Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Middle East Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Middle East Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Middle East Campaign - 4/25/2005 6:15:46 PM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

Hello, all,

I remember reading about a Steel Panthers campaign set in the Cold War-era Middle East intended to be played as the Syrians. The thing is, I can't recall with any degree of accuracy if it was old Steel Panthers or SP WaW. Since I haven't seen any threads about the topic here I'm thinking it was the former.

The topic interests me a lot; and I would like to see scenarios based on Arab-Israeli encounters in that tragic part of the world. The sad thing is that I have absolutely no experience making maps and developing SP scenarios. My interest had so far been limited to playing this great game. I DO have xp with modding HoI2, however; but I don't think that can be useful.

I was hoping one could start as either an Egyptian, Syrian or Israeli comand; and take it through all three wars in just one campaign (just a thought, we could also have three separate campaigns); upgrades would be required before the start of each major era and that could be catered to. I think the tank company level would suit it best while allowing for infantry AUX of upto a battalion in strength.

One thing I 'can' do is find accounts of battles and OOB's; so as to make it possible to actually make the campaign; the more important task of making the maps and configuring everything I cannot do.

I hope this is interesting to some experienced modders, and that they'll tolerate my measly contribution.

Regards,

Muneeb Ahmed
Post #: 1
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/25/2005 7:33:06 PM   
Goblin

My guess is an older version of SP (3 maybe?) or SP:MBT from the CAMO group.

Goblin

(in reply to ahmedvonmuneeb)
Post #: 2
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/26/2005 6:01:31 PM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

So you're not up for making it for WaW? I guess that's okay. The only problem is, how do I get MBT or SP 3 in a place like Pakistan? I only got WaW 7.0 on a visit to the US, long, long ago.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/26/2005 7:06:16 PM   
XB12R64

There was such a campaign in Steel Panthers 2, Modern Mayhaim.

It came out in the mid-90's and covered the period of Korea to the 1st Gulf war, with an additional campaign set in the late 90's (Ukraine against Russia). The scale and style was the same as those of the original SP1, thus different than SP3. It was a DOS based game, with neat features, like low flying (nap of the earth), high altitude flying, but was limited with regards to op fire. There was a Vietnam campaign included also, as well as scenarios in Africa.

Post #: 4
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/26/2005 11:03:28 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ahmedvonmuneeb

So you're not up for making it for WaW? I guess that's okay. The only problem is, how do I get MBT or SP 3 in a place like Pakistan? I only got WaW 7.0 on a visit to the US, long, long ago.

It would be difficult. The nationalities involved are not in the game, and the games tech level only goes as far as 1949. SPMBT is a free download, if that helps. A Windows version of it is coming out this year (it is a DOS game, and difficult to make run on XP). Didn't realize you were in Pakistan either. Thats a tough one, unless you can d/l it.

Goblin

Post #: 5
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/27/2005 2:40:52 PM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

Thanks for that bit about MBT being a free download. I've got a T1 at College so that shouldn't be a problem. Any idea where to look? Could you post a link?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/28/2005 12:31:44 AM   
Goblin

The SPCamo group has it.

http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo-4.htm

Incidently, they also have SPWW2 IIRC - also a free download.

Goblin

Post #: 7
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/28/2005 9:02:55 AM   
ahmedvonmuneeb

You're right. I've got both. Thank you. I tried the demo for MBT (havent been home since the games were downloaded) and found that it didn't work well under xp. Can I get around that?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/28/2005 1:28:52 PM   
Goblin

There are fixes, poted at their site, I believe. I never got it to work, but others have. They are supposed to upgrade both of those games to Windows this year. One in the spring and one in the fall.

Goblin

Post #: 9
RE: Middle East Campaign - 4/29/2005 6:05:47 AM   
DoubleDeuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: ahmedvonmuneeb

I tried the demo for MBT (havent been home since the games were downloaded) and found that it didn't work well under xp. Can I get around that?

Probably not. It seems to be a hit or miss under XP. Some it'll work for, some it won't. You mentioned it does not work well on your PC. What issues are you having?

< Message edited by Double Deuce -- 4/29/2005 6:08:36 AM >

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Middle East Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI