Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question Re Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Question Re Orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question Re Orders - 5/8/2005 4:47:45 PM   
DBeves

Can someone please explain the Counter Charge Order ie whats the difference between this and defend.
The manual vaguely states there are bonuses and penalties but not what they are. What is difference between this and a defend order. Are the benefits different for infantry and cavalry. Also the same with a charge order - I know there are benefits to using a charge order in the first round of combat - but the manual seems to suggest there are penalties in the rounds of combat following the first round of combat . It would seem to suggest (so long as its straight ahead of course) you would always use a charge order instead of a melee order.
Thought the manual could have done witha bitmore detail onthe orders bit as some of it needs clarifying I think.
Or maybe I just didnt get it ...
Great Game ..
Post #: 1
RE: Question Re Orders - 5/8/2005 6:34:41 PM   
sol_invictus

You know, after playing two battles, I don't think I have ever used a melee or a countercharge order.

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 2
RE: Question Re Orders - 5/9/2005 2:48:22 AM   
CamelCity

Charging is not always as good as the regular melee attack.

Cavalry charging into a foot unit armed with spears is a bad thing: -4 Roll modifier! There is not really a "penalty" in the subsequent phases of the charge attack; the attack simply reverts to a regular melee attack, where any bonuses or penalties for that type of attack would apply.

The way I read the counter-charge bonus is that the counter-charging unit receives the charging bonuses the first phase it defends an attack, and reverts to regular defend after that. The charge modifiers determined by weapon type: +2 for spearmen, +1 for swordsmen or axemen.

So a unit armed with spears in a counter-charge would, on the first phase it is attacked, receive a +2 bonus to its own roll. The next phase it is attacked, the unit reverts to regular defend, so it receives no bonus to its roll, and the attacker would receive a -1 to its roll (for the defender's "defend" posture).

Table 1.0 in the appendix lists the modifiers.

Again, this is just my understanding of the orders & roll modifiers; if I've got it wrong, I'm sure the nice folks at Koios who read the board will correct me!

(in reply to DBeves)
Post #: 3
RE: Question Re Orders - 5/10/2005 3:39:24 AM   
Budge4

Sounds good to me CamelCity, havent actually used counter-charge myself either but deffinately will try using it now.

Budge

(in reply to CamelCity)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Question Re Orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI