Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading Problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Loading Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading Problems - 8/13/2000 3:01:00 AM   
vvv3

SPWaW looks to be a great game and I look forward to playing it. However, I am having problems installing it. I ordered the CD version from EZGamer.com (spwaw-complete-21; spwaw-update-22; spwaw-update-23). However, every time I try to load the game, I get the "initializing setup" pop up window and the blue install shield screen shows for about half a second and then nothing. The install program kicks back to the windows desktop without loading. I tried shutting down all background programs, updating video drivers, running ScanDisk (thorough setting), Disk Defragmanter and a virus check (currently updated), but no luck. I even tried turning off my screen saver. Hope someone can help out.

Post #: 1
- 8/13/2000 3:06:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

I'm not sure but there may be a problem with the CD itself. Sounds as though your computer is working properly. I would think it might be the CD. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 2
- 8/13/2000 5:30:00 AM   
jwarrenw13

I also ordered from ezgamer but had no problems getting the game to load. There is a readme file on the CD that gives one procedure to try if you have trouble, but I'm not sure it will help you. Otherwise, they recommend you contact tech support at the game manufacturer, i.e., here. Good luck.

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 3
- 8/13/2000 8:11:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

UNfortunately problems like this are very difficult for us to troubleshoot becasue they usually are casued by a system specific combination of drivers and software versions. When detailing problems of this type, we need to know your operating system, what sort of peripherals you have and how much free memory you have. You need about 700MB free to install not having this free memory to transfer the exe to a tamp file, and then to install it, could be a problem. Don't use the support email unless on eof the matrix staff tells you to use it. Use the Support forum above. IF we solve your problem there, oters can see how, If we solve it via email, only you and I know. Not as efficient. [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited August 12, 2000).]

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 4
- 8/13/2000 9:03:00 AM   
vvv3

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: UNfortunately problems like this are very difficult for us to troubleshoot becasue they usually are casued by a system specific combination of drivers and software versions. When detailing problems of this type, we need to know your operating system, what sort of peripherals you have and how much free memory you have. You need about 700MB free to install not having this free memory to transfer the exe to a tamp file, and then to install it, could be a problem. Don't use the support email unless on eof the matrix staff tells you to use it. Use the Support forum above. IF we solve your problem there, oters can see how, If we solve it via email, only you and I know. Not as efficient. [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited August 12, 2000).]
Paul(and everyone else who reposnded), thanks for the message. I have 9 GB left (16 GB total). Regarding my operating system, I have an IBM Aptiva S Series (450 Pentium II) PC, with Windows 98, and 128 MB of RAM. My video card is an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP, enhanced by a Diamond Monster 3D II accelerator. My sound card is a Crystal PnP. I have an Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-2500 and an HP CD-Writer Plus (7200 series). Please let me know if you need more info.

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 5
- 8/13/2000 9:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

How did you try to install it? Which command did you use to start the install program,vvv? It could be you are missing some files on the CD. Let me know about this one, please. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 6
- 8/13/2000 9:22:00 AM   
vvv3

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: How did you try to install it? Which command did you use to start the install program,vvv? It could be you are missing some files on the CD. Let me know about this one, please. WB
The file was first unzipped. Then I tried to install it three ways: (1)Through "Run" with the following command, "C:\unzipped\spwaw21+22+23\spwaw-complete-21.exe" (2); using the "Add/Remove" feture in the Control Panel with the same command as in (1); and (3) by opening up the folder where the file was unzipped to and double clicking on spwaw-complete-21.exe.

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 7
- 8/13/2000 10:51:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

How large does the that spwaw-complete-21.exe file report to be? There may be an issue with multiple video cards. THis seems to be a thread with several folks having problems. TRy turning hardware acceleration in the 2nd card off. IF that doesn't work and you are familiar enough with disabling and re-ebling drivers you can try removing the Monster card from your hardware profile. Anybody else with multiple vid cards having probs?

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 8
- 8/14/2000 2:31:00 AM   
vvv3

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: How large does the that spwaw-complete-21.exe file report to be? There may be an issue with multiple video cards. THis seems to be a thread with several folks having problems. TRy turning hardware acceleration in the 2nd card off. IF that doesn't work and you are familiar enough with disabling and re-ebling drivers you can try removing the Monster card from your hardware profile. Anybody else with multiple vid cards having probs?
The file size if 299MB. I'll try turning the hardware acceleration in the 2nd card off. However, I'm not skilled enough to remove the Monster card. Thanks.

(in reply to vvv3)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Loading Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI