Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My 1.03 woes continue...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> My 1.03 woes continue... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/11/2005 5:42:09 AM   
Zen

I followed the advice from the other thread and did a clean install of 1.03 and killed all other unnecessary processes before running FPG.

In a nutshell, it didn't help.

Here is what I learned (sorry if this is a little unorganized, but so are my FPG problems):

-- The key commands for various overlays (such as L for LOS) work fine until I press P for Show Path. Not only does the path not show, but pressing an overlay key (again, such as L) no longer works. Accessing an overlay using a right-click will still work, although not all overlays are available that way. I *think* the same problem occurs if I press W, as well as P. I am too tired to test any more tonight.

-- I had one instance where the right-click menu stopped working too. I could still give orders by left-clicking on the menu in the lower-right corner.

-- Sometime around the third turn resolution, the action starts slowing, slowing, slowing until it finally grinds to a halt after about 10-15 seconds. If I wait too long to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of FPG, then I get a hard freeze.

-- If I turn on the red firing line between attacker and target, not only do I not see the line, but in the latest scenario my direct firing units did not seem to be attacking when they clearly should have been (they were in plain LOS, not moving, with ammo, and were firing fine the turn before when I had the red line turned off). I say "seem to" since I guess it is possible the animation just wasn't playing. I haven't tested the red line much though.

-- The two scenarios I have been using ae "Meeting of the Titans" and "A Few Good Tanks". I got the error message "Bad Quadrant in Quadrant to Corners():0" *only* in the "Few Good Tanks" scenario. Play seemed to continue "normally" though.

-- After the clean install, the Game and Realism options did not remember my changes initially. After I started a scenario I needed to go back and set them again.

-- I think this is a bug, but I am not sure: I am occassionally seeing a red arty explosion well into enemy territory, when no unit has been spotted by my guys, no order was given. It does not seem to be a case of my subordinates ordering a barrage on an HQ exposed by radio traffic since I am not getting any messages asking for authorization like I used to.

-- I do not experience problems running any other programs, including Highway to the Reich and Steel Panthers. That said, I know Windows ME is well behind the times. I don't doubt that the problem is probably with my computer, but like I said in the other thread, I never had a problem with 1.02...

-- Capn Darwin requested an Error log file or something similar. The only thing I could find that sounded appropriate was a file called FPG_report.txt. It is too long to post here, except for the beginning:

date/time : 2005-06-10, 21:46:30, 260ms

computer name : CC1671-C

user name :

operating system : Windows ME build 3000

system language : English

system up time : 35 minutes 49 seconds

program up time : 26 minutes 47 seconds

physical memory : 146/511 MB (free/total)

system resources : 00/69 (gdi/user)

free disk space : (C:) 4.15 GB

display mode : 1024x768, 16 bit

process id : $fffdad21

allocated memory : 215.73 MB

executable : FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE

exec. date/time : 2005-06-09 18:36

version : 1.0.3.268

madExcept version : 2.7g

exception class : EOutOfResources

exception message : Out of system resources.

main thread ($fffc9c21):

00459b3b FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 2608 OutOfResources

00459be3 FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 2621 GDIError

00459c1b FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 2626 GDICheck

0045e82f FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 5069 CopyBitmap

0045f2f7 FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 5343 TBitmap.CopyImage

00460ce1 FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Graphics 6123 TBitmap.SetHeight

005bb786 FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE te_controls 18480 TTeGraphicControl.Paint

004d4198 FLASHPOINTGERMANY.EXE Controls 8574 TGraphicControl.WMPaint

...etc.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Zen

Post #: 1
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/11/2005 7:17:20 AM   
CapnDarwin

Zen,

That is the correct file. By post I mean upload the txt file. You may have to zip it first. Right away the thing that stands out is a resource problem. I'll look at my system this weekend and see if a resource leak is occuring. The quadrent thing is a bug that showed up in the last build that we thought was squashed. Rob is working on fixing it. Hang in there. We'll get it going.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Zen)
Post #: 2
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/11/2005 4:14:30 PM   
Zen

OK, let's see if I can upload this correctly...

Zen

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/11/2005 4:30:46 PM   
CapnDarwin

Thanks. We'll give it a look over.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Zen)
Post #: 4
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/11/2005 7:56:31 PM   
IronManBeta

Thanks for posting the text file. That is a huge help sorting this out. Erik and I will be back in touch.

Thanks Zen!

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/12/2005 7:04:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Zen,

I tested this yesterday on a stock Windows 98 system and we found that some options simply are too much for Windows 98/ME to handle with their limited resources. I had to use the following settings - at which point everything worked fine. Please try these and let me know if it helps you. Also, do you see a System Resource Monitor in your Start->Programs->Accessories folder? If so, run that after a clean boot and closing down all background apps and let us know what it says. It may be you have more running than you realize. On a clean boot, I can get the following range:

System: 88% - 90% Free
User 88% - 90% Free
GDI 95% - 98% Free

With 1.03, it doesn't drop down to levels that are too low for me unless I turn on too many visual options. Here's what you should be using:

No Counter Silhouettes - use only the NATO symbols
No fire lines

With those two, you should be fine. Please let us know your results.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 6
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/13/2005 10:19:52 PM   
Zen

Erik,

OK, I was finally able to spend some more time with FPG. Here is what I found:

My system, after booting up, had these numbers:
System 88
User 88
GDI 98

I then left the system monitor on and played FPG twice, both times using the same scenario. I used the generic counters (like I always do -- no change). The first time through I did not use any overlays or the red firing line. The second time through I used overlays as needed, and turned on the firing line before the Turn 3 resolution. The numbers were very similar for both games, so I will only give you one set.

Upon first entering the Orders Phase for Turn 1
S 42, U 76, GDI 42

Orders Phase Turn 2
S 33, U 73, GDI 33

Orders Phase Turn 3
S 30, U 73, GDI 30

Orders Phase Turn 4
S 25, U 76, GDI 25

Orders Phase Turn 5
S 19, U 73, GDI 19

Turn 5 Resolution
-- First game -- dramatic slow down and then freeze

Orders Phase Turn 6 (second game)
S 16, U 74, GDI 16

Turn 6 Resolution (second game)
-- Dramatic slow down and then freeze

Some notes:
-- The use of the overlays and red line did not seem to impact performance. However, I only used the red line for one turn during the second game because with it turned on ***no direct fire attacks were made by either side during the turn resolution, when there should have been many attacks.***

Needless to say, with no combat occuring, I never even saw the red line get drawn. Indirect fire attacks were normal, but otherwise the units behaved as though there were no enemy units around (moving as usual). Trust me when I say that there should have been *dozens* of direct fire attacks going on. After turning off the red line option before the next turn's resolution phase, the direct fire attacks resumed normally.

-- Both of these games lasted 2 or 3 turns longer before crashing than the previous 1.03 games I played. I don't know why.

-- I am still experiencing the bug whereby I lose hot key control of the overlays if I press the P key or the W key.

I hope this information helps. Any hope for a fix, either to my system or the game?

Zen

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/13/2005 10:31:38 PM   
Zen

Oh, I forgot to mention that I run other games just fine on this system, such as:

Battles in Normandy demo
Highway to the Reich
Steel Panthers
Trainz
VASSAL
Unreal II
Chessmaster 9000
Fritz 8
Neverwinter Nights
Silent Storm

etc.

I must admit though that I have only run the first five on the list recently. My main computer is a Mac. I only have the Windows box for certain games (that's why I haven't bought Windows XP -- haven't needed to so far). BTW, I would tattoo "Matrix Rocks" across my forehead if you guys would start releasing Mac versions of your games. Ummm, well on second thought, how about a nice laurel and hearty handshake.

Zen

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: My 1.03 woes continue... - 6/13/2005 10:43:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

Zen,

Thanks, those results are definitely helpful and the offer of a tattoo is almost enough to garner Mac support.

Please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com and I can send you a new exe to see if that helps at all and we can work with you more directly to troubleshoot this, if you are willing. Thank you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zen)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> My 1.03 woes continue... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI