Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

vid998.smk failure

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> vid998.smk failure Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
vid998.smk failure - 5/7/2001 11:36:00 PM   
dchilder17

I just finished the dl of the full version of 5.0. 12 hours. Whew. The zip file came through fine. I got a successful transfer. The zip file opened and I extracted the Spwawv50Internet.exe file. I installed the exe file and about 50% through I get the error "C:\MatrixGames\Steel Panthers World At War\SND\stream\vid998.smk A decompression error has been detected (#7) File CRC mismatch - Data integrity error" I can ignore the error but of course, the game won't run afterwards. Please don't tell me that I have to do another 12 hr. download to fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? Thanks, --Don

Post #: 1
- 5/7/2001 11:48:00 PM   
phoenixwar

Same problem here...WinZip says the file has no errors, so it must be an internal error in the installer. Please fix this and post this file for us whom have this problem!!! I do not want to go through another 13 hour download... William Miller
quote:

Originally posted by Don Childers: I just finished the dl of the full version of 5.0. 12 hours. Whew. The zip file came through fine. I got a successful transfer. The zip file opened and I extracted the Spwawv50Internet.exe file. I installed the exe file and about 50% through I get the error "C:\MatrixGames\Steel Panthers World At War\SND\stream\vid998.smk A decompression error has been detected (#7) File CRC mismatch - Data integrity error" I can ignore the error but of course, the game won't run afterwards. Please don't tell me that I have to do another 12 hr. download to fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? Thanks, --Don

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 2
- 5/8/2001 12:08:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

If you are replacing an older version of SPWAW you might try deleting the Steel Panthers Preferance file (in the Save folder)and reload V5.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 3
- 5/8/2001 12:22:00 AM   
jamiep1

Same problemo. Thanks for any help & it would be appreciated.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 4
- 5/8/2001 12:27:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The big vid998 file should be up on the ftp soon. ITs 60 odd MB and part of our agreement with SSI to avoid having to use CD, so don't say get rid of it, we can't - but we did update it to reflect who did what on thie version. This is not a problem with the file, but a problem with an error during transmission. I've downloaded and installed both the patch and full game and they both work. Bit errors in transmission lead to these problems and can either be faiures in the integrity of the zip file or the files within the executable (the zip only knows the executablt looks right, not the files inside). Its an installer problem if you get teh 'disk 2 request' messaege. That one is not recoverable from though somtimes its a read error that uninstalling and trying again will fix. IF we can't get it up on the ftp for some reason - contact me after 9pm EDT via ICQ 2243790 and I will get it to you via direct file transfer. [ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 5
- 5/8/2001 12:33:00 AM   
MwR

:rolleyes: Same problem here, I'd prefer a patch, folks. 390MB is too much for a re-download. Even so, that means it'll take days for the tech guys to come up something that enable us to play the game. :(

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-Tung

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 6
- 5/8/2001 12:35:00 AM   
jamiep1

If it is a CRC error & all are getting this on the same file, how can it not be the file itself??? I would think that there would be problems with other files.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 7
- 5/8/2001 12:38:00 AM   
MwR

Mr Vebber, Thank you for the reply in the first place. :) How should we proceed even after we download the Vid998.smk file? Do we just install it to the respective directory or ottherwise? Thank You

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Mao Tse-Tung

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 8
- 5/8/2001 1:24:00 AM   
David Heath

I am making a ZIP version of the Vid999.smk file as we speak.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 9
- 5/8/2001 1:28:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

If I got the file to work with no error , then it can't be the file. I will check it again tonight, but we have been to this fire the last time, there is a chance with a file this size, that bad things can happen in transmission that corrupt the file. If it was happenin toeverybody we would have several hundred posts on this thread... If you get a CRC error on a file and the game otherwise installs OK - ask for the files and we will post them toth FTP or send them to you. If you get the disk2 "request of death" you can try it a few tiems, but it usually means you are outta luck.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 10
- 5/8/2001 1:42:00 AM   
jamiep1

Hey, don't sweat the fire Paul. I was just curious that the same file errored out for people. I understand very well how errors occur & brought up the coincidence. I hope the people downloading now will not experience the same thing so that you don't receive hundreds of posts. That would be an ugly thing. Everyone appreciates the effort put into this by all of the dedicated people. It's a lot of hard work & it's free to any & all. A rare & cherished gift from fellow wargamers to wargamers. Matrix Games has a lot of business coming their way from this grateful gamer. Once again, don't sweat it, I just ask questions when I see em.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 11
- 5/8/2001 2:22:00 AM   
Stukadawg

I experienced the same problem with the vid998.smk file during the installation. I got a #7 kinda CRC sort of error that I understand simply as my computer telling me, "You're not playing this game yet, boy." Until you can post the file for download I'm going to reinstall (I've done it a few times to see if my luck would change, I also unzipped a few times to see if the error was connected to that). I noticed the .pdf file for the manual being extracted during the installation so I'll occupy myself with noting the differences between this and SPIII (aside from the beautiful graphics). This is the way to do it, right? Ignore the file during installation and wait for the zip file that's being put together for us? (lucky gamers we are) My knowledge of computers is limited to what I learned trying to get stubborn games running over the last few years. I wanted to keep this short but I guess its too late for that. Most importantly: Thanks Matrix! I've been wanting this game for a long time and getting it for free just makes it that much sweeter. But will I miss my little blue Panthers?

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 12
- 5/8/2001 3:30:00 AM   
Bandkanon

Can't wait to play...PLEASE PLEASE put the file up soon..!!!!! Thanks

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 13
- 5/8/2001 3:30:00 AM   
jamiep1

For any that have not deleted your previous version of SPWAW, do the following: 1)Using Windows Explorer go to C:\MatrixGames\Steel Panthers World At War*Note below*\Snd\stream *Note: This would be whatever directory you have your other version saved in. I renamed mine SPWAWSaved. 2)Copy vid998.smk to your new 5.0 game at C:\MatrixGames\Steel Panthers World At War\Snd\stream It's quick & dirty but does the job. Replace things with the 5.01 build when available. SPWAW group has done a magnificent job!!!!!! Please take a very well deserved bow after a massive & exhaustive task. It's a thing of beauty. Thank You!!!!!!

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 14
- 5/8/2001 3:37:00 AM   
Don Doom

I had this same problem after DL with DSL connection. I deleted file and replaced with older version. Works pertty good with it. The matrix group out did itself again. Love the new graphixs. :D :D :D

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 15
- 5/8/2001 4:19:00 AM   
Bandkanon

Is the file on the ftp site?? and if so how do I get it?? Thanks for any info

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 16
- 5/8/2001 5:11:00 AM   
Don Doom

No from my 4.5/4.6 ver. on my HD. Hope you have your old ver. :D

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 17
- 5/8/2001 6:26:00 AM   
sg

Please let us know when the file is posted and what the filename is. I had the same problem and I had already run the uninstaller on my load of ver 4.5 so I couldn't copy over the old vid998.smk file. So I sit here looking at the redesigned SPWAW menu screen(which looks great btw) but not being able to play new or old. Thanks in advance, Steve :(

"****, we're in a tight spot!"
Ulysses Everett McGill.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 18
- 5/8/2001 4:25:00 PM   
Fuerte2

It is true, also the zipped version in the Finnish Pelit web site is corrupted. The zip is fine, no CRC errors, but the Spwaw-v50-Internet.exe inside it, it gives a CRC error in vid998.smk when installing. :( Is the same problem in all full installation packages... :confused:

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 19
- 5/8/2001 5:32:00 PM   
Warrior

If you have v4.5 or earlier try copying vid998.smk over to v5.0, this may at least get the game running. Also, try opening the game directly from mech.exe instead of from autorun, as this may work. The vid998.smk file is 60Mb's! I tried to make it available for Forum people via email, but my email server would not send such a large file. If you requested it from me before I deleted the post offering it, I apologize for not being able to supply it.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 20
- 5/8/2001 6:03:00 PM   
zatch

same problem : vid998.smk failure... What can I do??? @+

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 21
- 5/9/2001 3:35:00 AM   
dchilder17

I just finished the second full download. I got the first from Matrix at 12 hours. It didn't work. I just finished the second download from ftp.edome.net which I think is in Finland. I got the full 400Mb in 1hr. 50min. FAST! I deleted all traces of SPWAW and tried a new install. The install failed exactly in the same place as before on the vid998.smk file. This can't be a coincidence. I downloaded the install file from two different places with no transfer errors in either download. The install failed exactly the same in both cases. The file is bad. Afterwards I downloaded the upgrade file and reinstalled 4.5 and applied the 5.0 upgrade. It worked fine. I just wanted the full install to put on CD so I wouldn't have to keep track of both 4.5 and the 5.0 upgrade. Good Luck everybody, --Don

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 22
- 5/9/2001 3:45:00 AM   
BigDuke66

quote:

Originally posted by Don Childers: I just finished the second full download. I got the first from Matrix at 12 hours. It didn't work. I just finished the second download from ftp.edome.net which I think is in Finland. I got the full 400Mb in 1hr. 50min. FAST! I deleted all traces of SPWAW and tried a new install. The install failed exactly in the same place as before on the vid998.smk file. This can't be a coincidence. I downloaded the install file from two different places with no transfer errors in either download. The install failed exactly the same in both cases. The file is bad. Afterwards I downloaded the upgrade file and reinstalled 4.5 and applied the 5.0 upgrade. It worked fine. I just wanted the full install to put on CD so I wouldn't have to keep track of both 4.5 and the 5.0 upgrade. Good Luck everybody, --Don
Use this link http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~cirrus/vid998.zip to get the vid998.smk file. Maybe some day the guys can fix the Problem but till then the vid998.smk file together with the complete 5.0 Download will do it, at least I guess so. cu

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 23
- 5/9/2001 3:59:00 AM   
jamiep1

BigDuke66 - Thanks for getting that link out to folks. I had saved a copy of my previous version and had copied over to 5.0 yesterday. Everything seems to be working fine on mine except for me blundering into a couple of ambushes :D !!!! It's really a nice program & I can't wait for my Mega Campaign disk. A job well done :) !

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 24
- 5/9/2001 5:41:00 AM   
Cirrus

It can't coincidence that all downloads from matrix server fail. There has to be something wrong with it. Maybe you matrix guys could do a new exe file??

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 25
- 5/9/2001 8:03:00 AM   
Panzerleader

Same problem with vid998.smk. Its a no-go and my older version is already deleted. WHAT DO O DO?!?!

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 26
- 5/9/2001 11:01:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

CIrrus posted a limk to the file on the Tech support thread we hope to have it up soon.

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 27
- 5/9/2001 4:07:00 PM   
yoggi

Thanx! Seems to work well with the vid988 I got from the posted link. Shouldn't be wasting more time on writing and start playing... BTW great job to put up the link so soon!

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 28
- 5/9/2001 11:09:00 PM   
johansson

OK i recently downlodad the vid998.smk and placed it in my game folder but that did nott do it i cant start the game. Pleas help i been whit out SP for far to long time by now! Will this be a problem when i get my MC-disk?

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 29
- 5/9/2001 11:13:00 PM   
Cirrus

Well did you put it in the game root folder? Proper place is "gamefolder"/snd/stream [ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: Cirrus ]

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

(in reply to dchilder17)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> vid998.smk failure Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI