Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anybody played this game already?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Anybody played this game already? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anybody played this game already? - 9/4/2001 2:31:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

Sounds like MOO3. This could be nice, but I don't know about the pseudo-RTS thing. I'm to lazy to download the demo and play the game to find out, does anyone know how world conquest is handled? Do we have combat units that must be landed to take the cities? Are populations race specific? I mean can a world have multiple race types that share the same planet that end up requiring garrison troops, ala MOO2? Just curious....

Post #: 1
- 9/4/2001 3:11:00 PM   
David Heath

Hi Ed Go to our Starships Unlimited II page and look at the links. These are all links to reviews of te game. Some of these articles make for very interesting reading.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 2
- 9/4/2001 3:26:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath:
Go to our Starships Unlimited II page and look at the links. These are all links to reviews of te game. Some of these articles make for very interesting reading.

Doh! [slap forehead] links to reviews! I went to their website and read the long description on their main page but it didn't elaborate on my questions above. I'll try the reviews, thanks David.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 3
- 9/4/2001 4:14:00 PM   
bradmbrown

Looks real good! Downloaded it, installed it. Hassle free.
Didn't bother with the readme or anything, just went and started playing. Intuitive. The game interface takes real good care of beginning players, offering UNOBTRUSIVE hints: so easy to get help. Not clumsy at all. Real nice. The sound effects had my cat ready to bust a window, she wanted out of here so badly! I have had the misfortune of playing a few real time sci-fi/fantasy games and they all struck me as clumsy, crowded and carpal tunnel nukers. NOT this game! I am sure my young son is gonna love this. It is definately on my list of things to blow money on, once I climb out of the bush with a pocket full of money this fall.

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 4
- 9/4/2001 10:50:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by General Amnesty:
Looks real good! Downloaded it, installed it. Hassle free.

Downloaded it? I can't find a download link. The download page only has some banners on it. BTW. The link on the credits page: OFFICIAL WEB SITE Matrix Games – Starships Unlimited II
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/starshipsunlimited2 Goes to Uncommon Valor!

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 5
- 9/5/2001 8:05:00 AM   
bradmbrown

http://www.apezone.com/dload.htm Is where I got my demo...
Hope this works for you.

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 6
- 9/5/2001 8:56:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
Downloaded it? I can't find a download link. The download page only has some banners on it.
Try this:
http://www.apezone.com/install/stun2.exe and as it is shareware (test with silly limitations, get registered, try again if the game still sucks) , you may want to search on Astalavista for more information After some testing I decided that it wasn't worth the $25 for me as I'm on a tight budget at the moment .. but this hopefully changes in the future, so I kept the page earmarked (bookmarked ). Now that v2 will be published by Matrix, I'm really looking forward to it .. hope some of the major annoyances will be get rid of... can't get into detail here, don't have the time right now A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 7
- 9/6/2001 12:30:00 AM   
Marc von Martial

Well, despite from hinting others to a crackz/serialz site your input is very welcome here. Maybe you can share the "annoyances" with us here.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 8
- 9/6/2001 5:30:00 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Hey Arralen, can you please NOT suggest warez sites, especially, in this forum. Feel free to enlighten us on the major annoyances you've had with the pirated version, though.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 9
- 9/6/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Beetlecat

Hellos to all... I'm a registered Stun owner, and spend almost all of my computer gaming time with SPWaW... I guess I have one less web site to check from now on I was initially disappointed to hear that the shareware Stun was at the end of development, but with Matrix involved I'm sure the resulting product will be well worth the additional purchase price! Yay for Stun II =Layne

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 10
- 9/6/2001 10:47:00 PM   
Airwolf

I have played the game for a little while now. I love the A.I. The graphics aren't the best but I don't mind because the game is so much fun. I still lose to the computer about 50% of the time, at the hardest settings. The new version really looks like it will clean up the graphics and if it makes the A.I. any smarter this is going to be a really challenging game! Oh, BTW a big CONGRATS to Andrew. Regards,
Airwolf

Regards,
Airwolf [IMG]http://www.galttech.com/spot/bikini.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 11
- 9/6/2001 11:45:00 PM   
Larry Holt

I'm way to busy with SPWaW to deal with another new game but I downloaded it for my kids (10 & 12). How about some AARs, tactics tips, etc. to jump start us in this new game? Perhaps someone would like to write a tactics guide? Thanks

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 12
- 9/6/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna:
Hey Arralen, can you please NOT suggest warez sites, ...

I interperted this to mean to search for game reviews. I don't know which of us is correct. If the game is properly copyrighted and you find a warez site you can complain to the ISP, threaten a lawsuit, research the local prosecutor offices number and include it as evidence that you are serious, etc. and you should be able to get it removed.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 13
- 9/7/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Jasper

It definitely sounds like a MOO, never like demo though. Didnt try it yet but waiting for the screenshot.

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 14
- 9/7/2001 10:02:00 PM   
Airwolf

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
I'm way to busy with SPWaW to deal with another new game but I downloaded it for my kids (10 & 12). How about some AARs, tactics tips, etc. to jump start us in this new game? Perhaps someone would like to write a tactics guide? Thanks
I hope these tips will help.
1. Weapons: Don't develop more than 2 families of weapons. Anything beyond that takes way to long to research. I try to work on one 'energy' using weapon family and one 'non-energy' using family. Things like waves, guns, and beams all use energy from the planet and ship generators. Weapons like torpedoes, standoffs, and missiles don't use any energy. 2. Research the laboratory early and don't forget to build one on your planet(s). The lab makes all the other research go faster.

3. When you meet a computer remember its time to get some security forces in place to catch spies. Also when you meet a computer it is time to start beefing up your star ship fleet. I normally fly with only 1 or 2 ships until I meet a computer. Then I get my fleet up to 4 or 5 ships. Once you meet a computer it usually isn't long before you are at war. 4. Never underestimate the power of 'quicken' and I am not talking about the accounting software. That should get you started. [ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Airwolf ]

Regards,
Airwolf [IMG]http://www.galttech.com/spot/bikini.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to Ed Cogburn)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Anybody played this game already? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI