Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/10/2005 10:08:34 AM   
Rowly

For many years I have been hoping for a game that re creates the table top battles my friend and I used to play. The total war series came closest but there always seems to be a lack of control at the battle stage. I recently purchased Imperial Glory, hoping it would be an improvement on previous games but I was wrong. There is a frantic deployment, units finish a deployment/engagement and mill around in the last facing. As the controller/general I can't be everywhere at once! If the Ai on my side had Sgts, Captains and so on, who thought for themselves, great, but they don't.

This brings me to IGOUGO or IGOWEGO games. I like the Close combat games but sadly there are no Napoleonic era games.

I would love to find a game on the scale of the Total War/Risk board game (grand strategy) but with the option of fighting the battles when there is an engagement. All this with sumptuous graphics. I have the Tin Soldiers demo of Alexander and I'm impressed.

Will CoG be everything I'm looking for?
Post #: 1
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/10/2005 9:05:46 PM   
Wire

The main problem for me, is that IG is an arcade simulator game of the napoleonic wars. In my opinion is a bad game, because some basic things which must be included in a good tactical game, such as morale, effects of the skill and atributes of the leaders, and other more accurate aspects, like units with a less morale when they are flanked (for example) in this game dont exist.

IG is a good graphic game, but a ghastly tactical simulator game.

I hope Crown of glory, will be a deep and entertaining game about napoleonics wars, with a deeper and more interasting tactical battles. :)

see you ;)

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 2
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/11/2005 1:37:02 AM   
Hanal

I would not drop a penny on IG when this game and Empire in Arms is waiting in the wings...with both games I think you will be well satisfied for quite awhile...of course, being patient for thier release is a completely different matter....

(in reply to Wire)
Post #: 3
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/12/2005 1:44:08 AM   
TheHellPatrol

LOL...i think Imperial Glory is much better than RTW and enjoy it immensely. It has a great Strategic campaign and the battles are great fun in a beautiful, graphically impressive, arcadey kind of way.
To compare COG and IG is like comparing an imported aged French Brie(cheese) with a slice of Kraft.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 4
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/12/2005 4:48:42 AM   
ravinhood

And don't forget Les Grognards, stated over at the wargamer.com as the best napoleonic game ever. lol We shall see.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 5
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/12/2005 12:44:54 PM   
Wire

quote:

Les Grognards

Tha game of Histwar? But It hasnt released yet... it has?

< Message edited by Wire -- 6/12/2005 12:45:23 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/13/2005 1:13:27 AM   
Zap

quote:

imported aged French Brie(cheese) with a slice of Kraft

Which one is the Kraft and which the Brie. in your opinion?

Post #: 7
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/15/2005 9:57:21 PM   
carnifex

apples and oranges

Kraft isn't cheese - it's cheese food

whatever the hell that is :)

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 8
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/15/2005 10:30:36 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

quote:

IG would be Kraft: useful and satisfying when you're hungry. COG: Elegant and more refined...with a more Worldly stature.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 9
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/15/2005 10:34:00 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

apples and oranges

Kraft isn't cheese - it's cheese food

whatever the hell that is :)
Exactly, Imperial Glory isn't a true historical Napoleonic grand strategy game either but it sure beats the hell outa two slices of toasted bread without the "cheese".

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 10
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/15/2005 11:19:39 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rowly

For many years I have been hoping for a game that re creates the table top battles my friend and I used to play. The total war series came closest but there always seems to be a lack of control at the battle stage. I recently purchased Imperial Glory, hoping it would be an improvement on previous games but I was wrong. There is a frantic deployment, units finish a deployment/engagement and mill around in the last facing. As the controller/general I can't be everywhere at once! If the Ai on my side had Sgts, Captains and so on, who thought for themselves, great, but they don't.

I has been tried before, although not by Imperial Glory (which to be fair should be judged according to what it attempts to be - which isn't the game you suggest).

In particular I recall an Amiga game called Napoleon; the Campaigns 1805-1814 (was that a Frank Hunter game?) which was actually rather good - except for one scenario that was completely bugged (this was in the days before downloadable patches, remember). More recently there was Napoleon 1813 which looked as if it had it all, which it pretty much did except that it was single-player only. Which wouldn't have been so bad if the AI wasn't the worst I have ever come across. In my first game, I won playing France despite not bothering with such trivia as recruiting more troops. Putting that down to the fact that it was on "easy", I put the difficulty up to max and won my second game. Having noted a whole AI Prussian Corps wandering up and down the same 50km of road for a whole game year (completely undisturbed by the fact I had sent Davout via that same road to capture Berlin!), I gave up. A shame really, one of the devs turned up on the board to apologise, explain it had been kicked out the door months early and the whole dev team made redundant.

quote:

Will CoG be everything I'm looking for?

I really hope so.

quote:

I have the Tin Soldiers demo of Alexander and I'm impressed.

Go buy it to play while waiting for CoG then. Both Tin Soldiers games are great fun.

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 11
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/21/2005 2:48:40 AM   
Naomi

How about Europa Universalis? One of the scenarios is Napoleon's Ambition. The game, along with the very scenario, came closest to providing me with the kind of fun I could find playing EIA while I found it difficult to assemble 6 more pple for that long-lasting game play of that wonderful board game.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/22/2005 12:15:51 PM   
Smiffus64

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

quote:

IG would be Kraft: useful and satisfying when you're hungry. COG: Elegant and more refined...with a more Worldly stature.

So CoG will be runny and mouldy around the edges? Hmm... ;)

Post #: 13
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 2:51:46 AM   
Erik Rutins

CoG, to me, is more like a fine red wine that has already hit its prime and will only improve with age.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Smiffus64)
Post #: 14
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 7:00:46 AM   
Queeg

I'm having great fun with Imperial Glory, but I'm also looking forward to Crown of Glory. They look like essentially different games to me.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 10:03:19 AM   
bostonrpgmania

To me IG was much better and immersive than RTW or any other total war series
In battles, you might not experience 'war game' feel (lack of morale, lack of detailed control etc) but it is damn fun
and I always thought that war is a hell, not a very carefully manipulated simulation.
Even in IG, troops retreat when they suffered enough

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 16
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 10:04:17 AM   
bostonrpgmania

BTW, is this new game use wego system?
I like we go rather than traditional turn based game

(in reply to bostonrpgmania)
Post #: 17
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 10:59:38 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I has been tried before, although not by Imperial Glory (which to be fair should be judged according to what it attempts to be - which isn't the game you suggest).

Imperial Glory attempts to be shameless copy of Total War series with Nappy flavor, and it fails miserably *even* on that account, and even knowing I wasn't all that pleased by Rome: Total war to start with. Still, RTW is much much better than IG on nearly all accounts.

(That it fails as "realistic" Napoleonic wargame is already obvious, but I agree it never even attempted to be one.)

O.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 18
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 11:04:12 AM   
Spartan07

Guys,

If you have missed HPS Waterloo then you gotta take a look. Its sex on a disk!!!!

Mike - Nego

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 19
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 5:27:18 PM   
Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Imperial Glory attempts to be shameless copy of Total War series with Nappy flavor, and it fails miserably *even* on that account, and even knowing I wasn't all that pleased by Rome: Total war to start with. Still, RTW is much much better than IG on nearly all accounts.

(That it fails as "realistic" Napoleonic wargame is already obvious, but I agree it never even attempted to be one.)

O.

It's a matter of taste, I guess. I think IG is a much better game than RTW. And a very good game in its own right. It has a much better campaign than RTW and I find the battles more interesting and challenging. Although there are several mods that greatly improve RTW (and a Napoleonic mod is in the works), vanilla RTW, with its screeching women, broken naval battles and generally brain-dead AI, was a big step backward in the series.

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 20
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 6:01:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

IG is fun - I'd rather not make comparisons of whether one is better than the other, since that's very subjective. CoG is also a lot of fun and is entirely turn-based and more detailed. To answer the previous question, yes it is "WEGO" or simultaneous orders and simultaneous execution.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 21
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 7:37:02 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg

It's a matter of taste, I guess. I think IG is a much better game than RTW. And a very good game in its own right.
Welcome to the Matrix forums Queeg, i am sure you will find everything you are looking for with Crown Of Glory. You don't know me, but i have had the pleasure of reading your posts in the IG forum and always appreciated your observations and reflections on Imperial Glory. I don't subscribe to their forum, or many others for that matter, but since you are here...Welcome! You might come across another familiar name here at Matrix: Mr. Frag...he is an important VIP at the War in the Pacific forums and apparently appreciates Napoleonic Era games as well.
IG is a great game and i have enjoyed it immensely, but my summer will be spent with COG as i was lucky enough to beta-test it and i probably can't say much more...so...you came to the right place, keep your eyes peeled.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 22
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 7:41:29 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nego

Guys,

If you have missed HPS Waterloo then you gotta take a look. Its sex on a disk!!!!

Hmmm..Waterloo or my Amber Lynn disk tonight....decisions, decisions, decisions...

(in reply to Spartan07)
Post #: 23
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 7:44:34 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Hmmm..Waterloo or my Amber Lynn disk tonight....decisions, decisions, decisions...

Oh, good god man! She's probably collecting social security by now...you need to do some shopping

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 24
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 7:49:11 PM   
Hanal

quote:

quote:

Oh, good god man! She's probably collecting social security by now...you need to do some shopping

LOL...on DVD they never age..............

Post #: 25
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/23/2005 8:34:40 PM   
Queeg

quote:

Welcome to the Matrix forums Queeg, i am sure you will find everything you are looking for with Crown Of Glory. You don't know me, but i have had the pleasure of reading your posts in the IG forum and always appreciated your observations and reflections on Imperial Glory. I don't subscribe to their forum, or many others for that matter, but since you are here...Welcome! You might come across another familiar name here at Matrix: Mr. Frag...he is an important VIP at the War in the Pacific forums and apparently appreciates Napoleonic Era games as well.
IG is a great game and i have enjoyed it immensely, but my summer will be spent with COG as i was lucky enough to beta-test it and i probably can't say much more...so...you came to the right place, keep your eyes peeled.

Good to be aboard. I'm a long-time lurker here.

I do enjoy IG for what it is. Like all games, it has its strengths and weaknesses, but I find it great fun on balance. No use lamenting what a game isn't, if what it is is fun.

Crown of Glory looks to be much of what IG isn't. And that looks fun, too.

Post #: 26
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/25/2005 7:35:15 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I agree with ya! IG is more of a Market game. It'll get kids interested in history(maybe) but it is not history or even military history. But it is "fun" to play.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg

quote:

Good to be aboard. I'm a long-time lurker here.

I do enjoy IG for what it is. Like all games, it has its strengths and weaknesses, but I find it great fun on balance. No use lamenting what a game isn't, if what it is is fun.

Crown of Glory looks to be much of what IG isn't. And that looks fun, too.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 27
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/26/2005 1:17:29 AM   
Warfare1

Everything in CoG looks absolutely stunning: the graphics, the depth, the gameplay...

My only concern so far would be the casualty results I have seen in some of the battles. One side takes NO casualties while the other side suffers something like 30,000 casualties.

It seems like an "all or nothing" consequence of battle.

Surely, even 10,000 routing soldiers firing blindly in all directions are bound to kill at least one enemy soldier...

This reminds me too much of the lop-sided land battles in UV...

Any comments?

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 28
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/26/2005 1:53:40 AM   
Hanal

This was Eric's response to that question....

quote:

Eric, regarding the casuality reports....what type of battle is it that can result in one side receiving 5560 casualties and the other side 0?..I've heard of routs, but this?.....

Not 100% sure as I didn't watch that one, but... if one side was of particularly low morale/supply and was quickly routed at the start of the engagement, the casualties could have been incurred during the rout/pursuit rather than in "normal" battle. Also, forces cut off from LOS/LOC have a greater chance to surrender, which could have caused something like that.

Regards,

- Erik

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 29
RE: Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. - 6/26/2005 1:59:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1
Everything in CoG looks absolutely stunning: the graphics, the depth, the gameplay...

My only concern so far would be the casualty results I have seen in some of the battles. One side takes NO casualties while the other side suffers something like 30,000 casualties.

It seems like an "all or nothing" consequence of battle.

Surely, even 10,000 routing soldiers firing blindly in all directions are bound to kill at least one enemy soldier...

This reminds me too much of the lop-sided land battles in UV...

Any comments?

It's not a problem, keep in mind you're getting glimpses of the game. In actual play I have never had a bloodless battle where both sides fought and there wasn't some kind of surrender.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Will this be the game Imperial Glory isn't. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI