarantee of its success. Without all that effort, however, the product will undoubtedly be inferior to the standards of most wargamers and more to the point, ours.

After all, we design and develop scenarios because we ourselves like to play them. We work very hard to put out the best that we can. We want to offer you the most accurate scenario possible. We do it for you.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: A New Look at some old Stuff - 3/5/2005 1:33:39 AM   
mosh

Whell Yes!

Are going to dig up that old tutorial also of doing scenarios? You posted it at the forum, but I can't remember name of it. If it is same stuff then you donät have write it again, just Search&Bump ..

Could it be so easy?

salute

mosh aka skukko

If its not rotten, shoot again.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/5/2005 4:45:05 PM   
Wild Bill

Changing Units to P2.

You've probably noticed that side one has a "P1" The second side's units should all

be "P2." if during your design you change or remove, then add units, they will come

out as "P1" also.

You don't want that. The P1 and P2 indicate the player in an online game.

So what you need to do is to make sure that all units on side two have a P2 above them or it will mess online play.

Here is how I change computer units to P2. It is a simple four-step process.

1. Open the editor

2. Open the scenario by clicking on Deploy for side 2.

3. Click on the "H" button on the right at the top of the screen. That will take you to your "formations."

4. You will see your map with the A0 unit highlighted. It will already be a P2 so it does not need to be changed.

Once the A0 unit is found, use your keyboard, click "G." Then press the "F2" button. Then repeat this again and again until you arrive at the A0 unit again. You will cycle through every formation, changing the P1 to P2.

Simple process and it does work.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to mosh)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/5/2005 4:46:04 PM   
Wild Bill

Most certainly we will do that, Mosh. There are a lot of little things that can help the scenario designer so much.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/9/2005 7:09:57 PM   
Sturmpionier

Man, I wish I had known that about a year ago. I changed a scen's units from P1 to P2 by hand, unit by unit. Boy, do I feel dumb. I guess it could be worse. Everyone could know how dumb I am.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/11/2005 11:01:55 AM   
Wild Bill

Better late than never, Sturmpioner...You'll be prepared for the next one...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Sturmpionier)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/13/2005 5:11:22 PM   
Wild Bill

SPECIAL FEATURES IN SPWAW

All of these features, Reaction Turn, Waypoints, Formation objectives, reinforcements, work properly if used properly in SPWAW.

The problem is that they are often not used properly and therefore you don't get the desired result. It follows certain logic.

We'll bypass reinforcements and reinforcement hexes.

Here we go.

If you are going to use Reaction Turns, waypoints and objectives you should use them together.

1. The formation, in order to use any of these, should be set to "computer control"

2. Once you set a formation to "computer control" you must then tell the computer what you want it to do with that formation.
If you don't the computer will do what it thinks best, including moving the units even though you don't want them moved.

3. Naturally, while under human control, the units will do what you tell them too. They won't move unless you tell them to. They won't fire (except op or reaction fire) unless you tell them to.

4. When you set a unit under computer control, you must then tell the computer how it should use them.

=================

Now to some particulars.

Let's take a hypothetical formation, a US rifle platoon. It is composed of B0, B1, and B2.

The US side is the computer side. I am the human player and I have the Germans. This is a German attack vs. a US Defend scenario.

Here are the steps you follow: Click on the H button at the top right of the unit deploy screen in the editor.

1. Set the formation "B" to computer control. Important! Do that even though the computer is already controlling the US side. You do this in order to specify to the computer how the unit is to move and be used by the AI.

2. Now since the scenario is US Defend, what do you want formation B0 to do?

a. If you want it to stay in place throughout the scenario without moving, set B formation reaction turn to 99. Put a formation objective flag in the B0 hex. It should stay in place until it retreats or dies, if done correctly.

b. But say you want it to move beginning at turn 5. You want it to go to objective flag in hex 22, 50.

c. Set B formation from defend to advance. Set the reaction turn to 5 for formation B. This means that formation B will advance, but not before turn 5 (give or take a turn or so...computer random selection).

d. Now go back to unit deploy screen, click on unit B0 and then set the formation objective flag (the blue flag) in hex 22,50.

Now come back to the "H" screen where you were before.

e. Now you want formation B to follow a certain route. That is where waypoints come in. You may want formation B to take an indirect route to hex 22,50 in order to flank where you think the human player might be.

f. So you click on the two little arrows next to the computer for formation B.

g. A new screen appears. You find B0 (leader of B formation) on the map, and from there you go to the first spot you want formation B to go to. Click on it. A yellow line is seen from B0 to your first waypoint. Continue doing that for up to 10 times. I would make sure that the final waypoint ends at hex 22,50 (where the blue formation objective flag was placed).

So now you have set formation B to remain in place till turn 5 (this may vary a turn or two. The computer does this randomly). Then it will begin moving from waypoint to waypoint till it reaches 22.50. If it becomes involved in combat, it will fight normally, but when it can, it will move on till it eventually arrives at 22,50 where it will remain unless killed or routed.

Others may have other suggestions, but these seem to work well for me.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing units to P2 in The Scenario Editor - 3/15/2005 6:17:01 AM   
m10bob

bump..

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: A New Look at some old Stuff - 3/17/2005 10:50:20 PM   
Wild Bill

Thanks for the bump, Bob...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
TEXT FILES FOR SPWAW SCENARIOS - 3/18/2005 6:52:45 AM   
Wild Bill

Procedure for Writing Text Files for Scenarios for STEEL PANTHERS, WORLD AT WAR
By Wild Bill Wilder

Writing the introduction for a scenario for any scenario is more important than some realize. It is the window that allows the gamer to get a peek at what is in store for him. It needs to be informative AND inspirational! In this game the layout can be a little tricky. Here is how it should be done.

You use a simple text file editor such as Notepad or WordPad. If you use any other more sophisticated program, you should always save it as a .txt file.

The Text File should include the following information with this sort of setup.

_____TITLE**
<space>
__Type of Battle*
_Location and Date*
_____Turns: x**
<space>
_Design: John Doe**
<space>
Background and hints**

Resources**

Read this over carefully. This is the usual order of information I use personally.

Now let’s take a look at this in a little more detail.

The underscore (____) is used to move the text so that it is centered.
The Asterick ( * ) is used to create a line break so that the text is not all run together. Two asterisks should be used to create a space between paragraphs.

Now here is an example already filled out:

___SAVING PRIVATE RYAN** (I always do titles in caps)

_German Advance vs US Delay*
Ramelle, France, June 10, 1944*
________Turns: 15*
__Design: Wild Bill Wilder*
__bwilder@bellsouth.net*
Background;*
Type in a historical background here. Make paragraphs short. Don’t write a book. The gamer wants to play, not do a lot of reading. Two or three paragraphs should be sufficient.

Now give a presentation of what is happening in this scenario so that the player can be aware of what he is doing and what he might expect. Include hints if you wish, but don’t tell it all. Keep a few surprises for him.*
Remember, keep it to the point. It’s very easy to write too much.*
Include sources if you wish.*
------------
Now notice that I used the _underscore to center my text. Notice that the asterisk separates sections and paragraphs and puts a space between each section.

To get an even better idea, open some of the text files in the game with a text editor such as notepad or WordPad.

When you think it is done, save it as xxx.txt in the SPWAW \Scen subdirectory. Save it with the same numbers (xxx) as the scenario it introduces.

Finally, always open the game and check how the text looks in the game. It may look good in the text file but the game may show it differently.

From there you can reopen the text file and make any corrections you wish.

Here is one example of how it should be done. This is taken from a scenario in SPWAW, The Moment of Truth.

Sample Text File:

---------------------

_____THE MOMENT OF TRUTH**

_German Advance vs USSR Delay*
Prokhorovka, USSR, July 12, 1943*
_________Turns:25**

___Design: Wild Bill Wilder*
____bwilder@bellsouth.net**
After seven days of some of the fiercest fighting of the Second World War on a scale that would never be seen in the battles of western Europe, the 2nd SS Panzer Corps makes a final bid to break free of the defensive choke hold by the Russians at Prokhorovka.**

It is the key battle in the south of the Kursk salient. Hitler has pooled all of his resources for this confrontation.**

He and his generals know that any hope for the future of the war against the Soviet Union rests on this effort. It is "The Moment of Truth!"**

Three of Germany's best Panzer Divisions, the SS Totenkopf, Liebstandarte, and Das Reich are at the point of the attack. At the same time the Soviet 5th Guards Tank Army is opening a counterattack. Over 400 German and 800 Soviet tanks and armored vehicles pound at each other throughout the day.**

The tanks of the Leibstandarte are making one last monumental effort to crack the stubborn Russian resistance. It is now or never for the Wehrmacht.**

This scenario should be played from the German side. Your goal is to break the Russian defenses and secure all the objective flags before the game ends.**

Kursk, The Tide Turns, Healy*
The Battle of Kursk, Glantz & House*
Citadel, Cross*
Barbarossa, Clark*
Stalingrad to Berlin, Ziemke*
Lost Victories, von Manstein*
Thanks to Grenadier Richards for his historical contributions*

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
RE: TEXT FILES FOR SPWAW SCENARIOS - 3/18/2005 8:07:44 AM   
Dragoon 45

Wild Bill, Please keep posting these tips. This is great.

Artillery always has the Right of Way

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
RE: TEXT FILES FOR SPWAW SCENARIOS - 3/20/2005 5:11:07 PM   
Wild Bill

Happy to do so, Dragoon. I'm glad that they are a help to you....WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Dragoon 45)
Post #: 14
Gullies and Sand Dunes - 3/20/2005 5:14:59 PM   
Wild Bill

To make shallow gullies, make a row of marsh hexes. Then click over them with rough hexes. Now you have a -2 gully to fire from.

To create sand dunes in the desert, click in a series of singles hex one level hills, zigging and zagging to simulate the blowing of the sand. Now click over them with the desert equivalent of high grass. Now you have +5 slopes, ideal for tanks to fire from. it also breaks up the monotony of the desert and gives a good feel to the uneven ground even in such barren spaces.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
More on varying terrain levels - 3/20/2005 5:18:24 PM   
Wild Bill

Many times roads approaching streams or rivers are raised to provide the bridge more height. One reason for this is to provide more clearance to prevent debris during floods from piling up against the bridge and destroying an expensive and time consuming construction. Here is how to simulate this on the SP Series maps.

At the points on the river where the bridge is going to cross raise the terrain to a level one hill to simulate the raised approach to the bridge. I usually make it one or two hexes long. It's all a matter of preference. Then reduce the hills back to a level 0 with only one click.

Don't click on the hex twice, it will destroy the effect. What clicking a raised hex only once does is reduces the terrain 5 meters instead of 10. So you have a level 1/2 hill. It's there but you can't see it without putting the cursor on the hex. If you look at the mini map you can see the 5 meter rise represented by greenish dots or splotches.

Now that you have your 5 meter rise, lay the road across the river, over the raised approaches. You can also use this for raised roads and to raise the roadbed when it crosses an island in the river.

This 1/2 level approach also works great for adding 'micro terrain' to maps or for constructing dug in 'gun pits'. Here's an example for a gun pit on level 0 terrain.

Add a level one hill to one hex. This will raise the terrain in the adjacent hexes by 5 meters. Then reduce the level one hill hex back to level 0. Click on it twice to be sure it is level 0. Do not click on any of the adjacent 5 meter hexes or they will also be reduced to level 0.

Now you have a center hex of level 0 with surrounding hexes of 5 meters. If you want you can reduce one of the back hexes in the pit to level 0 for an in/out access route not subject to observation and opportunity fire.

For micro terrain add a level to the surrounding terrain and then reduce it to the previous level, clicking on each hex individually. This will reduce all the raised terrain only 5 meters giving you a half level.

It's a good way to break up the unrealistic 'putting green' feel of all that flat terrain and make for a more interesting and challenging battlefield.

You'll need to set up a blank map and experiment with this before putting the detail in your scenario map. Practice makes perfect, or at least improves us a lot!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
Do You Want Me to Play Your Scenario? - 3/21/2005 7:06:28 AM   
Wild Bill

My Fellow Designers,

Why would I want to play your scenario? Or even play one of mine? Because my name is on it? I hardly think so.
What makes someone want to play your scenario? Personal opinion enters here but I think I speak for the majority of gamers.

1. A clear text, with some history and some ideas on what is going on. I hate and will not continue a scenario without the slightest idea of what is happening. An informed commander is a good commander or can be. Please don't expect me to guess. Even if limited intel, give me something!

If you want me to play your scenario, make it clear what is happening and give me some history so I can feel I'm reliving the moment, even if hypothetical.

2. Give me a chance! Don't create a scenario I can't win unless you tell me beforehand I can't. We all play to be the victors. Making a scenario impossible to win might work one time in a hundred. Don't get me angry by my playing my heart out and then see the best I could do, anybody could do, is a draw.

You better believe I'll think twice before I play another of your scenarios!

3. I hope I don't grow too old and find myself becoming glued to my seat, thirsty, hungry, wondering if my kids still live at home. In other words, I don't enjoy scenarios with more than thirty turns. Actually, a small to medium scenario is my favorite, but I'll take on a big one every once in awhile.

Bigger is not always better. I like a battle I can play in one evening. Let me know if it will take longer. If I see more than 30 turns I probably won't fight that battle.

4. Make it fun. Make it interesting. Surprise me! Make me stay on my toes. If all you ever offer me is an assault-defend type of battle, I'll play for awhile and then I'll look for something else with a little more spice.

5. Make a name for yourself with good, challenging, winnable, clear, and fun scenarios and I'll be your number one fan.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A New Look at some old Stuff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI