Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things wot I have learned

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Things wot I have learned Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things wot I have learned - 6/2/2005 5:53:48 PM   
CGSailor

For the last several months I've been learning the UV system, mostly using the long Guadalcanal scenario (08/42 to 12/43). Thought I'd share some of my headaches.

My biggest headache was figuring out how to set up a Transport TF for an invasion. It took me a while to figure out that I couldn't just add up the load cost, and then provide ships with the same total of capacity. A few days ago I found in the manual that one ship will load only one unit; that is an AP with capacity 3000 will not load two battalions of 1200 each. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many times I left my Seabees on the pier in Luganville because of this. [I'm not saying this is a design fault, just describing what a slow learner I am.]

I also discovered that if you load the 7th CB's onto a ship, that ship will be the one to be hit when the Japanese send airstrikes down the Slot. The Japanese seem to really have it in for Luther Billis.

I've also begun learning bad habits from the AI. I've been able to split off two CV's and spend two days launching strikes against shipping in the Shortlands while the AI sends the Betties down to attack the transports in Lunga and Tulagi. I know I wouldn't get away with that against a human player.

I've also had to make a yellow sticky note to put on my monitor to remind me to give my subs orders on the first day. I get so absorbed in the air and surface units that I'm always forgetting the subs.

UV is easily the most interesting and immersive games I've ever played, but the learning curve is steep. After about five months tinkering with this game, I only now feel that I'm getting a good grasp of the mechanics. UV has also reawakened the interest I had in the Solomons campaign when I was a teen (I'm now 49).

By the way, thanks to all for reading and responding to my newbie posts.
Post #: 1
RE: Things wot I have learned - 6/3/2005 11:14:39 AM   
jeffs

Now all you need are a few PBEM games to really torture you!

(in reply to CGSailor)
Post #: 2
RE: Things wot I have learned - 6/3/2005 11:39:25 PM   
crsutton

Now it is time to find a human opponent. Green Hell is a great scenario for head to head play.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to CGSailor)
Post #: 3
RE: Things wot I have learned - 6/6/2005 6:01:10 PM   
CGSailor

I don't seem to have learned much, as it happens. For the first time I was able to configure a landing force pretty much as I wanted, and to seize Lunga and Tulagi. Parts of the 2nd Marines and 105 Base Force still got left behind, though.

In another thread folks commented that the AI plays like a ten year old. I have found that I can be whupped by a ten year old, even when they send their CV's down the slot. After several days of carrier air strikes on the Shortlands, I got intel that the Japanese carriers were nearby. Pulled back to Guadalcanal, but next turn, to my horror, a CVTF of Zuikaku, Shokaku and Ryuho were within 4 hexes of my carriers. Lots of CV acft flew, but minimal impact, I think due to fatigue after all those strikes in Shortlands. I also didn't tweak the squadron settings very carefully. Saratoga sunk, Enterprise 60+ systems, 50+ floatation, limping back to port. I knew things were heading south when aircraft started diverting to Lunga.

I also got whomped in a surface action. I'd built a large SCTF by merging BB NC with bombardment and SC task forces off Lunga, and waited for the Japanese to show up. In one night's action NC took system damage of 20+, so I sent her back to port, leaving the cruisers and destroyers. In a night action of about even numbers I lost about six CA's and a similar number of DD's. It was pretty ugly.

Among the things I learned were not to exhaust the CV aircrew if there is even a chance of having to engage the Japanese carriers. Not sure what I learned from the surface action except that perhaps I should have left the BB in place, even with the flotation and systems damage. Or should I have pulled out the entire TF after the first action.

That was all pretty gruesome, but I think I'll keep plugging away, work my way through a bit more of this scenario before wasting anybody else's time head to head.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Things wot I have learned - 6/6/2005 9:28:08 PM   
Ursa MAior

For me it was a big surprise that I could not replicate the scen described in the manual, to be precise with the japanes although I did everything as written. I simply could not intercept incoming bombardment missiions. I was enlarging Lunga and from time to time an allied bombardment tf showed up. But even if I set my tf to react to enemy, I was surprised in a night action and got demolished many times ( I know that reload suxx, but was deeply disappointed when lost three CA and two CL in one ction without any allied loss. Savo island someone?). So I mined Lunga to the neck, put some 3 or 4 CD units (the biggest ones) there and was very satisfied withn the results. But I missed the battles of Savo Island, Guadalcanal etc.

(in reply to CGSailor)
Post #: 5
RE: Things wot I have learned - 6/6/2005 10:11:02 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: CGSailor

I don't seem to have learned much, as it happens. For the first time I was able to configure a landing force pretty much as I wanted, and to seize Lunga and Tulagi. Parts of the 2nd Marines and 105 Base Force still got left behind, though.

Check the load cost when you're loading your troops....and keep in mind only one unit per ship..
My general rule is that an entire Jap division takes eighteen 2000 capacity AP to load.
quote:

In another thread folks commented that the AI plays like a ten year old. I have found that I can be whupped by a ten year old, even when they send their CV's down the slot. After several days of carrier air strikes on the Shortlands, I got intel that the Japanese carriers were nearby. Pulled back to Guadalcanal, but next turn, to my horror, a CVTF of Zuikaku, Shokaku and Ryuho were within 4 hexes of my carriers. Lots of CV acft flew, but minimal impact, I think due to fatigue after all those strikes in Shortlands. I also didn't tweak the squadron settings very carefully. Saratoga sunk, Enterprise 60+ systems, 50+ floatation, limping back to port. I knew things were heading south when aircraft started diverting to Lunga.

In early '42 scenarios, the Jap aircrews are highly trained and experienced...most Val and Kate pilots are in the 90s!
You should never tangle with Jap CVs until you have a formidable CV TF of your own...
quote:

I also got whomped in a surface action. I'd built a large SCTF by merging BB NC with bombardment and SC task forces off Lunga, and waited for the Japanese to show up. In one night's action NC took system damage of 20+, so I sent her back to port, leaving the cruisers and destroyers. In a night action of about even numbers I lost about six CA's and a similar number of DD's. It was pretty ugly.

BBs are pretty much useless for night action....I've rarely seen them hit anything...
Also know the Japs have the advantage in night duels early in the war....
quote:

Among the things I learned were not to exhaust the CV aircrew if there is even a chance of having to engage the Japanese carriers. Not sure what I learned from the surface action except that perhaps I should have left the BB in place, even with the flotation and systems damage. Or should I have pulled out the entire TF after the first action.

That was all pretty gruesome, but I think I'll keep plugging away, work my way through a bit more of this scenario before wasting anybody else's time head to head.

The game does take awhile to learn all the bells and whistles...I've been playing over a year and still learn new things from time to time...

Hang in there!

Chad

(in reply to CGSailor)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Things wot I have learned Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI