Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

cards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> cards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
cards - 4/26/2005 7:08:42 AM   
sabre100

this game looks interesting can somebody explain what the cards do I see in the screenshots? Also how many cards are there and is their a listing of what each one is called or does anywhere?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: cards - 4/26/2005 3:09:04 PM   
Radames

The cards are part of the strategic layer in the campaign game. Between battles, you can choose to spend points to recruit more troops, deploy units to the next battle, or get cards. The cards are playable during the battle themselves. The effect of a card is usually small, taken by itself, but can be very important if played at just the right moment.

Unused cards are carried forwards to future battles. There is a limit of three cards of each type that can be held at any one time.

They represent the great generalship of a Caesar or an Alexander. The computer opponent does not use cards against you. Some players use the cards heavily, and some don't use them at all. I use all three Health and Rally cards nearly every battle, and most the remaining cards to a lesser extent.

The description of the cards are in the documentation included with the game. I've put my own short descriptions here. I've left off some of the nuances, but here's a quick summary.

Combat Bonus

Barrage: Slinger to hit bonus
Berserk: Melee to hit bonus
Fire Arrows: Archer damage bonus
Poison: Melee damage bonus
Turtle Formation: Legion defense bonus

Morale and Health

Fear: Lowers enemy morale
Health: Replaces 2-3 steps of combat damage
Rally: Recovers one step of morale

Other

Initiative: Causes unit to move/attack first.
Scout: Temporarily removes fog of war from any area on the board.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 2
RE: cards - 4/28/2005 6:13:56 AM   
sabre100

thanks for the info

(in reply to Radames)
Post #: 3
RE: cards - 4/28/2005 6:24:48 AM   
Hanal

Is there a play balance issue if the AI does not use cards?

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 4
RE: cards - 4/28/2005 7:23:31 AM   
Radames

The scenarios are designed based on the existence of cards for the human player, so the cards are part of the balance.

Also, unless at the strategic level you have been able to buy everything, you've had to choose the cards over reinforcements. So that serves to balance out the play (more cards, less troops) while allowing you to make strategic choices.

Another way of asking your question, though, is that if Caesar is only able to fight fairly against the Gauls' superior numbers when using cards, what happens when its a multiplayer game and neither player is using cards? In that case, I believe the starting conditions have been rebalanced accordingly. That is, Caesar's opponent in multiplayer doesn't have the same setup as that same battle for the campaign.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: cards - 4/28/2005 4:23:09 PM   
Deride

quote:

ORIGINAL: Radames
Another way of asking your question, though, is that if Caesar is only able to fight fairly against the Gauls' superior numbers when using cards, what happens when its a multiplayer game and neither player is using cards? In that case, I believe the starting conditions have been rebalanced accordingly. That is, Caesar's opponent in multiplayer doesn't have the same setup as that same battle for the campaign.

Radames,

I can confirm that the mutliplayer setup is not the same as the single player setup. Otherwise, you are right, the human Gaul player would have a big advantage.

Deride

(in reply to Radames)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> cards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI