Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Uniforms??????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: Uniforms?????? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/28/2005 5:58:37 PM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzeh

I don't mind bad uniforms, as this really isn't the type of game that needs 'em. I can understand why people would want accurate uniforms in a 3d tactical game, but for symbolic units, the icon doesn't really matter as long as it is descriptive enough to tell me what sort of unit there is.

Many NATO symbols have Napoleonic roots, so it makes perfect sense to use them.

Well said!

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 121
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/28/2005 11:50:19 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

..........the icon doesn't really matter as long as it is descriptive enough to tell me what sort of unit there is.

Panzeh,

I agree totally, even though NATO symbols are exactly what I am hoping for.

They're what I've grown up with I find them to be very easy to use.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 122
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/29/2005 3:50:29 PM   
2gaulle

quote:

I agree totally, even though NATO symbols are exactly what I am hoping for.

but NATO symbols are not good for marketing purpose.
that why I'm so upset by this project, all it's done for marketing purpose

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 123
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/29/2005 5:41:31 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

but NATO symbols are not good for marketing purpose.
that why I'm so upset by this project, all it's done for marketing purpose

I understand where you are coming from 2gaulle. I really do, but there has to be some sort of compromise. This is a small company and they have to pay the bills and their employees -somehow. It really isn't so much of a mass marketing approach. There does appear to be a pretty good approach in other important areas that looks to me to be a labor of love.

Don't forget that the option to mod things looks like a very good possibility here. It let's the game developer off of the hook, so to speak.

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed and hope for the best. Ok?

Rick

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 124
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/29/2005 6:45:19 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

I've no doubt that many of these 'labor of love' developers would sure like to make the money that these 'big boys' make from their labor of "indifference"....

I can also see why so many of these 'grog-centric' game developers have gone out of business. No matter what they do, no matter how they try to please, some pain in the ass grog will find something, anything to complain about. A game could play quite well, be representative of an historical time period being represented, but have something as pointless to the gameplay (not game presentation, but gameplay) as 20 nails to the sole of a boot as opposed to 21 and the whiners and complainers will come out of the woodwork. Giving bad press to an already low margin genre which affects sales.

It's one thing to complain about a gameplay issue, such as a musket firing 60 rounds per minute. This would be a problem with gameplay as it would change the nature of musket and ball warfare.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 125
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/29/2005 9:19:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Guys,

We do not claim that every game is for everyone. Please realize that the uniforms are most important as playing pieces and in that they have to be easily distinguishable. For most players, when looking at the map the current soldiers/cavalry/artillery are easily distinguishable, with or without a deep knowledge of the Napoleonic period. I think Napoleonic Era fans will really enjoy this game - including the look and the atmosphere - despite the symbolic/representative rather than precise uniforms on the map figures. Realize also that these comments came up very late in development and you can't change direction much when you're 900 miles into a 1000 mile journey.

The game design as a whole models a great deal of era detail and flavor very well and both the quick and tactical combats are enjoyable. The various experts make running your nation easy, you can do as much or as little as you want. Finally, multiplayer capability... there's a lot to like about this game and I would suggest that the uniform question has been asked, answered and at this point beaten to death.

As we near completion on Crown of Glory, I'd love to hear your questions on other parts of the game along with any other pre and post-release suggestions and ideas.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 126
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/29/2005 11:34:52 PM   
Le Tondu

< Message edited by Le Tondu -- 5/30/2005 1:14:04 AM >

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 127
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/30/2005 2:34:26 AM   
sol_invictus

All my questions have been answered to my satisfaction and this makes CoG an easy buy for me. I am much more interested in the gameplay and whether CoG captures the feel of the Napoleonic Era than if the uniforms on every single figure is completely accurate for the entire period. Sure, I would love for every aspect of the game to be 100% accurate, but we all should realize that some things just have to slide a bit. If CoG captures the feel of the period, the Combat and Diplomatic AI provides a good challenge, and the game is fun to play, I think CoG will have achieved a remarkable feat.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 128
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/30/2005 5:47:50 AM   
wayne19563

I want to see an AAR with screen captures

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 129
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/30/2005 7:38:30 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

All my questions have been answered to my satisfaction and this makes CoG an easy buy for me. I am much more interested in the gameplay and whether CoG captures the feel of the Napoleonic Era than if the uniforms on every single figure is completely accurate for the entire period. Sure, I would love for every aspect of the game to be 100% accurate, but we all should realize that some things just have to slide a bit. If CoG captures the feel of the period, the Combat and Diplomatic AI provides a good challenge, and the game is fun to play, I think CoG will have achieved a remarkable feat.

Post #: 130
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/30/2005 5:07:30 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

I'm with you.

Vive l'Empereur!

Post #: 131
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/30/2005 5:44:42 PM   
ASHBERY76

Matrix underestimate the power of having AAR's to help promote games.We need one.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 132
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/31/2005 2:34:12 AM   
Mr. Z

Look for one of these later this week...

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 133
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/31/2005 2:49:56 AM   
sol_invictus

Excellent!

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 134
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/31/2005 12:13:49 PM   
ffak

This epaulettes'color chit-chat on a europe-scale strategy game is pretty funny isn't it?

A boulet et à mitraille!
http://campaigns-france.org

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 135
RE: Uniforms?????? - 5/31/2005 6:47:02 PM   
TheHellPatrol

All this talk of uniforms etc. concerning this upcoming apparent gem of a wargame reminds me of my Tactics II days where it was only Red vs. Blue...I think we are going in the right direction and, IMO, the "uniform" is a non-issue. Something has to give but in no means are we being shortchanged when it comes to a wargame with 3-D units...when is the "chit" gonna stop?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to ffak)
Post #: 136
uniforms - 5/31/2005 8:14:25 PM   
ericbabe

We have taken the uniform concerns to heart. Mr Barish has come up with a sketch for a system that would allow for customizable color-replacing uniforms using 6 different colors on 14 different uniform templates that he believes represents most of the uniforms of the period. The notion is that players could pop-open a sort of "dress your soldiers" screen and could customize the look of each individual unit under his control.

The system would also allow for customizable heads (different helmets). This is all still quite in the prototype stage, so we would only consider it for a sequel product, or in an expansion to COG. Also, as such a thing would involve a not-small amount of work, I would like to get a better sense of the demand customizable uniforms might have among players relative to other ways in which we might improve the game: for instance, would players rather have customizable uniforms, or be able to play naval actions using detailed-level rules?

Eric

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 137
RE: uniforms - 5/31/2005 8:36:14 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe
would players rather have customizable uniforms, or be able to play naval actions using detailed-level rules?

Eric

That sentence alone is a powerful reminder that in life, and in war, we must choose our battles carefully.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 138
RE: uniforms - 5/31/2005 8:58:24 PM   
CushVA

quote:

would players rather have customizable uniforms, or be able to play naval actions using detailed-level rules?

Naval Actions, gameplay is more important to me.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 139
RE: uniforms - 5/31/2005 10:52:20 PM   
Le Tondu

quote:

We have taken the uniform concerns to heart. Mr Barish has come up with a sketch for a system that would allow for customizable color-replacing uniforms using 6 different colors on 14 different uniform templates that he believes represents most of the uniforms of the period. The notion is that players could pop-open a sort of "dress your soldiers" screen and could customize the look of each individual unit under his control.

The system would also allow for customizable heads (different helmets). This is all still quite in the prototype stage, so we would only consider it for a sequel product, or in an expansion to COG. Also, as such a thing would involve a not-small amount of work, I would like to get a better sense of the demand customizable uniforms might have among players relative to other ways in which we might improve the game: for instance, would players rather have customizable uniforms, or be able to play naval actions using detailed-level rules?

Eric

Eric,

Isn't there a third option?

It would entail having the detailed naval actions (great idea), simply doing nothing with the uniform thing and then simply allowing mods. To me, that brings even more detail to a wonderful game with an added bonus -the option to change things as the gamer would like it. Why go through all that work on the uniform thing? We don't need any fancy mod utility. Let the gamers come up with the mods. Odds are that someone with a lot of time will come up with something that everyone could live with if they didn't like how it was when the game is released.

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 140
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 3:19:02 AM   
sol_invictus

Go naval, let these wacky uniform fanatics do the mods for free; don't waste your valuable time on it. I will certainly appreciate and use all the beautiful work done by the aforementioned wacky uniform fanatics, so when the game is released get cracking gents. Just don't pull a CA with RTW and release a half finished product and expect modders to finish your work. I know you won't do that to us. Le Tondu is just begging to do the work.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 141
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 3:37:44 AM   
ericbabe

For the record, I didn't mean to pit detailed naval combat against the uniforms per se, I was merely trying to give an example of the sort of trade-offs need to be made.

Eric

Post #: 142
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 3:53:10 AM   
sol_invictus

Sure, I'm just being silly. The anticipation is making my brain go squishy.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 143
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 8:40:29 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Eric

That´s is not detailed enough. I want to also call the number of uniform buttons and boot nails. Oh yes and the lenght of the moustache, which is extremly important for Napoleons Guards.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 144
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 6:29:53 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

It would entail having the detailed naval actions (great idea), simply doing nothing with the uniform thing and then simply allowing mods. To me, that brings even more detail to a wonderful game with an added bonus -the option to change things as the gamer would like it. Why go through all that work on the uniform thing? We don't need any fancy mod utility.

All our graphics and alpha channels are layed out in straightforward cells in .pcx files that are easily accessible. So it will be possible to modify any graphic in the game.

The only graphical element that is not easily accessible, I believe, involves the graphics that specify the regions of the map. Players can draw a new map, but the province shapes on it are not easily modifiable absent some serious programming work.

Eric

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 145
RE: uniforms - 6/1/2005 11:44:40 PM   
wayne19563

quote:

Eric

Age of rifles had this feature

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 146
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 12:01:47 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

Eric

That´s is not detailed enough. I want to also call the number of uniform buttons and boot nails. Oh yes and the lenght of the moustache, which is extremly important for Napoleons Guards.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 147
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 12:02:40 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

Eric

My vote is for the detailed naval rules....

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 148
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 12:06:55 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

Go naval, let these wacky uniform fanatics do the mods for free; don't waste your valuable time on it. I will certainly appreciate and use all the beautiful work done by the aforementioned wacky uniform fanatics, so when the game is released get cracking gents. Just don't pull a CA with RTW and release a half finished product and expect modders to finish your work. I know you won't do that to us. Le Tondu is just begging to do the work.

Exactly....

More time spent on gameplay, less on uniforms please.

Post #: 149
RE: uniforms - 6/3/2005 4:01:29 PM   
steveh11Matrix

Uniforms, shmuniforms, I want my Navy!!!

Seriously, Gameplay comes first, last and always. The uniforms should only matter if they improve the gameplay - and provided I can tell (by mouseover, for example) what a particular unit is, and my Frenchmen have blue tunics while my Englishmen have red ones, I couldn't care less. So, and especially if it interferes with the Naval expansions, I'd give the uniform stuff a low priority. Nice for a later expansion, not a requirement at all.

My £0.02, worth about half...

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> RE: Uniforms?????? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI