Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/15/2005 4:06:30 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: diesel7013

Well, you are a Brit an' all...

Bet you loved Monty too!!

And remember, there are a lot of great men, never said I thought Patton was the greatest general of all time... we all know that was McClellan...

Nah, Mark Clark...

McClellan was a pacifist. That rules him out of any discussion about the greatest General of all time.

Now, if you want to talk about greatest Quartermaster....

(in reply to diesel7013)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/15/2005 4:13:42 AM   
SemperAugustus

There is some information on the bomb project on Luft 46 if you're interested:
http://www.luft46.com/armament/armament.html

(in reply to diesel7013)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/15/2005 5:51:49 AM   
Drex

PBS had an interview with the author this morning. H e described the bomb as as a combination of fusion and fission and only had an effective radius of 500 yds. It was too small to be of any use in 1945 so was never tried against the enemy.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/15/2005 6:38:25 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: SemperAugustus

There is some information on the bomb project on Luft 46 if you're interested:
http://www.luft46.com/armament/armament.html

That makes very interesting reading, thanks for the link.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to SemperAugustus)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/15/2005 7:24:53 PM   
pzgndr

The descriptions of a crude nuclear device are plausible. I would not be so quick to discount what the Germans may have done. Some information may still be highly classified.

quote:

If such a pile became hot enough (remember, Fermi's pile had no cooling system! That reaction was modulated by graphite rods inserted and withdrawn by manual control),

Fermi's pile was to demonstrate nuclear criticality. That does not necessarily mean enough heat is being generated that cannot be cooled by ambient temperatures.

quote:

PBS had an interview with the author this morning. He described the bomb as a combination of fusion and fission and only had an effective radius of 500 yds.

Very unlikely this would have been a fusion device either by design or mistake. I can believe the 500 yard radius for a low yield device, and that would be consistent with the alleged accounts of the Ohrdruf explosion.

I'm very curious to see more information about this. The book should be interesting.

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/16/2005 12:37:27 AM   
Pippin

I am stuck wondering which is more silly. A nazi nuclear submarine, or the statement that all nuclear scientists were jews. I suppose there was no hope for the non jewish researchers, as they must lack some kind of scientist genes? LOL

And over at the Avalon Hill forum they are talking about nazi ufos still flying today.
Thanks for the crackpot threads you kids.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/16/2005 10:35:51 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I am stuck wondering which is more silly. A nazi nuclear submarine, or the statement that all nuclear scientists were jews. I suppose there was no hope for the non jewish researchers, as they must lack some kind of scientist genes? LOL

And over at the Avalon Hill forum they are talking about nazi ufos still flying today.
Thanks for the crackpot threads you kids.

What Nazi nuclear submarine?

Who said ALL scientists were Jewish?

Please...

Before you insult fellow wargamers, please read the posts carefully.

Most comments presented here are reasonable...

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/16/2005 11:16:38 PM   
Pippin

I apologize, thought we were speaking of the Nuclear u-boat theory that has been going around as of late. I just can't keep up with all these new theories & conspiracies. What happend to the good old Faking the Apollo missions? At least there are some professors around to back that one up.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/16/2005 11:54:59 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I apologize, thought we were speaking of the Nuclear u-boat theory that has been going around as of late. I just can't keep up with all these new theories & conspiracies. What happend to the good old Faking the Apollo missions? At least there are some professors around to back that one up.

heheh

No problem. Misunderstandings happen.

Although I agree there are a lot of crackpot theories going around.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/19/2005 10:44:56 PM   
runes

alright, alright, new hypothesis:

is it at all possible SOME type of bomb was dropped/tested late-war in germany? (Killing X-hundred people as described) And believed by Germany to be on the way to becoming some new super-weapon? Nuclear/fission/super erradicator-destructo bomb/whatever.

I think it IS likely. Although in truth, it may have just been a very high-yield conventional bomb.

Someone said "soil in the area has evidence of radiation" (para) can you give us sources? I've NEVER heard about Germany having radiation bouncing all around, even in the remotest of areas.

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/20/2005 1:11:47 AM   
Warfare1

I don't know anything about a dirty bomb explosion in Germany.

However, check out the links I gave about U-234 - it was carrying several boxes of uranium oxide and shipping it to Japan.

This fact raises several questions:

1) Germany felt Japan could use the material. How so? How far along was Japan in its bomb development? Or was Japan just going to use the stuff in its Kamikaze planes to attack US invasion forces?

2) Did Germany test a small "dirty bomb" but decided NOT to use it against Allied forces (since it was doomed anyway?).

(in reply to runes)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb - 3/20/2005 1:23:49 AM   
Warfare1

I posted this in another thread, but it seems to be useful here as well:

"New research indicates that the Japanese had closer to 13,000 (12,700) planes being held in reserve in the home islands to attack the American invasion ships.

This doesn't include the hundreds of smaller vessels that were packed with explosives and were to be used to ram landing craft..."

The mind simply boggles at the casualties the Japanese could have inflicted upon the American invasion forces, especially had those planes been packed with "dirty bomb material" (ie uranium oxide).

Had an invasion of the Japanese home islands been undertaken, then the number of deaths (of both Japanese and Americans) would have dwarved the number of casualties caused by the atomic bombs exponentially...

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 3/20/2005 1:31:45 AM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT: Nazi Nuclear Bomb Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI