Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM, unfair advantage to player 1??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM, unfair advantage to player 1?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM, unfair advantage to player 1?? - 5/23/2005 6:14:30 PM   
Major_Johnson

Gentlemen,
I've been playing PBEM's for quite some time. Years even! It used to be that we would just pick a scenario and play it. Then my opponent decided on figuring out how to start a battle from scratch so that we could pick and deploy our units of a map of our (or his) choosing. Since I have never had the motivation to go through the growing pains that he has gone through to learn those steps, growing pains to which he is still enduring. (I can't tell you how many times I've had to repick and deploy my units (20,000 points worth!!!). I always play the Allies and he is always the Axis, typically the Germans. And with the new version 8.3 he has yet to get even a moderate victory on me. And even with that said I have recently found out a little cheat advantage he has by starting the PBEM. It goes like this. He starts by picking the map, year, who's who, points allowed, picks his units and then sends the files to me. I then pick my units and deploy and set any openning bombardment options and send the files back to him. This is where the advantage comes in that I just found out about. During his deployment he can see my forces depending on where he places his guys. Well he takes great pains to try hexes all over his side of the map to spot where my units are positioned and then he deploys his guys for the best ambush scenario and even worse, sets an opening artillery barrage that is just killer to say the least. Now I hardly think this is a fair advantage. Even still I manage to beat his pansy ass everytime. But this map we are using now is the Monte Cassino map, and due to the terrain, and has history shows, the Germans had an advantage from the get go.

Another thing I noticed was the new rule of only being able to use heavy bombers during the deployment of the units before a battle. Now what good does it do to set a bombing run on an empty map?? I can understand that heavy bombers shouldn't have the same delay as close ground support fighters and fighter-bombers, but they should be available like maybe with a full turn delay. Maybe a thought for a patch in the future.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM, unfair advantage to player 1?? - 5/24/2005 12:11:29 AM   
Major Destruction

When setting up a battle Player 1 should build the map or set the visibilty, taking into account the distance between the deployment lines

If you build a map and place the deployment lines too close together, yes this does give you an unfair advantage.

You can get around this by setting the map option to Custm:Random Start.

Or Player 1 could go to the added trouble of resetting the start lines in the custom map so that he does not have an advantage.
Also, in a meeting engagement, the victory flags should be farther from the start line for Player 1 than for Player 2

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> PBEM, unfair advantage to player 1?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI