Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stun and Stun two whats the diff?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Stun and Stun two whats the diff? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stun and Stun two whats the diff? - 9/25/2001 11:04:00 PM   
Meatboy Dogfood

So Matrix guys what will some of the differances between the shareware and the retail version be? I know that we are getting music, {Might we be able to hear a clip?}and some of Vassishes eye popping graphics. {Go Vassih GO }, but what else is in store. Will you be accepting input from the forum, or are you pretty much locked in to a set path. We all want to know.

Post #: 1
- 9/26/2001 1:38:00 AM   
David Heath

Matrix always wants to hear from the public. We get some of our best ideas from you guys. Andrew will address what new features he is finishing up on. IF any one got an idea or feature request NOW is the time to ask them.

(in reply to Meatboy Dogfood)
Post #: 2
- 9/26/2001 5:32:00 AM   
Sith4dmin

Also who is going to do the music and what style are you going to use? It would seem to me that it could go two ways, either orchestral or spacial techno-trance. So as far as requests go I would say contract Jeremy Soule for the former (he has done a lot of game music so you should recognize the name) or Sonny Nilsson for the latter, respectively. (Sonny Nilsson goes by TmX in the tracking scene, and you can check out his work here http://www.traxinspace.com/Artists/MusicDirectory.asp?ArtistID=6480 A lot of his work is under appreciated I think... like down at the bottom of the list are his spacial trance works and although they haven't been downloaded much I think they're some of his best.)

«§ith4dmin»
"Youth is blunder; manhood a struggle; old age a regret." ~Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield

Post #: 3
- 9/26/2001 11:50:00 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Eric Pearson is doing the music. Its orchestral in nature with some interesting variations. It's very good! Think Ascendancy.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

Post #: 4
- 9/28/2001 3:55:00 AM   
peaeri

Hey all, Just thought I'd check in and say how exciting it is to be working on the STUN II music. Andrew's game is getting a fantastic upgrade with its new graphics and game enhancements. From the little I've seen, it looks like there's a real winner on the way. Later,

Eric Pearson
(composer STUN Divided Galaxies soundtrack)

Post #: 5
- 9/30/2001 6:03:00 AM   
Meatboy Dogfood

Still thinking on what I would like to see in stun2. I know that you have to juggle what you can add verus the time you have to complete. I read Andrews report on what is in stun two Like the different freighter classes and space docks added in. Here are a few ideas I would like to see. 1. More types of artifacts to discover. 2.Turrets for ships as a research tech. 3.Bigger classes of ships. Ie Battlewagons and Dreadnoughts. 4. My Doomsday seed idea from the other forum. Thanks for your ear and If you wish greater detail on any of these Ideas let me know. One finial question. When will we be able to pre order the game?

Post #: 6
- 10/1/2001 11:13:00 PM   
cv

I remember the Doomsday Seed from the old forum and I still oppose it. The game would be so different that I would not buy it. It might be used as some sort of adventure module, but leave it out of the original game.

Post #: 7
- 10/2/2001 12:37:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys Let me first say that Andrew makes the final Yes or No on these options. But a solution might be to make it a game option, If you want to use it turn it on and if not don't. This gives the best of both worlds. This may not be possble do to code and timing issues but I wanted to add my two cents in.

Post #: 8
- 10/2/2001 10:05:00 AM   
Meatboy Dogfood

I have always wanted the seed to be a option like the planet killer. I know that you are under a ticking clock, and more coding is a big problem. Still I think it would be a neat addition to the game. [ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Meatboy Dogfood ]

Post #: 9
- 10/11/2001 1:14:00 AM   
Saint_Proverbius

Will Starships Unlimited 2 have multiple hull graphics based on the class size of the ship? That'd be a nice touch, as opposed to the tick marks method. If they're to scale, that'd be even better. I think the concept of shifting the focus of STUN to the starships is an excellent idea. Anything that enhances this would be all the better. More tactical options would be wonderful. Starboard and Port firing arcs, mines, and so on. Naming convention schemes for the classes of ship would be really nice. For example, the U.S. Navy named battleships after states, carriers are given names of the original revolutionary naval vessels, and so on. How about more missions for the unexplored systems? For example, to unlock some systems in Starships Unlimited, you had to get Holy Relics for the people on those planets. I thought that was really nifty, but there should be even more "quests" of a similar nature to get systems to allow you access to them. For example, stopping an interplanetary war in a system via negotiations or picking a side or even giving them access to a weapon/shield, curing a plague by getting medicines there, etc.

Post #: 10
- 10/11/2001 3:17:00 AM   
Vaaish

Saint: yes

-Vaaish

Post #: 11
- 10/12/2001 9:29:00 PM   
Meatboy Dogfood

Vaaish: Yes to witch or yes to all.

Post #: 12
- 10/12/2001 11:03:00 PM   
Vaaish

Sorry, I'm a little tired and a little rushed around here. Yes, there are hull sizes for each class ship.

-Vaaish

Post #: 13
- 11/24/2001 6:32:00 AM   
fmulder42

So, when is SUII due out?

Your friendly neighborhood usher from camden yards.

Post #: 14
- 11/24/2001 10:14:00 AM   
LilJoe

Yes, I too would like to know the ETA of this game if that's possible!

"Victory Through Superior Marksmanship"

Post #: 15
- 11/25/2001 1:46:00 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Okay, as for release. Should be in December. I've completed the game, it's now up to Matrix to get it out there. Divided galaxies will have 30 new artifacts. They're mostly of the "special ability" variety, giving the unit that uses it some enhancements. Things like "Master engineer" (wanted to call it "Scotty engineer" but too Star Trek) that speeds up repair times for the given unit. Sorry Meatboy, it's strictly potatoes on the menu . Was never too crazy about your Doomsday seed idea. It takes away from the real focus of the game. As far as making it an option to the game. It's too much of a designer feature. If I added that then before long everyone and his mother would want their own special feature added. I'm more for adding some feature that's a little more generic like random events. Anyways it's mute as there's nothing like that in Divided Galaxies. There really is never enough time to get everything I want in anyways. Just to re-iterate, yes, each ship class will have it's own distinct look. Vaaish has done a really nice job in making all the ships of a race have a family resemblance. You'll really know when a cruiser comes a knocking on your puny scout now. Having played the shareware version yesterday (to fix some bugs), I'm struck with how different Divided Galaxies plays. Virtually everything has been improved or enhanced. For one thing the galaxies have been doubled in size. This tends to slow travel down a bit, giving you more of a feeling of being in a big galaxy. The different freighter sizes also makes you more aware of your cash flow, which you have to manage more carefully now. You can pretty much play the game from the galaxy map now, clicking on stars to get a solar system view without going to the tactical view. Using this method you can see how much money you're losing in a resource system due to the freighters you have. With the graphic plots, you now have a better overview of what's happening. I'm not sure if anyone remembers version 1.0 of Starships Unlimited and its progression to version 2.3, but Divided Galaxies represents as big a jump as this (and that's a pretty big jump). Andrew [ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Ewanchyna ]

Developer of Starships Unlimited

Post #: 16
- 11/26/2001 2:46:00 AM   
Sith4dmin

Sounds really good overall. I personally am indifferent to the Doomsday Seed idea, but I know a number of others thought it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread (if the giant forum topic and other mentionings are any indication). However I believe you are correct in saying it would change the focus of the game far too much... maybe it could be an expansion pack? lol

«§ith4dmin»
"Youth is blunder; manhood a struggle; old age a regret." ~Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield

Post #: 17
- 11/29/2001 9:23:00 AM   
Meatboy Dogfood

Greetings Andrew.Hey no hard feelings here about the seed not making the final cut. I was just a suggestion just like all the others I have tossed out over the months. I see your point about the designer aspect however. So If I gotta have the seed I will have to design my own Game . {I guess that I will get around to that right after I make pigs fly} . All kidding aside I really respect the time and effort that you have put into this game, and as I have said before your game is the only one that I have been passionate about to even comment on. I am looking forward to buying the new Matrix {Seedless} version as soon as it is avialable.

Post #: 18
- 12/17/2001 10:35:00 PM   
Kentoras

Alright this is really sounding like the goods have reached spacedock. But are we going to have the ability to add turrets. HOW MANY classes will there be if its a change. Have you uprated the ancient's sentries.

Post #: 19
- 12/18/2001 4:23:00 AM   
Vaaish

there are 6 ship classes for each of the 12 ship sets. To my knowledge there is no ability to add turrets to ships, I believe that is what the field of fire display for each weapon represents.

-Vaaish

Post #: 20
- 12/18/2001 9:51:00 AM   
mischiefmaker

Lemme just add that I'm against freely rotating ship turrets. Not only would that screw with the weapon balance (and make everyone pick beams as their primary weapon) but it would guarantee that scouts will be useless in the endgame. Why maneuver when your guns can track the enemy freely? However, that doesn't mean that adding the options for left or right facing weapons wouldn't make combat a little more interesting.

"Revolution? Bah! Once those primitives have been exposed to the wonders of our technology, like the singularity toilet, they'll be overjoyed to become part of our empire!" "Provided, that is, they remember to leave the seat down."

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Stun and Stun two whats the diff? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI