Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More help for the new guy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More help for the new guy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More help for the new guy - 4/21/2005 3:48:01 PM   
RUPD3658

10 year SP vet needs yet more help with SPwaw.

In previous versions of SP (1, 2, 3, 2WWII) the turn number and the total number of turns was displayed in the bottom right corner as:

Turn X of Y
Mission: Defend

I don't see this on the screen in SPwaw.

Is there a way to recall how many turns the scenario is without saving and going back to the main sceanario screen for a peek?

Also, my screen goes to funny colors at times during op fire. I was told that this might be a Directx version problem. How do I find out what version I am running? Please use simple terms and small words as I am computer illiterate.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

Post #: 1
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/21/2005 4:17:23 PM   
Poopyhead

There is a picture in the top right corner of the screen that gives you a typical view of the scenario terrain. If you left click on the picture, it gives you a text box with this info. As for Directx, there are several places on the web where you can download it for free. The installation is fairly routine, download the file, unzip and bingo. If you still have problems, post again. It might be your video card.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 2
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/21/2005 6:31:43 PM   
RUPD3658

Thanks. I will try that.

Like I said I have played SP in it's various forms for 10 years and thus have neglected to read the manual in favor of just jumping in and playing. I guess they changed some stuff that I should learn about.

It is nice to see the AI still has no idea how to deal with smoke. It will sent unit after unit into the smoke and not wonder why it no longer hears from it.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 3
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/24/2005 10:20:01 PM   
Paranormalix

You find all about DirectX quite easy: from Start-menu choose Run, write there dxdiag and hit enter. Works in every version of Windows. Latest DirectX You can get from here.

" One size fits all : .50 " "unknown"

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 4
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/25/2005 6:30:43 PM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

sorry for hijacking the thread, RUPID, but I've got the same DirectX problem as you; the only thing is that I've got the latest version installed. Another thing that happens frequently is that the game drops (not crashes) to desktop after being launched. The only way to get around this is to click like mad and hope you get a response from the menu. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

(in reply to Paranormalix)
Post #: 5
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/25/2005 10:41:57 PM   
IBTyrone

I'm assuming you're getting to the game from the menu. There is a known problem (although I forget what it is offhand) accessing the game from the menu. I avoid the problem by using the Quick Start option under the start menu which takes you straight to the game. Hope this helps.

(in reply to ahmedvonmuneeb)
Post #: 6
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/26/2005 11:01:02 PM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

It is nice to see the AI still has no idea how to deal with smoke. It will sent unit after unit into the smoke and not wonder why it no longer hears from it.

That seems to be more realistic than the "eye of god" vision of the human player.

Ref: Bloody Battle for Tilly" by Ken Tout

Chapter 7: Opertaion TOTALIZE

Quote: The Regimental Navigator could see nothing in the thick haze and very soon ditched itself in a bomb crater. The two reserve navigators, following behind him,tried to avoid this crater and went into another...............From this point.......all one saw were shadowy outlines of tanks as they loomed up out of the fog and disappeared again into the gloom. The confusion was indescribable"

Quote: Out troop was lined up in order: Troop Officer, 1st Sergeant, Artillery Officer, myself and Sgt Munn.............At this time trouble started. A tank was hit and took fire. .........I found out it was our troop officer's tank that was hit. Confusion set in. The troop officer gone, The troop sergeant somewhere away in the dust, Sgt Munn and me alone. After several hours the artillery officer in front of me had lost contact with the tank in front and came back to ask if I would take the lead and he fell in behind Sgt Munn. In a short time we lost him. Don't know to this day where he got to!

Quote: Capt Leonard Harvey, riding in a bren carrier.........found itself driving through Rocquancourt..........it was even darker in the narrow streets. Harvey suddenly sensed a wall on his left and yelled "Keep right, you're going to hit the wall on your left". The driver yelled back, "We can't be scraping the wall on our left because we are scraping the wall on our right" ...........Harvey put out his hand to touch the wall and ........he felt not cold rough stone but warm smooth metal.......his astonishment turned to horror as brief light from a shell flash focused on the regulation German cross insignia on the side of a big panzer. Obviously the Germans were in no better state of awareness than Harvey.

If this is typical of confusion in smoke, dust or darkness, and troop members have no idea where their troop is, then I doubt that the battalion commander knows any better.

btw, it's a very good read!

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 7
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/27/2005 2:43:28 PM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

I do use the quick start option. I've found that moving the mouse noe and then keeps everything okay.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 8
RE: More help for the new guy - 4/27/2005 6:00:20 PM   
IBTyrone

Okay, thanks for the update. It's interesting that it drops out like that, but I'm glad you've found a workaround.

(in reply to ahmedvonmuneeb)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> More help for the new guy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI