Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you game if you're married?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you game if you're married? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you game if you're married? - 3/28/2005 7:23:52 AM   
diesel7013

Okay - I'm married and have 3 kids... so, obviously I don't have alot of time to goof off on the computer and play wargames, 'cause there is always someone wanting me to do something...

Here's what I came up with a few years ago...

I sit on the couch w/ my wife when we get the kids to bed and while she watches TV, I play on my laptop... we sit together, I sorta pay attention to what's on TV, we can discuss it, and I get to game at the same time... that way she's not walking in on me in the office going "Get of that dang compter and quit being such a dork!"

Anyway - works for me!

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers
Post #: 1
RE: How do you game if you're married? - 3/28/2005 8:18:27 AM   
Zap

diesil7013 that is a creative way to keep in touch with the family. Its important, more important than playing wargames. I also do something similar with a desk top. While my wife is watching TV. I,m 10 feet away which allows me to converse with her thogh my back is to her I will swivle around in my desk chair and we talk.

(in reply to diesel7013)
Post #: 2
Very carefully - 3/28/2005 8:13:12 PM   
AnimalAl

Yeah the home office has its disadvantages. However if in the living room, there is the "noise" factor. I just try to ration the time, no more than one hour gaming per night, and sometimes skipping through weekends. It's tough but priorities have to be on keeping mamasan happy.

"Military strategy is the diplomacy of violence" (Thomas Schnelling).

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 3
RE: Very carefully - 3/28/2005 8:38:41 PM   
DamoclesX

My current gf understands that gamming, and graphics arts are a big part of my life, she found out first hand when my ex(her friend at the time) came down on my one night about how much time I Spent doing it and blah blah I should be doing other things(ie things she wanted, controling freaking women) and basically said I should stop wasting my life lol..

I said ya, your right, I should stop wasting my life... with you!

So that relaitionship ended LOL.

But a few weeks later her friend and I Started hanging out, playing act of war and stuff, and now its all good.

Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!

(in reply to AnimalAl)
Post #: 4
RE: Very carefully - 3/28/2005 8:45:00 PM   
JosephL

Lucky for me I get to play Matrix Games (and some others) and call it "work"...

Ironically I STILL get the "Get off that computer and spend some time with me" speech a lot... Just don't ask me to choose between them ;-)

-Joe

Joseph Lieberman

(in reply to DamoclesX)
Post #: 5
RE: Very carefully - 3/28/2005 9:37:17 PM   
wodin

I'm married and have put my foot down. I'm with her all day so I spend 1 1/2 hours a night on the PC. Still not enough though. Yes I still have compliants every now and again. However she knew when she met me I spent ALL my free time on games. I try and do it when she is wathcing TV or having a bath.

If the living room was bigger Ive mentioned I'd rather have the PC downstairs so I can be with her whilst I'm on it.

(in reply to JosephL)
Post #: 6
RE: Very carefully - 3/28/2005 10:05:26 PM   
Hertston

Hours. Basically for child minding duties she works 7 to 2, I work 9-30 to 6. I need less sleep anyway, so just go to bed much later than her weekdays - with exceptions for the obvious, anyway

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Very carefully - 3/28/2005 11:06:50 PM   
chief

As both my wife and I are retired time is not the problem. When I got bored with retirement the lady of the house suggested a hobby, got into computers and war gaming. When I feel a conflict coming up (after 50 years, ya kinda get the drift), I watch Tv with her for a few hours then she's off to bed and I'm back war gaming. Beings she's an avid reader during the day I get playing time. So's that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 12:01:04 AM   
Procrustes

Buying a good laptop and installing a wireless home network has saved me tons of grief. She has control of the TV remote, I'm in my big chair with the mobile 'puter. (The kids are grown.) She's chatty, though - I need to be ready to save and quit when I feel the sudden chill that means I've given too many "uh huh"s without making eye contact. My other ace is that I'm a bit of an insomniac, and she's not!

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 9
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 12:27:56 AM   
KG Erwin

Interesting topic. My job is strictly 5-days a week, 8 to 4. My wife is a retail store manager, so her hours vary. Meanwhile, my 8-year-old daughter is pretty independent, so she spends time playing with neighborhood friends, being involved in Girl Scout activities or entertaining herself at home. We are a "wired family", with a PC, two TVs and a Play Station. Everyone pretty much goes their own way, so I have no shortage of play time, or forum time.

The obvious downside is the shortage of opportunities to be together as a family. This is what "married with children" in the 21st century has turned into.

This week, which is spring break, is a prime example. I'm not allowed to take more than one or two vacation days during my job's peak activity time, so the girls drove down to Texas to visit the in-laws while I'm enjoying some time alone. We've done this for several years now.

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 10
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 12:33:56 AM   
Goblin

A Goblin lays down the law. Thats all it takes. Master of my cavern.

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 6:02:46 PM   
RBWhite

A good married soldier (wargamer) knows at home he only controlls the ground he's standing (sitting) on.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 12
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 9:51:43 PM   
sprior

I have the same kind of arrangement as deisel - my laptop on the coffee table, me sat on the sofa with Her Indoors, her watching TV and me kinda just so I can talk with her about it. And I take time with the kids before bed to read to them too. (currently reading The Hobbit).

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 13
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 10:33:56 PM   
sol_invictus

I'm afraid I was unable to make things work out and got a divorce 2 1/2 years ago. Me and my ex played Dark Age of Camelot on the home network for several months but that only goes so far. I must say that since I am still single, finding time to game is simply not a problem. Only problem is finding the opportunity for some "face time" with the gentler sex. Why must there always be a problem?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 14
RE: Very carefully - 3/29/2005 11:44:57 PM   
wodin

Thinking of buying a laptop for that very reason.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 15
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 12:43:17 AM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I have the same kind of arrangement as deisel - my laptop on the coffee table, me sat on the sofa with Her Indoors, her watching TV and me kinda just so I can talk with her about it. And I take time with the kids before bed to read to them too. (currently reading The Hobbit).

Good Book Choice

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 16
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 12:44:38 AM   
Cmdrcain

I wouldn't know anything about marrued, being an 40+ yr old Confirmed bachelor....

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 17
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 4:48:06 AM   
Rooster

Shared this post with my wife and we had a laugh because, like almost everyone it seems, this is a sore point from time to time. Mostly, we part ways after the kiddie goes to bed. But now one night a week we spend time together.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 18
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 8:19:50 PM   
Riun T

Hey guys,Me and my date are getting a real giggle out of this thread. We are lucky enough to not have alot of sidetrack demands of time or conditions of living arrangement,we occupy the upstairs area of the house and have a female tennant in the suite down stairs,no kids yet. Its really nice to have a house shaped like a four leaf clover all the rooms are close enough to converse in a semi raised voice if the A/C or jaccuzi tub is running,and we have got to personally thank the UgoIgo play style of Steelpanthers,don't know how many times the Op fire sequince of the game,The red line turn she calls it,has bailed me out of countless silly meanial tasks that she often can do herself but as she puts it requires my expert touch and assistance. Useually stuff like hanging plants,or strongarm service.She does the same thing to me in the red line turn and I've learned not to ask til the schedualed comertial breaks. Having a great time working it all out with her thou. RT

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 19
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 10:18:50 PM   
Goblin

I'm telling you guys, take charge, lay down the law, and have her make you a sandwich while you play. Maybe fetch a beer. The Goblin has spoketh.

Goblin

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 20
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 11:22:52 PM   
RBWhite

I'm telling you Goblin, I'm 6 ft., 215 lbs and not to flabby.

I took out the law and laid it down and she stepped on it OUCH!!!!

Then she told me where that sandwich could go, I asked her wouldn't be more healthier if I ate it first.

Got me one of those hot blooded hot tempered Italian girl, 4ft. 11in. 135 lbs. and a good right hook.

< Message edited by RBWhite -- 3/31/2005 11:34:40 PM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 21
RE: Very carefully - 3/31/2005 11:41:24 PM   
Goblin

Lol, I got you by three inches, maybe thats it?

Or, maybe you can type in all responses when the wife isn't around, like I do.

Goblin rules his cave!!

Gotta go, she's coming down the stairs...

Goblin

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 22
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 12:48:07 AM   
leastonh1

LOL! This thread has had me laughing my socks off. I'm married with a two year old boy so have heard most of the arguments mentioned so far. Although my wife has known from the start what I'm like, it's always been a sore point the amount of time I spend on the pooter. I spend my quality time with my wife and son in the early evening after work, but once he's in bed I get the option most evenings of 1 or 2hrs on the PC and she generally doesn't mind.

I have a laptop, but haven't tried using it while she watches TV or whatever yet. Great idea though :)

Keep the hints and tips coming guys, I love them.

On a side note. I think Matrix need a ticking off for causing much of this marital discord. If their games were no good, perhaps we'd have a happier (and quieter!) married life....hmmmm....then again, perhaps not.

My advice? Stay single and don't have kids if you want to be a wargamer!

Jim

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 23
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 2:25:22 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

My advice? Stay single and don't have kids if you want to be a wargamer!

Jim

I have two little girls. If you do want to have kids and wargame, make the wife watch them while she fetches beer and sandwiches (or pizza, make sure she knows it is your choice ) for you....

Have them occasionally Windex the screen for you too.

Goblin

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 24
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 2:36:33 AM   
RBWhite

Wife & I have three off springs or sprungs, oldest one left the nest a few years back. Two still at home that take good care of dad while I'm gaming and their mother is not around. When the wife is around they don't do anything I ask when I'm at the putter, they get a little mouthy when they get older you know, the girls that is, must get it from their mother. lol

< Message edited by RBWhite -- 4/1/2005 3:00:05 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 25
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 4:01:09 AM   
RBWhite

Jim_H

Try this one; The computer and computer war gaming has kept me home and out of the bars.

OR

If it wasn't for you the kids and the wargaming I'd be dead by now, but make sure you say it in that order.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 26
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 4:18:03 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBWhite

Wife & I have three off springs or sprungs, oldest one left the nest a few years back. Two still at home that take good care of dad while I'm gaming and their mother is not around. When the wife is around they don't do anything I ask when I'm at the putter, they get a little mouthy when they get older you know, the girls that is, must get it from their mother. lol

They start mouthy.

Goblin

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 27
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 4:42:57 PM   
RBWhite

Goblin

Thats called On the Job Training. lol

Game on.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
RE: Very carefully - 4/1/2005 10:24:58 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RBWhite

Goblin

Thats called On the Job Training. lol

Game on.

RB scores! Good call.

Goblin

(in reply to RBWhite)
Post #: 29
RE: Very carefully - 4/2/2005 3:25:44 AM   
Bossy573

Married, 2 children and an extremely demanding job. Game time is at an absolute premium so it all comes down to opportunism. Multi-hour gaming sessions are a dream which is why games like HOI2 and WITP are so hard to get into. But I buy them anyway and scratch and claw for some playtime. I'm liking games like World at War and Strategic Command more and more these days because they fit my play time far better.
Anyway, Saturday and Sunday mornings (during the golf off-season) are the best. I'm up every morning at 6am regardless so I usually get some premium PC time then.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you game if you're married? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI