Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Training up aircrews. Whats best?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Training up aircrews. Whats best? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 12:26:18 AM   
crsutton

My esteemed email opponent says that recon is the best way to train up inexperienced pilots. I don't think so and tout ASW and naval search. Help us out here. Which is better?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 12:28:24 AM   
sfbaytf

If you're playing as Japan send them off to China.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 12:43:19 AM   
doktorblood

Neither ... the best way is to bomb some undefended base or land units that have no AA ...like the Japs or Chinese. Even fighters can be leveled up pretty quick this way.

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 3
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 9:47:45 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktorblood

Neither ... the best way is to bomb some undefended base or land units that have no AA ...like the Japs or Chinese. Even fighters can be leveled up pretty quick this way.

Yeah, thatīs the best way in my opinion. I rotate my daitais out regularly and let them bomb undefended ports and airfields at close range and nearly always have high experienced daitais.

(in reply to doktorblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 3:55:47 PM   
Sardaukar

Check my topic about "Weird but effective way to train bombers"

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 5
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 4:38:00 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktorblood

the best way is to bomb some undefended base ...

greetings...
IIRC, it was stated that in 1.5 bombing of undefended bases will be (greatly) tweaked. Did you guys have notice this, i have no clue because i did not assign my recruits to attack undefended bases in 1.5 (only defended bases).

(in reply to doktorblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 4:41:40 PM   
castor troy

No I havenīt noticed this. My pilots are doing a good job in training with bombing undefended bases. If they wanted to decrease it it think thatīs just nonsense. First they donīt give us a possibility to really train (forget about the training order) our pilots and then they want to decrease it? If Japan had this amount of fuel and supplies like I have whilst playing as Japanese they wouldīnīt have problems in training their pilots.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 7
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 4:48:05 PM   
pauk

Ok, but doesnt seems wierd when japanese recruits come to 70 or 80 exp level with ground attacks on undefended bases????

My impression (i could be wrong, of course) is that air kills doesn't raise exp level significant. Dont ask me for numbers because it is impossible to keep track in the group of 27 pilots for every single pilot.

I suspect that ground attack is nearly effecient as air to air fight (kills), which just doesn't seems right.

Post #: 8
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 5:19:50 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

Ok, but doesnt seems wierd when japanese recruits come to 70 or 80 exp level with ground attacks on undefended bases????

My impression (i could be wrong, of course) is that air kills doesn't raise exp level significant. Dont ask me for numbers because it is impossible to keep track in the group of 27 pilots for every single pilot.

I suspect that ground attack is nearly effecient as air to air fight (kills), which just doesn't seems right.

Donīt have a problem with my bombers doing attacks with real ammunition. How would you train your bomber crews? Sending them to a base with 100 fighters and let them do some airfights?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 9
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 5:50:41 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Donīt have a problem with my bombers doing attacks with real ammunition. How would you train your bomber crews? Sending them to a base with 100 fighters and let them do some airfights?

look, i'm not arguing that training program/options are suitable for the game. When we compare training options (stay down - for 20-30 exp pilots; training level, CAP, naval search, recon, ASW flight mission) with speed of the operations (massive air attacks, massive A2A battles=massive loses, etc) it is certain that training options are inadequate (too slow).

So, we agree here. I just think that is unacceptable to have such disparity (???) in gaining experience (A2A combat vs. attack empty base).

Next, japan have problems with exp. pilots. We all know that. I'm using "advanced" training program too, i'm not different than you are guys. But, I always attack targets (LCU units) and not undefended bases. Where? PI, defeated and isolated duch units in DEI, China etc....

And i using fighters, dive and LBA bombers...

Anyway, i'm not attacking here anybody i'm just trying to exchange thoughts with other people here.

Post #: 10
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/7/2005 6:45:46 PM   
pfnognoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

What Pauk is saying and I agree completely is that it is nonsense that Fighters on ground attack missions give you much more experiance with much less losses than A2A battles aginst enemy fighters.

Bombers are another story and nobody expects them to raise exp. in a dogfight

When all this training starts to get real funny is when Japan deliberately leaves Filipino infantry on those two smaller islands just so it can train up its fighter pilots.

We need a proper training mission and an increase in exp gain after a A2A victory.

I know it is not realistic to expect that improvemtn, but every once in a while I like to post it on the forum just in case.

Post #: 11
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/9/2005 9:21:14 PM   
Lord_Calidor

It's a matter of starting expirience - well trained units, with 70+ exp won't gain as much exp as fresh unit in 30-50 exp range. So, you usually won't send untrained squadrons in hot areas, doing A2A or ground combat, instead, you send well trained ones. However, they still suffer some combat and operational losses and get replacement pilots with lower exp. So it's kinda endless loop - they see more combat, but due to losses and already high exp, average exp gain is lower.

On the other side, setting some fresh, untrained squadrons on attacking defensless LCUs or bases doesn't incur such losses, and they exp is low in the first place, so it doesn't take much to raise it.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to pfnognoff)
Post #: 12
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/9/2005 11:50:36 PM   
Knavey

What would be best is if the engine would allow you to dispand a LCU once it is no longer viable.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 13
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/10/2005 2:09:49 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: pfnognoff

What Pauk is saying and I agree completely is that it is nonsense that Fighters on ground attack missions give you much more experiance with much less losses than A2A battles aginst enemy fighters.

My view is that much of this game (heck, any game) is an abstraction. My fighters might be set to "ground attack" or "airfield attack" as a mission in the game engine, but what I'm really doing is spending supply and time, and taking some training attrition; and they could just as easily be doing mock A2A practice as dropping bombs.

Not arguing this is "right", just offering a different way to look at it.

(in reply to pfnognoff)
Post #: 14
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/10/2005 3:56:50 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

This is exactly how I look at this little subsystem. The only problem that I have with it is that it is an unrealistic drain on Allied supply in China. I reallly wish there was a toggle to switch off repairs to worthless airbases!

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 15
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/10/2005 4:22:15 AM   
Griswel

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

My view is that much of this game (heck, any game) is an abstraction. My fighters might be set to "ground attack" or "airfield attack" as a mission in the game engine, but what I'm really doing is spending supply and time, and taking some training attrition; and they could just as easily be doing mock A2A practice as dropping bombs.

Yup. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Of course, I look at it as guys getting drunk and buzzing farmers, pretending to be aliens, but that's just me.

When will the citizens of free countries learn to stop supporting dictators?

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 16
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/10/2005 7:20:06 PM   
Hornblower

I'm in March'43 in my game. I find for the USN a good way of training them up is to send a 3 CV/CVL group everyso often to the Marshalls to hit a Japanese base. I attach a bombardment TF to them for good messure. Granted I take a few shell hits, but trains up the crews pretty well. Also softens them up for the enevitable assult.

(in reply to Griswel)
Post #: 17
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/10/2005 10:13:29 PM   
madflava13

[/quote]

This is exactly how I look at this little subsystem. The only problem that I have with it is that it is an unrealistic drain on Allied supply in China. I reallly wish there was a toggle to switch off repairs to worthless airbases!
[/quote]

I am behind you on this one 100%... Why repair a place you never plan on using as an airbase??

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 18
RE: Training up aircrews. Whats best? - 6/11/2005 8:15:34 AM   
bradfordkay

"IIRC, it was stated that in 1.5 bombing of undefended bases will be (greatly) tweaked. Did you guys have notice this, i have no clue because i did not assign my recruits to attack undefended bases in 1.5 (only defended bases)."

I just checked the "What's New" file and there is no mention of this. It is possible that you are thinking about v1.4 where the "accuracy of level bomber attacks on cities, ports and airfields has been dramatically reduced."

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Training up aircrews. Whats best? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI