Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/5/2005 9:00:32 PM   
wfzimmerman

Hello,

I am a spectator in an epochal game of WIF that Peter Kanjorski is organizing using Cyberboard system. There are some very well known players and about 10 on-line spectators. I volunteered to bring any lessons learned from that group back to the Matrix forum.

So far, we have spent about a month negotiating options, familiarizing everyone with the Cyberboard system, and getting almost through setup. ;-) It seems safe to say that "conversation-intensive" issues like choosing options and computer learning curve will also be important concerns for CWIF.

The other insight I'd offer so far is that Matrix CWIF should definitely ship with a *lot* of prepared set-up files for each power, including standard strategies like "demand Bessarabia", "France First," and so on. Take advantage of the computer whereever possible.

Cheers,

Fred
Post #: 1
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/6/2005 3:05:16 AM   
Fred98

Set up files are an obvipus one.

Another is that a player might have their own fav set up. It ought to be possible to save that set up to be used over and over again -until an opponent finds a fault in it

(in reply to wfzimmerman)
Post #: 2
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/6/2005 3:19:47 PM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
Set up files are an obvipus one.

Another is that a player might have their own fav set up. It ought to be possible to save that set up to be used over and over again -until an opponent finds a fault in it

This was one of my favorite options of the CWiF beta (a real time saver). I had several saved start up's especialy for the U.S.S.R. and Italy.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 3
Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/7/2005 1:01:21 AM   
Greyshaft

Great stuff!!!

I'm reserving my seat as a lurker on this thread and bringing the popcorn :)

C'mon the screenshots!!!

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 4
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/7/2005 2:35:23 PM   
Mziln

I hope wfzimmerman comes back or supplies a link if there is a site for the game as it progresses.

Since there have been no changes in the status of MWiF.

Post #: 5
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/9/2005 6:33:00 PM   
wfzimmerman

Much debate about meaning of Russian set-up. I'll see if I can figure out how to make Cyberboard show all counters in a hex.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 6
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/9/2005 6:33:56 PM   
wfzimmerman

and near vladivostok.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/11/2005 9:15:36 PM   
pak19652002

Hi everyone. Yes, indeed, we are starting a Cyberboard game and it's shaping up to be a dandy. There is still plenty of time to sign on as a spectator, which could be a great way to learn about Cyberboard. We are finding that players who have not observed at least one CB game are having some difficulty getting up to speed. The result is a slow start for us, infortunately.

Therefore, I would recommend that anyone interested in playing a CB game first observe at least a few turns of another game. That's what I did and I am now having no problem leading my own game.

So, you can contact me through this forum, or directly to pak19652002@yahoo.com if you are interested in watching the game.

Peter

P.S. I am playing Italy with Mike Cobb as Germany and John Benn as Japan. The allies include Michael Burke, Paul Dernyck, Vesa Saarinen, Kenneth Crist and Bryce Bingham.

Take a look at that Russian set-up in Asia. Any idea what they might be up to?

Post #: 8
Whats has its gots in its pocketses? - 4/12/2005 12:30:24 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: pak19652002
...Take a look at that Russian set-up in Asia. Any idea what they might be up to?

I'm looking at the Russian stack at Vladivostok.
Any hints what lies beneath?

(in reply to pak19652002)
Post #: 9
RE: Whats has its gots in its pocketses? - 4/12/2005 1:18:08 AM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft
I'm looking at the Russian stack at Vladivostok.
Any hints what lies beneath?

Probably guys with bolt-action rifles

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 10
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/12/2005 4:14:28 AM   
Mziln

Yup, guys with bolt-action rifles. looks like standard "Claim Bessarabia" and "Hold in the East".

Information down loaded from ADG 30setup.

Any map

1 Fighter, 1 Bomber, 1 Transport, and 5 Convoy Points

Europe

Timoshenko, 1 Mechanized, 2 Infantry, 2 Garison, 1 Cavalry, 1 Fighter, 3 Bombers, and 1 Submarine

Baltic - BB Marat and CA Kirov
Black Sea - BB Paris Commune and CL Chervona Ukraina

Asia

Zhukov, 3 Infantry, 1 Cavalry, and 1 Submarine

< Message edited by Mziln -- 4/12/2005 4:18:49 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/12/2005 7:47:08 PM   
pak19652002

Yeah, sorry. I forgot the screen cap doesn't show what's underneath. Basically, Russia loaded everything allowable into the area around Vladivostok. The Axis thinks this is a little risky given the vulnerable rail line near Blagovyeshchensk.

Playing with oil, how do they plan to reorganize Zhukov and other oil dependent units once that rail line is severed? I don't know, but we are soon going to find out. Stand-by. Fred will post more screen caps of the Japanese set-up shortly. Then, the fireworks.

Peter

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 12
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/12/2005 11:30:36 PM   
coregames

quote:

Playing with oil, how do they plan to reorganize Zhukov and other oil dependent units once that rail line is severed?

When tracing an oil path, it is like a supply path except that it can be of any length. So you have to cut off all access to the oil, including the farthest north hexes near Chita, as well as denying any route by sea to Archangel/Murmansk. So cutting the rail line will stop rail moves, but not oil. It's also advisable for Russia to stockpile some oil out there in Vlad, just in case Japan does cut it all off.

Of course, the Japanese could cut the line closer to the coast than Blagovyeshchensk... that might cause oil dependency problems for Vladivostok and environs.

< Message edited by coregames -- 4/13/2005 10:02:34 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/14/2005 8:41:40 PM   
wfzimmerman

Here are the German & Polish setups.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 14
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/14/2005 11:48:18 PM   
pak19652002

Leeb is one hex east of Breslau. Rundstedt is two hexes north of Poznan. Bock is one hex south of Konisberg.

Wait until Fred posts the Asian map. The Russians are going to be sorry they rebuffed the Emperor's peace offering.

Peter

Post #: 15
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/19/2005 7:41:45 PM   
Skanvak

Which gamebox do you use? (I mean made by who?)

Post #: 16
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/20/2005 7:36:22 AM   
Grotius

Er, how does "spectacting" work? You receive e-mailed updates on the progress of the game?

Not that I'm ready to spectate. I don't own WIF and I've never played it, but I have to say I'm pretty darn tempted to get it. Would "spectating" help me learn the game system?

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 17
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/20/2005 8:33:40 AM   
pak19652002

Thierry Aradan made the gamebox and Manuel Ron made the maps. I do not know Thierry but I ahve corresponded with Manuel.

Peter

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 18
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/20/2005 8:43:50 AM   
pak19652002

When playing a game on CB, each player is assigned his own game file which all start off being identical. The players then add layers of moves in the form of move files that are sent back and forth via email.

CB has added two additional types of game files, one for a referee and another for spectators. The spectator game file receives all the emailed move files from all the players and looks no different than the players' game files. The only difference is that the spectator game doesn't actually send any move files to players. You might say it's analogous to read-only CD, but even that is not completely accurate because you can pick up and move pieces if you like. But, that's more than you need to know to get started.

In any event, if you are interested, I will issue you an invitation to the Yahoo! discussion group we are using to manage the game and distribute move files. As a bonus, we have added all spectators to the Allied and Axis strategy email lists so they get a unique pespective into the thinking of both sides. We thought that would be a neat way to keep the spectators engaged.

Peter

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 19
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/20/2005 9:33:09 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

In any event, if you are interested, I will issue you an invitation to the Yahoo! discussion group we are using to manage the game and distribute move files. As a bonus, we have added all spectators to the Allied and Axis strategy email lists so they get a unique pespective into the thinking of both sides. We thought that would be a neat way to keep the spectators engaged.

Peter

Where do I sign up ?

Post #: 20
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/20/2005 8:33:05 PM   
Grotius

I'd be interested too. Actually, I think I just applied to join the Yahoo! discussion group; I think I registered under the name Lieutenant_Slothrop, but I forget. Anyway, do you need an e-mail address?

Also, if I were to take the WIF plunge, what gamesets would you recommend? WIF Deluxe?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 21
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/21/2005 4:55:27 AM   
pak19652002

Send me an email to pak19652002@yahoo.com and I will send you an invitation. Alternatively, go to the discussion group, PetesCBWiFgame@yahoogroups.com and request an invitation.

Peter

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 22
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 4/21/2005 4:57:19 AM   
pak19652002

That's a different group that is designed for general WiF discussion. Ours is devoted specifically for our CB game. Its address is PetesCBWiFgame@yahoogroups.com.

Peter

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 23
News from the front - 5/2/2005 7:33:45 PM   
pak19652002

News from the front:

All hell is breaking loose in our Cyberboard game and it is only the 4th impulse of SO39.

Poland was defeated during the first impulse after a masterful attack by our Fuhrer, Mike Cobb!

After the Russians inexplicably and perilously massed forces in Vladivostok, Emperor John Bennihito boldly declared war and attacked without hesitation. Zhukov is now hemmed in a small pocket around Vladivostok leaving Comrades Paul Derynck and Vesa Saarinen to ponder their next moves.

In Europe, Italy pre-empted a combined Franco-British invasion force by declaring war on the CW and doing moderate damage to its massive invasion fleet. France, as predicted, declared war on Italy during the 4th impulse and its bloodthirsty attacks are imminent. Sir Kenneth Crist and the mysterious French commander known ominously as "Lessor Minion" committed their entire fleets to this unprovoked attack on peace loving Italy (run by yours truly). I think we know their plan.

And, in a major surprise, Rumania denied Russian claims on Bessarabia and is now at war. What can Germany be thinking? Has Herr Cobb lost his mind? This move so completely befuddled the allies that President Michael Burke, in typically arrogant and condescending American fashion, magnanimously offered the "ruined" Germans to restart the game.

To date, there has been no response from Wolf's Lair.

This game is going in interesting and unusual directions. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!

Peter

Post #: 24
RE: News from the front - 5/3/2005 12:38:45 AM   
coregames

quote:

What can Germany be thinking?

Don't forget that German units can enter Rumania, even though they can't join in counterattacks on the Russians. Denying the claim can work if the Germans are done with Poland very quickly (as is the case here).

Post #: 25
RE: News from the front - 5/3/2005 12:57:10 AM   
celebrindal

quote:

News from the front:

All hell is breaking loose in our Cyberboard game and it is only the 4th impulse of SO39.

Poland was defeated during the first impulse after a masterful attack by our Fuhrer, Mike Cobb!

After the Russians inexplicably and perilously massed forces in Vladivostok, Emperor John Bennihito boldly declared war and attacked without hesitation. Zhukov is now hemmed in a small pocket around Vladivostok leaving Comrades Paul Derynck and Vesa Saarinen to ponder their next moves.

In Europe, Italy pre-empted a combined Franco-British invasion force by declaring war on the CW and doing moderate damage to its massive invasion fleet. France, as predicted, declared war on Italy during the 4th impulse and its bloodthirsty attacks are imminent. Sir Kenneth Crist and the mysterious French commander known ominously as "Lessor Minion" committed their entire fleets to this unprovoked attack on peace loving Italy (run by yours truly). I think we know their plan.

And, in a major surprise, Rumania denied Russian claims on Bessarabia and is now at war. What can Germany be thinking? Has Herr Cobb lost his mind? This move so completely befuddled the allies that President Michael Burke, in typically arrogant and condescending American fashion, magnanimously offered the "ruined" Germans to restart the game.

To date, there has been no response from Wolf's Lair.

This game is going in interesting and unusual directions. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!

Peter

Wow that's like a crazy first turn. Almost as nuts as Germany getting conq the first turn.. don't ask

Post #: 26
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 5/12/2005 5:29:56 PM   
mlees

Howdy!

I wish to lurk and observe games being played. (I do not wish to challenge anyone to a game, as I have only played versus myself only, and would not provide a good or enjoyable opponent...)

In reading the description you gave of the cyberboard system, it seems that moves are emailed to the members of the discussion group. But what software do you need to use to use/display these moves/emails? (I do not have a Yahoo account of any kind either. Problem?)

Thanks...

Post #: 27
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 5/12/2005 6:28:45 PM   
pak19652002

Hi. We'd be happy to have you observe the game. We actually have a pretty large observer corps--something over 25 people at last count.

To observe, there are several things you need to do:

1) Send your email information to pak19652002@yahoo.com
2) Join the Yahoo! Discussion Group used to distribute move files and manage the game (I will send you an invitation).
3) Load Cyberboard and the WiF "game box" onto your computer. There is an instruction manual in the files section of the discussion group.

We've all figured it out so you will too! Just send me your contact info and I'll help you get started.

That reminds me to send an update now that we've finished SO39. The craziness continues...

Peter

Peter

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 28
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 5/16/2005 8:07:31 PM   
Mziln

Are you using Option 49: (Hitler's war)

Post #: 29
RE: comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress - 5/19/2005 11:24:04 PM   
pak19652002

No Hitler's War. That was voted down pretty convincingly.

Peter

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> comments from Cyberboard WIF game in progress Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI