Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

info

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> info Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
info - 3/25/2005 11:11:30 PM   
Spinoza

I have two questions:

1. Can i play an enjoyable game against the AI ?
2. How much time does it take to master the rules. ( i have played Advanced Squad Leader ( Avalon Hill ) and Korsun Pocket and BIN ).
Post #: 1
RE: info - 3/25/2005 11:21:33 PM   
Bradley7735

1: yes. If you play in a historic manner. You can easily defeat the AI if you want. Play on the hard levels and stand down your forces when you see the AI beating itself against a fortress.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Spinoza)
Post #: 2
RE: info - 3/25/2005 11:21:40 PM   
RUPD3658

Set the difficulty to Very Hard, do not peek or restart if things go badly and you will have a good game againat the AI. It is not as sneaky as a human but does a good job. Also, don't use any dirty tricks that you would use against a human. Remember, you are playing against a toaster, give it a chance.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Spinoza)
Post #: 3
RE: info - 3/26/2005 1:05:40 AM   
Grotius

What those guys said. If you play against the AI, pledge not ever to reload, even for dumb mistakes. The AI doesn't get that opportunity, and it needs all the help it can get. But yes, as long as you don't play a super-aggressive or wildly ahistorical game, the AI will give you a decent game.

As for the learning curve, it's tougher than Korsun Pocket but not as tough as ASL. On a spectrum, though, it's probably closer to ASL; WITP is about as complex as computer games get. It's just that the PC does much of the dice-rolling and odds calculation for you. You still have a 200+ page manual and a 55-page tutorial manual to keep you busy.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 4
RE: info - 3/26/2005 1:27:55 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Agreed with all of the above. The one major hanicap the AI has is its predictability. For example, you can pretty much bank on the fact that the AI will not make any sudden thrusts into your rear areas to interfere with supply flow. If you give yourself certain handicaps, like forcing yourself to station units for rear area protection, the AI should do fine.

I, personally, have found that the AI is a fine defensive player. Its offensive capabilities are limited, but setting up and execulting invasions is still challenging and very much fun.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 5
RE: info - 3/26/2005 1:41:38 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

How much time does it take to master the rules

Master or a-working-knowledge-of?....

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Spinoza)
Post #: 6
RE: info - 3/26/2005 5:02:13 PM   
Spinoza

Thank you very much for all the info !

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> info Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI