Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for Spain?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Suggestions for Spain? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for Spain? - 6/14/2005 9:43:38 PM   
Ontario

We've heard ideas about what to start out looking for or trying to achieve for some of the more dominant powers. But what if you are starting the game out as one of the small fish?

I'm about to start a new game with some friends and I've landed the Spanish, any thoughts or suggestions? Ideas that have worked well in the past? I believe I read somewhere about a guy who had won a world championship in EiA several years running who's most recent victory was accomplished from the Spanish seat, anyone know where I could find more info on that?

Right now I'm thinking of slow playing it in the beginning to keep my head low. However if recent discussions with others who will be at the table are to be believed, it looks like a large scale continental war will shape up very quickly with almost everyone else seeking to bring France under control early.

In a situation like that I'm afraid of ending up with two well defined large scale military powers... France on one hand and the Alliance on the other, neither of whom will be to pleased by my initial isolationism, how does this change what others would be looking at as likely Spanish agendas?

Animal Rationis Capax
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 1:55:16 AM   
NeverMan

Here's a suggestion: Don't play the Spanish!!

Balance, balance, balance and more balance.

One of two strategies first comes to mind (easy ones). First assess the GB and Fr players. Would you want to piss either off? Would you trust them keeping their word if you forged a long lasting alliance with one of them?

For those two you can either try to play between them both or side strong with one and go that route.

Try to ally with Russia, that's always good as Spain (IMO) because your interests do not conflict heavily in most games. If you side with France, maybe he will let you have a piece of Italy (although don't plan on keeping it). I always end up fighting with Turkey over Africa, but if you piss GB off this can be difficult. At the same time if you are not strongly allied with France then there is the chance of a land war, which can be annoying.

Spain is one of those countries that really depends (they all do to a degree) on who is playing which country and how well you know that person.

Have fun and enjoy the game. I am sure someone will disagree with me, they usually do.

(in reply to Ontario)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 4:50:11 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Ontario:

I would agree with Neverman's strategy.

A couple of almost constants ...

France will probably not spend much time worrying about you at first until they have squashed Prussia / Austria. I don't think a good French player would welcome a two front war with your front having guerillas! Be careful though, since they will look your way soon after they have secured their Eastern front to help secure their Western front! There are a few ways to do this: by either you surrendeing to them or you playing them as an ally!

GBR is much more important at first to suck up to since they could hinder / stop any plans of moving into Portugal and Africa. Be nice because of their navy and trade! This could also be a good long term strategy (Especially after the French Navy has been broken then your options are much more abundant in the latter phases when everybody is going after a piece of France THEN you'll be adjacent and have several naval options!).

WATCH Turkey and her diplomacy! If she cowers to France then you must keep her from forming the Ottoman! Actually it is probably a good idea to move into Morocco (if you can) and maybe even Algeria to help prevent the forming of the Ottoman or at least to help put you be in a position that somebody will have to negotiate with you to form it!

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on the results...

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 5:04:41 AM   
carnifex

Things that worked for me:

Convince the Frog to go for the big attack against the Brits on turn one. You know, Trafalgar, except Nelson loses. If you do the math, you have a more than fair chance of winning the battle and landing in England. It's a high risk, high reward strategy. Unfortunately most Frogs tend to concentrate on the coming land war, preferring to take care of the British later, no matter how urgently you explain that the very BEST chance you have is right at the start, otherwise the Brits build up their fleet with new builds, minor and allied fleets.

Otherwise, protect the fleet at all costs. You will have a difficult time replacing losses, so build some while you can.

Be as aggressive in Africa as possible early on. The weak Brits can't oppose you yet, and Turkey won't make too much of a stink unless you're aiming for Egypt.

Pick an ally and be loyal. I personally prefer to toady up to the French, basically telling them at start that they just lucked out and picked up a super loyal ally who will protect their southern flank and help in any way possible at virtually no cost, except of course for infusions of cash and minors, preferably in Italy (I once formed the KoI that way - that was one sweet Spanish empire har har).

You can toady up to the Brits, but be aware that any time the Frog is looking for easy PP between wars, you will have Nappy and a bunch of corps rampaging through your provinces, and unlike the historical situation, a competent Frog can wrest a surrender from you pretty quickly. With your crappy manpower, even if you win the odd fight, you will still be crippled.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 5:21:58 AM   
carnifex

quote:

GBR is much more important at first to suck up to since they could hinder / stop any plans of moving into Portugal and Africa

While I agree that they could contest Portugal, it would be almost suicidal to do so, considering their at start force of 24 army factors and no Wellington until 1806.

Also, until the British fleet is reinforced, taking their 100 factors to contest Africa is an almost unacceptable risk versus 106 the Franco-Spanish can field.

I guess it depends on how aggressive the British player is, but in all my games I have never seen the Brit grow his cojones big enough to be a threat in the first year.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 6:13:09 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Carnifex:

I agree with you that at first a Brit player in my eyes has little else to do other than HINDER other people from achieving their objectives. Spain is a popular target to either try and force their hand in an alliance or stop trade and attempt to stop their plans of empire. This can be done without committing suicide and I've seen it done through the use of the almighty dollar (EXCUSE me the almighty pound) and diplomatic promises. This is far from suicidal for the Brits since I think her game CAN be all about "pounds and promises" and don't forget the small fleet she has to help reinforce her promises!

Remember, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Thank you

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 10:47:59 AM   
Pippin

I know a LITTLE bit about Spain & Britain so here will be my 2 cents...

Evaluate what you will get from Britain & France. This includes both the bonuses, and penalties you will have to pay for. How threatening is France; will he get very pissed off if you ally with Britain? How trusting is England, can you count on her promises, or does she have a history of screwing people over in past games.

I think Spain's biggest fears is France coming at her right from turn one. However she often has her own problems with the Austrians and Prussians so you will most likely be able to plan for a while. Keep in mind, even if you are at war with France, it is not wise to help in the demise of France's navy. Once France's naval forces are out, the value of Spain's navy plumets. The reason for this, is Britain no longer has to worry about a double naval stack against her. She can afford to mistreat people and still get away with ruling the seas. So... there is a time to aid your enemies even in this game.

One major problem I have with playing Spain is crap moral. Let me say this again, CRAP moral. And no special toys except for gurillas (did I spell that wrong again?). No cannons, no guards, no glorious cavaly, sorry. You get really crap units with crap moral. On the other hand, that starting navy is worth quite a bit for its services, and threats.

If I am Britain, I know my problem from day one is France, even if we do not physicaly fight. First thing I do is try to get spain on my side. I want his Ships too! I will give him money for those, and make promises to aid him when he needs help from big bad France. I will even try to help him gain dominant status. Lets see, those crap moral units suddenly may turn into something usefull here.

If Spain comes to my side, I will carry out exactly what I have told him. I will not turn on him and BS him, unless of course, game is coming to and end and he is getting too close to the finish line, but that is another story!

If Spain turns his back on me, I will have no problem with instantly cutting off my trade with him, his trade with the US, and I will raid every one of his Spanish convoys. So yes, turning your back on England can be a worse mistake than turning it on France, despite France has lots of corps near by. I can also land my HIGHER moral corps instantly on his homeland and start burning everything to the ground.

On the other hand, if I am France I will try to get him to ally with me just to get me off his back. If he even THINKS of allying with Britain, I will let him know I am going to slaughter him the instant he signs the paper, even if that means I will have to let Prussia build up all her cavalry.

BTW, it is rather embarrasing for Spain when Britain has all those Spanish ships blockaded in one single port, while britain also dispatches one naval counter to every other Spanish port just to block trade in those. And the fleets just sit there, month after month...not moving... waiting for that unconditional surrender to be signed. Try not to let that happen.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 2:02:14 PM   
ardilla

Well, I guess Pippin was faster than me, I totally agree with him.

Evaluate what are you going to win/lose from each one and choose...try to keep a door open to change if your ally doesnt helps you or gives you what he promissed.

Depends also on Turkey´s side, if Turkey is french ally britain needs spain and the oposite, if turkey is ally with the britsh, probably this will happend, GB will not really care much about Spain, but France should need you for your ships.

Keep your fleet in good shape and build up ships every turn you can, specially with the gold convoy extra cash, use it for ships and cavalry.

Go for Morocco, Argel and Tunis if you can in africa and for some part of Italy, specially for Naples and Sicily.

But the BEST for a spanish players is to be neutral as long as you can, between france and GB... it is complicated, but if you remain neutral a long time you can be peacefully conquering minors and building up your army and fleet for the future.

Of course, this can last some playing years and you can get bored, but if you are patient while neutral this will give you a great advantage to the future when you choose which side to join and when!!

Neither FR or GB will want you to attack you and make you join the other side...

Santiago y cierra España!!!

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 8
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 4:46:07 PM   
jnier

I would echo what others have said about the fine balancing act you must play between Britian and France. Trying to appease them both, while getting concessions from both, is the fun of playing Spain. You really have to be shrewd diplomat.

Even more importantly, PRESERVE YOUR FLEET. The Spanish fleet is the only reason either Great Britian or France fear you or need you. Without your fleet, they can do anything to you that they want. However, if you have a fleet, Britian will at least try to treat you fairly in order to avoid you combining with the French fleet. If you have a fleet, France will at least try to treat you fairly in order to convince you to attack the British fleet. But if you piss away your fleet on a risky attack against Great Britian, that is basically the end of the game for you. And once your fleet is gone it can NEVER be rebuilt, so use it very sparingly. You may have to eventually commit it to battle, but only do so when the potential payoff is very high. Your fleet is most effective when it is used as a tool of diplomacy (sitting in Cadiz), rather than a tool of war.

(in reply to ardilla)
Post #: 9
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 5:12:55 PM   
NeverMan

I am not sure what they are talking about with the Attack Brit first. France will place her fleets in her ports or they will be quickly destroyed. Brit will then place her fleets in blockade boxes (or move them their shortly after) to blockade France's fleets in. This will leave Brit with 3 fleet counters free. Then Brit will place one in English Channel (of course).

Personally, I don't think it very wise to attack Brit right out of the gates. Try and use Brit in the beginning to acquire pieces of Africa.

Please explain the Attack Brit first strategy to me, I must be misunderstanding something.

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 8:13:14 PM   
Pippin

Place a couple french corps on lille. Then do a French-Russian-Spain combined naval movement.

POW, BAM, OUFF, BIFF, CRACK, SMACK!!!

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 11
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/15/2005 8:55:47 PM   
Barbu

Do you play with the Gb-Fr mandatory war option? That alone will change many things.

If you're not playing with that option, your first objective should be the destruction of the british fleet. Without the French to tie them down, the british fleet will hang like a sword of damocles over everything you do. The russians might be very well interested in settling a similar issue so check with them.

If GB and Fr are in a mandatory war, then things look better. First off, seek an alliance with Russia. They are spain's best natural ally. They have nothing you want, you have nothing they want, and you have 2 potential competitors in Turkey and Gb.

It's in your best interest to have the Fr-GB war go on forever. If you end up being forced to pick an ally though, pick France. France can beat you up good, but losing a few provinces isn't going to cripple you. Losing your fleet though, will relegate you to the rank of a minor country, and you can bet it's in GB's agenda somewhere.

Like others said, a lot will depend on your judgement of the french leader's character. Either way, the french fleet MUST stay afloat, and the french must not be forced to surrender to GB. Try to find out what the coalition's goals are. Do they intend on going all the way and force a French unconditional surrender and include the brits in it? If that's the case, is the russian player in that coalition? If so, you need to talk to him and make him realize he's being a fool, since GB is a far greater threat to him than France can ever be. If going to war on the french side can prevent a defeat of that scale, do it. Will the coalition settle for a conditional surrender? If so then you can relax and lay back, and maybe even join in the coalition if you think the french player is fickle. Make sure it's clear you are the one getting the extended peace if that's the case. If you think he's trustworthy enough though, try to stay in his good graces and stay neutral. It doesn't mean though that you can ignore what's going on in the continental war.

Pay attention to what is going on, where the french fleets are, what forces are protecting their harbors, what the british are doing to try to capture these ports and force the french fleet out. Do not let that happen! A french player heavily commited in Italy/Germany should stack all of his fleets in one port with a full garrison and a decent corps/leader nearby to intervene. If he's massing his whole army in Germany with 1 factor garrisons in his ports, you can bet that BIG trouble will be coming soon. Give the french proper advice in that regard, and be prepared to take swift diplomatic and/or military action to save the french fleet.

It may seem an easy solution to invade GB early and be done with the problem, but it's not the best solution, as the british won't be available then to protect you from the french. You make an excellent french PP punchbag without british support, and you can bet the French will use that option eventually, maybe even with british support then. By far the very best solution is to play one against the other and strike a balance. Fortunately, the initial situation greatly favors Spain in that regard. Do your best to keep it that way, and remember that usually the greatest threat to tip that balance happens when France is heavily under attack and ends up neglecting/being unable to protect it's fleets.

Once and only once you have the Fr/GB situation under control can you pursue your plan for victory. The Turks should be your primary target, and you should leech PP from them as much as possible. Getting an actual surrender from them, or territorial expansion is irrelevant. All you want is to beat their armies scattered over North Africa for PP. Disembark where they are weaker beat their forces there, re-embark, go somewhere else and keep doing that. If playing with the economic manipulation option, get into the 10 vp square in the dominant zone and manipulate at +2 to stay there. Then you can stop toying with the Turks, hibernate and build up your fleet with most of your available resources. You cannot keep territories like Egypt, Palestine and Syria for very long. Overextending yourself in these areas is only going to mark you as more powerful than you really are, and as a target for someone else. Territories like Tripolitania and Cyreanica are relatively worthless to you with their low income, so better they stay in turkish hands to tempt someone else.

Rolling back to the early game: Portugal is yours, and so are Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Naples is yours too, but make sure you do not excessively antagonize the russians over it. You should declare war on both Naples and Portugal on the first turn, get those extra 17 ships in your ranks as soon as possible. Make it very clear that suiciding these minor countries's fleets will be considered a casus belli.

That's all I can think of right now, have fun :)

Edit: In many ways, the most important city in Spain is Cadiz. Put at least 10I there in the initial setup, and push up that number to 15 as soon as possible. Make sure that your fleets are either stationed there, or in a port with a strong field army close by, or in the actual port area should a british land force be in range for a landing. Do not tempt the british by leaving most of your fleets in a weakly protected port. Not much then can prevent the british from declaring war, moving first in the naval phase and blockading that port, and since they move before you in the land phase, from having a good chance at capturing that port before you can react it, forcing your fleet into nelson's waiting arms. Since a defeated blockaded fleet cannot go anywhere if the port has been captured, this means that the surviving ships must be scuttled. this is the worst case scenario, and a smart british player can capitalize on it if the timing is right. Once Spain's fleet is destroyed, even a world coalition against GB doesn't have that good of a chance at defeating her. Keep that in mind, protect your fleet, and always keep an eye on where the british fleets are.

< Message edited by Barbu -- 6/15/2005 9:05:59 PM >

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 12
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/16/2005 12:41:17 AM   
Forward_March

First and foremost, France is Spain's best chance for survival, and greatest threat if forsaken.
British eyes always fall hungrily upon Portugal. This should belong to Spain as a rich province. If Britain gets Portugal, she gets another corps and fleet...making her more of a nuisance to everyone....especially you. If you can team up with France, Britain's naval options will be much more limited. Her ten fleet counters can't be everywhere at once. A third Ally with fleets can nullify the nation of shopkeepers. Creating Portugal as your serf-state can stretch those fleets even further. The corps isn't worth much, though.
France is always too busy with the Coalition to bother with you...keep it that way. As long as your French ally is a good ally and not an opportunistic weasel, you may have chances to increase the Glory of Spain.

(in reply to Barbu)
Post #: 13
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/16/2005 11:42:35 PM   
Ontario

Thank you everyone, this thread has reaffirmed a lot of what I was hoping to do and given me a ton of new thoughts to try to mix into my strategy. I'm not going to go into any details about how I want to play this as I've mentioned this message board to the others I'm playing with a couple of times and that could lead to a mess. But I'll be sure to come back to this later on down the road let you all know how it is going.

Animal Rationis Capax

(in reply to Forward_March)
Post #: 14
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/17/2005 6:24:30 PM   
yammahoper

I have played Spain twice, the second time far more successful than the first.

I went to Au, Ru and GB and informed them I was looking to grow in Africa and Italy. My long term goal was war against the Turk, something all three powers liked the idea of since Tu was definitley going into the pocket of the Fr.

One of Sp first problems is the amount of cav it has, forcing you to keep corps on the board you do not need and maintaining them. Three full corps (one for each fleet) is how to begin your conquest of the minors. I made a deal with GB for $80 and $10 every eco phase after for Portugal, money I needed badly. Then started the slow growth into moroco and algeria. Tu went to war with Russia over Tunisia and I did not feel ready in the first year to go to war with a major, so I sat out for 9 months while I grew and garrisoned.

My war with Tu started late in the 1806 and lasted until 1809. It took me forever to beat him down and get a surrender. Every thing said and done, it was one of my favorite wars ever fought becasuse Sp and Tu are so evenly matched (and it feels good to dominate the sea against the Tu as if I was GB). My next war was only three months later, against Russia.

I started stealing the territories he had in the Med, Tunisia, Corfu and Crete, giving me easy PP. I won our only naval battle (I had 68 ships at that point I recall) and the Russian offered a conditional, realizing he was never going to get forces south and wanting to keep Naples (GB had Sicily).

After that I was pretty much done. I went into Fr with the Au, Pr and GB and lost several fights. The single battle I won was amazing. Davout was in charge of 20 infantry factors in two corps, but had no cav! I forget the chit choices, but he attacked me while I sat in the mountains. I won the fight and eliminated the entire force, capturing Davout.

I came VERY close to winning the game (2nd place, yahoo!), but Ru did, which made me very happy. I won two wars, and was part of a coalition victory over Fr, making me 3 and 0 with Spain! Still, I did a lot of sitting on my hands too, both while at war and the long lulls inbetween. Spain isn't for everyone, but if you have the patience and do not need to be a dominant player, it can be very fun.

We discussed amongst ourselves allowing Spanish Cav to have a 4.0 morale, but we have never done it. Considering how small the army is, I doubt it would have too big of an impact.

yamma

...nothing is more chaotic than a battle won...

(in reply to Ontario)
Post #: 15
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/18/2005 2:24:38 AM   
Madcombinepilot

If you don't want to cheese France off, be kind enought to start the game at war with her.(And/or England).
France is always more happy when she doesn't think she HAS to extract those PP's she spent to DOW....

Surrender.

18 months is a long time.......

As an first month option, 1 corps to Portugal, 1 corps (7I) to morroco, 1 corps (full) to Naples [start in scicily], 1 (7I) corps to Tunisia. That was my open 2 games ago (I think I tried to snag Romagna, I can't remember)...

I also kept my country free of my troops (like the army was in Morroco or next to Gibralter) to discourage the French from invading.. no corps to defeat = no field victories. He occupied the capitol for about a year (4 or 5 quarters) untill he got too busy with the Prussian/Austria/English alliance, then we agreeed to a conditional surrender. Best war I ever won without an army :)

btw, I finished second as well....

(in reply to yammahoper)
Post #: 16
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/18/2005 4:09:16 AM   
Tisirin

I've only played Spain once and came in second, so not too bad. As others have mentioned, I chose a Mediterranean strategy. This brought me into conflict with the Turks and, in Italy, the Austrians.

The most imortant thing I did was to be able to maintain a benevolent neutrality with both France and Great Britain. To France, I promised I would not let enemy armies cross the Pyrennes in exchange for a non-aggression pact. To Great Britain, I promised that my fleet would not be used against them in exchange for a free hand in the Mediterranean. I got Portugal out of the deal, too, which I wouldn't expect to happen every time.

I got several of the North African countries and also got Naples and some southern and central Italian provinces. Being on good terms with France allowed me to protect myself at one point from Austria by ceding an Italian province to the French. That was kind of amusing. :)

At the end, I came in second. On the last turn of the game, my armies under Castanos entered Vienna. :)

(in reply to Ontario)
Post #: 17
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/18/2005 9:29:22 AM   
Pippin

quote:

If you don't want to cheese France off, be kind enought to start the game at war with her.(And/or England).
France is always more happy when she doesn't think she HAS to extract those PP's she spent to DOW....

Surrender.

18 months is a long time.......

Not my cup of tea. I would much rather have France lose PP by starting a war with me, and then I will try and make things as ruff for her as I can before I submit.

(in reply to Tisirin)
Post #: 18
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/22/2005 2:16:44 AM   
Madcombinepilot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Not my cup of tea. I would much rather have France lose PP by starting a war with me, and then I will try and make things as ruff for her as I can before I submit.

Last time I was France, Spain started the game at war with me... I promptly took Ney and 20I, 2C to Madrid... There wasn't a Spanish factor in Spain to defeat except those damnable guerillas... I figured to occupy his capitol and force enough of a PP loss for him to submit. He just smiled an manipulated the heck out of himself. Oh how I bled... In the end, I was looking at the surrender to Spain or Surrender to the central powers.. I couldn't fight them both.

That was a bad start to a French game....

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 19
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/22/2005 3:11:49 AM   
carnifex

He manipulated while you sat in Madrid, unbesieged?

(in reply to Madcombinepilot)
Post #: 20
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/22/2005 6:27:04 PM   
Hoche

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

He manipulated while you sat in Madrid, unbesieged?

Yep your buddy cheated

8.4.1 OCCUPIED HOME NATION CAPITAILS: If a major power home nation capital is enemy occupied and unbesieged during a Manipulation Step, the major power without a capital may not collect money (see 8.2. 1. 1) or carry out any previously set economic manipulation (see option 12.5) or set any new economic manipulation ("O" must be set). Instead, the major power's political status marker must be adjusted on the POLITICAL- STATUS DISPILAY on the Status Card to show the following drop in points:

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 21
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/23/2005 2:09:18 AM   
Madcombinepilot

damn.

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 22
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/23/2005 5:01:39 AM   
Barbu

Not that the brits can't provide subsidies anyway.

(in reply to Madcombinepilot)
Post #: 23
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/23/2005 8:58:59 PM   
carnifex

Perfect example of EiA rule ambiguity.

quote:

the major power without a capital may not collect money (see 8.2.1.1)

Now, as read, it means no money. No taxation, no trade, no convoy, NO MONEY. But then you look up 8.2.1.1 and it ONLY refers to taxation.

quote:

8.2.1 MONEY COLLECTION
8.2.1.1 MONEY COLLECTION BY TAXATION
8.2.1.2 MONEY COLLECTION BY TRADE
8.2.1.2.1 Domestic (Normal) Trade
8.2.1.2.2 Overseas Trade
8.2.1.2.2.1 British Colonial Trade
8.2.1.2.2.2 American Trade
8.2.1.2.2.2.1 American Trade Value
8.2.1.2.2.2.2 Stopping American Trade-War With the United States

You would think this rule would refer to all of 8.2.1, because it's right there "may not collect money", but no...

(in reply to Barbu)
Post #: 24
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/24/2005 2:54:40 PM   
Pippin

A bit off topic but now I am wondering. The Spanish gold convoy, shouldn't this value be hidden from other players realisticaly?

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 25
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/24/2005 5:26:26 PM   
carnifex

You could estimate the amount of gold flowing into Spanish ports by measuring the inflationary pressure against the Spanish currency that such influxes caused.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 26
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/24/2005 5:55:40 PM   
Daniel Jax

Well all these Spainish stories are making me want to tell mine. Only the first bit is really relevant to the thread.

Playing Spain I was approached by France at the start of the game to start allied with him and at war with England. We were to start with our fleets stacked together in the Bay of Biscay for the big combined attack on England. It's a risky strategy. The French/Spanish navy is just slightly bigger than the British (106 to 99). IF (and it's a big IF) the combined fleet can get the wind and first shot then it has a very good chance of beating the Brits.

Before agreeing to this risk I got the French to promise to replace all Spanish losses in the battle. Losing the Spanish fleet at the start of the game IS NOT a good idea. But that's covered in the thread above. As it turned out we got the wind and beat the British fleet and chased them back to London. Upshot: British fleet destroyed, Spain VERY rich (got the cash settlement from the unconditional surrender and spent it all on ships) and spent the rest of the game making the British fleet my b*tch any time they looked like they were getting strong enough to threaten me. Free money and PP's at will. Oh joyous day, kaloo kalay! So it CAN work but it relies on luck and you'd be better off covering your bases with some kick backs from the French. As it was I got the cash AND the French rebuilt my losses (not very heavy) from the battle. But

Game got very interesting thereafter. The French player got sick and had to replaced by a complete newbie. France crashed and burned under Prustrian attacks. I tried to help but the new player was more keen on hitting the Brits (personal reasons, they were good friends) than fighting for his own survival. I was allied with the Turks and (eviscerated)French against a powerful Central Powers. Russia was largely neutral, occasionally getting some PPs from Turkey. The game never finished (no surprise there) but we were slowly fighting back against the Central Powers.

One thing the Spanish can do if they have a free hand in the Med is to make amphibious assaults all over Italy and even into Illyria (but be careful of Insurrection Corps there.)

Oddly I too finished second. Good place for Spain I think.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 27
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/28/2005 10:55:12 AM   
Dragonheart

Just wondering what the hell are you playing here? The EIA Boardgame ?, the EIA Computergame as Betatesters? Is this game already finished?

(in reply to Daniel Jax)
Post #: 28
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 6/28/2005 5:16:07 PM   
sol_invictus

They are talking about past boardgame experience. The computer version is not complete yet.

(in reply to Dragonheart)
Post #: 29
RE: Suggestions for Spain? - 7/15/2005 11:15:31 PM   
malcolm_mccallum

Reading through all this has reminded me why EiA is such a solid game, especially with multiplayer.

As I see it, there is no universal strategy for Spain. You aren't in a position to be a dominant personality and, more importantly, you should avoid being seen as one.

Spain though is in a catseat position, like Russia, in that people would always like to find ways to use you without going to war with you. Your position is better than Russia's though because everyone looks at Russia as a threat. That means your strength is in bending and bargaining with the dominants. Play both sides and read the players carefully.

One strategy that might work is to encourage the rise of the Turk therefore both Britain and France will be more than happy to support you trying to curb their aggression.

Britain may be the hardest one to deal with, especially if they get it into their mind that they can't be safe as long as you have a dominant fleet. You may need to play a psychological game of getting others to compete with Britain navally but publicly making huge and unacceptable demands if anyone wants Spanish naval support. Give Britain reason to believe that you're too focussed on preserving your fleet to ever risk it in battle. Maybe let someone sink a few of your ships and go overboard on how devestating this is to you on principle, but not showing that you need it for something.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Suggestions for Spain? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI