Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Probably a stupid question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Probably a stupid question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Probably a stupid question - 4/7/2005 3:47:28 PM   
Krikke100

Looked around for this but never found a good answer.

When I check a ships details, it has a 'mount' line. In the manual it sais that the 'mount' number is the maximum number of weapons that ship can carry. Now I seem to have ships that that have more weapons then they can carry (higher number in the 'Num' then in the 'Mount' collumn). Is the manual wrong, did I missunderstood or am I just not too bright?

Also, is there any way to see wether I can upgrade a certain ship (for better AA), so far I'm just guessing.

Thx for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Probably a stupid question - 4/7/2005 5:28:57 PM   
michaelm75au

From my understanding:
Mount (or turrets in editor) are the number of weapons that are grouped together in one mount/bank, while number is the total number of individual weapons.

eg for a device (4" gun), if the number is 6 and the mount is 2, this indicates that there are 3 turrets of 2 guns each.

eg for a device (21in torpedo tube), if the number is 4 and the mount is 4, this indicates that there are 4 mounts of 1 torpedo tube each.

Michael

(in reply to Krikke100)
Post #: 2
RE: Probably a stupid question - 4/8/2005 3:01:23 AM   
crsutton

Well, I think you can upgrade each ship about three times, but rarely are you in a position to do so. Usually, if you get one upgrade in a campaign you are doing pretty well. The important ships to upgrade as the Allies are some of the original in-theater DDs and CAs. A few of them have pretty pitiful AA armament at game start and should be sent home if possible. Problem is, that if you have a good aggressive opponent, you will have to weigh the upgrade against having some critical ships around when you need them.

Two of the Allied carriers (Hornet and Yorktown?) start with very poor AA armament as well. It is nice to upgrade them at least once. However, it is hard to send these critical ships home when you have the full IJN carrier force hovering around.

I am refering to campaigns 17 and 19- the most commonly played.

Allied ships are well worth upgrading when you can. Not just for AA but improved sonar and radar as well. Japanese ships only go home when damaged as the AA upgrades are not really worth the risk of not getting the ship back.

This is the great allied strength-historically as well as in game terms. You get a carrier TF with upgraded AA on all ships, some CLAAs and a fast BB or two and they pretty much become untouchable to all but the most massive air strike. Reguardless, they will shoot down so many IJN attackers as to negate any sucessess that the Japanes bombers can inflict.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Probably a stupid question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI