Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

the BIGGEST wish for WITP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> the BIGGEST wish for WITP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 1:43:20 AM   
WWII

WITP is really the best game I’ve ever played. If there is only one game I can play from hundreds, I will stick with it.

Having said that, I hate one thing about WITP. It is so time-consuming. I think this is the main reason that some of my friends, they don’t like WITP after I demo them the game. So the biggest wish from me is that please consider easier user interface in future patches. For example:

1. Airplane production. Can I have one page that allows me to see/sort all airplane production/need and can convert them as well, instead that I make notes and go to each city to do the math and conversion?
2. Troop loading, I agree troop only and supply, but can we think something easy to judge whether I have enough boat to carry all I want instead of loading supply, or loading troops?
3. One page to give order to TFs or land units?

All in all, simplify the user interface and save the game time. If I can reduce the planning time for the first turn (scenario 15/16) from 5 hours to 2 hours, I think WITP will be more popular and have more fans.

The biggest wish for 2005.
Post #: 1
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 3:50:11 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

but can we think something easy to judge whether I have enough boat to carry all I want instead of loading supply, or loading troops?

Piece of cake. Multiply by 2.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to WWII)
Post #: 2
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 4:00:56 AM   
Crimguy

Here here, although I have other gripes than yours. The interface could definitely use some work.

Just don't hold your breath for a UI overhaul.

I'd like to see an entire supply section, where you could 1) keep track of all your transports and see how much supply a base is getting per month; 2) assign new TF's; and 3) have warnings of bases that will be undersupplied.

I'd like to be able to set alerts so that I know when certain units become available.

I'd like the game to be in windowed mode standard.

Id like all screens to follow Windows standards, with the ability to move them and minimize them so that I can see what's going on. I would like this to extend to the various reports as well. No need to hide the screen with pretty graphics.

I'd like the map to always display all LCU's. Drives me nuts when I want to send a TF to some remote island in the PI, only to forget which one has the LCU residing there.

I'd like the hex coordinates to constantly update based on where my mouse is, even if I don't select a hex.

I'd also like world peace, and Salma Hayek to rub my back while I play, giving me soft words of encouragement.

(in reply to WWII)
Post #: 3
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 4:11:09 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

I'd also like world peace, and Salma Hayek to rub my back while I play, giving me soft words of encouragement.

Not me man, those eyebrows just don't work for me. OTOH, I just watched Quest for Fire for the jillionth time and I think Rae Dawn Chong and I together could establish the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere in no time.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 4
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 4:58:17 AM   
WWII

Most of time, I don't have that many boats in my front line. Besides, not good at multiplication.

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

but can we think something easy to judge whether I have enough boat to carry all I want instead of loading supply, or loading troops?

Piece of cake. Multiply by 2.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 5
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 5:03:52 AM   
Mike Scholl

I think JWILKERSON got it right in one of the discussions when he pointed out that much more of this game is "hard-coaded"
than a lot of others, and wished for more perameter files (or some technical term). That would be the best thing to wish for.
The fact that even 2by3 can't seem to change a lot of the troublesome and aggrivating parts of WITP without a massive
expenditure of effort and expense is frustraiting. I hope they let some of the forum's "code experts" have a crack at it
soon. Some of them SOUND very knowlegable..., maybe they CAN fix it.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 6
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 5:11:45 AM   
scout1

I agree with you Mike. Not that Michael Woods isn't good at what he does, but he is one person. Divide this puppy up into 3 or 4 sections/pieces and most importantly generate a software debug tool and these guys would be off to town. One of the biggest problems 2x3 had with this beast was the combination of its size and complexity coupled with the lack of ANY kind of semi-automated tool to check it. From what I've read, they were using the same hi-tech tools that they forced on us - paper and pencil. They never stood a chance (IMHO).

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 7
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 9:35:42 AM   
Jaws_slith

Well only thing I would like to see improved (after 1.5. of course) is the loading times. I've got a PIV 3.2 GB with 1.5 GB mem and it still takes a lot of time to load the program and between turns.

The idea of controlling a lot of units from one position, will IMHO undermine the creativity of players in each battle sector of the total campaign.

Good Hunting

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 8
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 10:46:03 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Right-click on the WitP icon, go to properties and add -w to the 'Target' command line.

quote:

Forget world peace - in that particular case, I would even forget WitP

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 9
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 3:36:46 PM   
Crimguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Right-click on the WitP icon, go to properties and add -w to the 'Target' command line.

I'm aware of the option, but it doesn't work properly on my computer. The window is slightly too big for the screen, requiring "auto-hide" to be turned on in the taskbar. It also causes a couple graphical glitches (purple jaggies around all of the round arrow buttons). The "windowed" mode that was enabled after 1.2(?) was a hack, and the game wasn't designed for it originally.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 10
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 4:46:27 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

In the properties there is also a setting for window size, when I set it to maximum I get problems, too, but set to normal I get a window size slightly smaller than the screen. May depend on the standard resolution settings of the 'puter.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 11
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 7:59:11 PM   
Crimguy

I'm running 1024x768 on my lowly 17" monitor.

I'll check the maximized/normal setting when I get home though, thx.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

In the properties there is also a setting for window size, when I set it to maximum I get problems, too, but set to normal I get a window size slightly smaller than the screen. May depend on the standard resolution settings of the 'puter.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 12
RE: the BIGGEST wish for WITP - 3/22/2005 11:52:14 PM   
Yamato hugger

The ONLY thing that matters to me persoanlly is that the replay function magically begins to work, no-fail, every time. Anything above and beyond this is cake.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> the BIGGEST wish for WITP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI