Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Iwo Jima?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Iwo Jima? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iwo Jima? - 6/21/2000 9:29:00 PM   
victorhauser

Now that the new, larger playing area is coming in Version 2.0, it's possible to put all of Iwo Jima on the map. And knowing of Wild Bill's previous Iwo Jima scenarios in The Operational Art of War and Steel Panthers, the question arises, "When should we expect an epic Iwo Jima scenario/campaign from you, Wild Bill?"

VAH
Post #: 1
- 6/21/2000 9:34:00 PM   
Wild Bill

ah, you know me too well, Victor. Well, we have Wake Island (you have not seen that one yet, then Betio. Now we'll do Iwo Jima, that is for sure. I am not sure whether to do an entire campaign or just a scenario. Then again, we could do a campaign and split up the scenarios for separate play also. That way, those who don't like campaigns could play the battles. What do you think, Victor? Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to victorhauser)
Post #: 2
- 6/21/2000 11:38:00 PM   
Elvis

As the entire battle involved 3 divisions and lasted 36 days, "mini" campaigns focusing on individual units could be devised. As an example, follow 1/28 (1st Bn. 28th Marines) through the course of the battle: [list]
  • Isolation of Mt. Suribachi (19 Feb)
  • Mt. Suribachi (21 Feb)
  • Hill 362A and Nishi Ridge(1-4 Mar)
  • "The Badlands"
  • "Bloody Gorge" (to 25 Mar) [/list] The possibilities are endless. You guys have reunited me with an old favorite (SP) and I can't thank you enough. And here I thought the days of hearing "You're playing that game again?" were over... ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email] [This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 06-21-2000).] [This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 06-21-2000).]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• Post #: 3
    - 6/22/2000 4:02:00 AM   
    Wild Bill

SOunds like a good line up to me, Elvis! I did an Iwo campaign in SP3, and I may try to adapt it or use some ideas for a campaign in SPWAW. I'll keep this list of yours. Thanks..Unless you're going to do it first The Kunel ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 4
    - 6/22/2000 6:34:00 PM   
    victorhauser

I like big battles. The bigger the better. Iwo Jima is a nearly perfect setting for a series of Human (USMC) vs. AI (Japanese) games. This is because the AI will not be required to make any of the maneuver decisions that so often get it into trouble in other Human vs. AI games. However, I believe that, given the basic Steel Panthers campaign format, the best way to showcase the Battle of Iwo Jima will be to present a series of "set-piece" battles rather than as a campaign. I look to you, Wild Bill. Your experience and knowledge both regarding Iwo Jima and designing BIG battles makes you the obvious choice to bring the black sands of Iwo Jima to life again via SPWAW.

VAH

Post #: 5
    - 6/22/2000 11:53:00 PM   
    Elvis

What I meant by "campaign" was actually exactly what Victor stated - a series of "set-piece" related battles along a common theme. Poor choice of words on my part - the morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet P.S. WB - I'd love to help out with any Iwo stuff (or Okinawa, Saipan, Bougainville, etc.) I have an extensive collection of info, and the fact that I was a Marine never hurts [This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 06-22-2000).]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

Post #: 6
    - 6/23/2000 1:00:00 AM   
    Wild Bill

All right Leatherneck! We have a few already in our group...a riotous bunch. Warhorse is Semper Fi! Then there is Michael Reynolds in our Fields of Fire Group. We had a Seal, but the Marines eliminated that danger You address is not available. So drop me a line and we'll chat on the matter. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 7
    - 6/23/2000 6:25:00 AM   
    bigjim

heheh well my Dad was there and actually only a few of the 3rd division hit the island, he was one of them 3rd division, 21st marines, company I BigJim

Post #: 8
    - 6/23/2000 7:52:00 AM   
    Wild Bill

Your Dad was a hero. Only one who hit those ash gray beaches can know what it was. Thanks for sharing that, big Jim!...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 9
    - 6/24/2000 12:13:00 AM   
    bigjim

Well Bill he and alot of other Marines, he didn't lose his life there like so many did, he is dead now but from natural causes, and yes is was a "hero" to me anyway . He told me that the first flag was just a "short stick with the flag on it" on top of the mountain, and the famous flag raising was later. His group took the airfields in the center of the island so they could only see the top of surubachi. BigJim

Post #: 10
    - 6/24/2000 6:08:00 AM   
    Wild Bill

The fact that he was there at all makes him a hero. Men died on that island at all points during the entire six weeks it took to totally subdue it. Many men preferred the front lines to the rear because the Japanese were shelling the supplies on the beaches (and the wounded who were being transported back to the fleet). There was never a "safe" place on Iwo. My helmet is off to the man. You should be proud and of course, you are. Just as I am of my Dad and his part in WW2. WB ==== ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 11
    - 6/25/2000 4:08:00 AM   
    bigjim

Heh he did tell me the funniest thing he saw while there was a sailor on a Higgins boat giving flag signals while the japanese gunners were splashing shells all around him and the more they fired the faster he signaled. My dad thought that was a riot, if anything could be funny while under fire, I guess you had to be there to appreciate it

Post #: 12
    - 6/25/2000 9:43:00 AM   
    Wild Bill

I am picturing it and cracking up. Reminds me of the scene in "Tora, Tora, Tora," when the band speeded up the Star Spangled Banner during the raising of the flag on the Arizona, I think, while Japanese planes roared in over Pearl WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 13
    - 11/21/2001 8:47:00 AM   
    justicej

After the Marines dismount should the AMTRACKS stay or go back for reinforcements.

Post #: 14
    - 11/21/2001 9:06:00 AM   
    KG Erwin

Joseph, there are NO reinforcements for the LVTs to go pick up. You have a 3rd Div Company arriving as reinforcements with their own organic transport. I've been wondering myself, what were the ground missions of the LVTs in Marine amphibious doctrine? Were they to travel inland as serve as mobile firing platforms? To mount casualties for return to the battalion aid stations? All of this remains unclear in my reading of Marine Amphib operations. I get the general impression they were meant to get the marines ashore, dismount them, and provide direct fire support in the initial landings. After that, I don't know. Anyone have some info on this?

Post #: 15
    - 11/21/2001 1:41:00 PM   
    Wild Bill

The terrain on Iwo Jima was very rough on any vehicles, even tracked ones. LVTs were withdawn and preserved for later invasions. They were used for transporting wounded and bringing in supplies but their main function as landing craft precluded their continual use in the war. Ahead were Okinawa and possibly the invasion of Japan, and every available LVT would be needed for those. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 16
    - 11/21/2001 8:54:00 PM   
    Warhorse

I had the honor, while I was in the Marines, serving in the 3rd FMFPAC, to land there, for the 40th anniversary!! I was carrying my gear, plus the spare barrel bag for the .30 cal MG, I jumped off the trac, and promptly sunk up almost to my knees in that black sand!! It really dawned on me, how it must have been for our boys, you could not even move fast to get under cover, which, even now is almost non-existent. We were only allowed to venture into the 2nd berm line, and did some training, and a lot of Japanese and US reporters were there to document it, quite impressive to have walked on a legend, albeit a very bloody, costly one.... There are still a lower hull assembly of an amtrak in the sand, and lots of 20mm rounds laying around in the sand, they shot these at our guys, once they hit the shore.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    www.cslegion.com

Post #: 17
    - 11/21/2001 10:44:00 PM   
    Wild Bill

Thanks, Warhorse. I envy you, of course. To be there, even 40+ years later, must have left you in awe. And to catch just a tiny bit of the feeling of those kids as they tumbled out of those LVTs onto that floating volcano...wow. Thanks for sharing. WB

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 18
    - 11/22/2001 12:16:00 AM   
    Warhorse

I have some pictures I took, while there, I could have someone maybe post them, I have no website myself to do so, maybe they could help in scenario design, who knows!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    www.cslegion.com

Post #: 19
    - 11/22/2001 12:22:00 AM   
    bobaloo000

Where can we get this campaign?

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

Post #: 20
    - 11/22/2001 9:20:00 AM   
    CaptainBrian

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse:
    I had the honor, while I was in the Marines, serving in the 3rd FMFPAC, to land there, for the 40th anniversary!! I was carrying my gear, plus the spare barrel bag for the .30 cal MG, I jumped off the trac, and promptly sunk up almost to my knees in that black sand!! It really dawned on me, how it must have been for our boys, you could not even move fast to get under cover, which, even now is almost non-existent. We were only allowed to venture into the 2nd berm line, and did some training, and a lot of Japanese and US reporters were there to document it, quite impressive to have walked on a legend, albeit a very bloody, costly one.... There are still a lower hull assembly of an amtrak in the sand, and lots of 20mm rounds laying around in the sand, they shot these at our guys, once they hit the shore.
    I was able to go there 6 years ago and standing on top of Suribachi looking at the landing beaches I can only imagine the flanking, enfilade fire the Japanese were able to pour into the waves as they came ashore. I'll also verify Warhorse's statements about how deep the sand is and how it inhibits movement. I could hardly walk much less run in it. It's a wonder anyone made it ashore.

CaptainBrian

Post #: 21
    - 11/22/2001 1:07:00 PM   
    Wild Bill

I can send you the SP3 Campaign if you wish Babaloo. Just e-mail me. We don't have a campaign (yet!) for Iwo Jima in SPWAW...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
    Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 22
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Iwo Jima? Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI