Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM file size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM file size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM file size - 6/23/2000 5:03:00 PM   
DarkAngel

Hi, me and a friend is playing the "Maus that roared" in PBEM. And the PBEM files is just getting bigger and bigger. We have just reached the 1MB in German turn 5 and is wondering if its just gets bigger every turn? I think this is a lot of data to send. A typical WestFront PBEM file is 120kb with a very BIG scenario. What do you think? Is this a bug/feature I will have to live with? Best regards and thanks for a great game! Mark "DarkAngel" Jensen Denmark

Post #: 1
- 6/23/2000 6:01:00 PM   
O de B

I think the file is becoming bigger because there is more data to describe each turn : abandoned units, LOS, replay (espescially this one) ... When a lot of units will have been destroyed, and combat intensity will decrease, so should the size... Also i think the data is not compressed. I hope you use something like winzip before sending your turn ? I think the compressed size sould not go over 100-200 Kb. Also i never played West Front but is there a replay as detailed as in SP in this game ? more details more space used

(in reply to DarkAngel)
Post #: 2
- 6/23/2000 6:50:00 PM   
Alastair at Work

I'm afraid even with compression a secure pbem game quickly goes over the 1mb level. I have one now on 1.2mb per turn because we gave ourselves plenty of points to spend. With increased map size and more units still this is surely going to go up again to the point where I will have to set aside 20mins or so just to download the game files! However it seems to me this is a small price to pay for such a cracking game. Here in the UK we might even get to the stage [yawn... we've been waiting for ever it seems...] where local rate phone calls and hence internet connection becomes free and then the download time will not matter much at all. Currently each pbem turn download with a 56K connecting at 37.3 is costing me 5p per turn per game. I have tried Winzip and Winrar with no luck - does anyone else out there know of a different compression utility that might make the file sizes smaller?? Cheers Al

(in reply to DarkAngel)
Post #: 3
- 6/23/2000 9:07:00 PM   
O de B

You could try WinAce, i think it's a little better than WinRar. I fear that the problem comes from encryption . Maybe a good feature would be to add a built-in Zip compression before encryption into the game for pbem ?

(in reply to DarkAngel)
Post #: 4
- 6/23/2000 9:21:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The large file size comes from encryption. If you want small file size use non-secure (ie don't put in passwords). In-line zipping will may come eventually, but its a low priority

(in reply to DarkAngel)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM file size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI