Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

newbie in wargames needing advices!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> newbie in wargames needing advices! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newbie in wargames needing advices! - 1/13/2001 5:50:00 PM   
jorlando

Hi! I'm a newbie in wargames... I didn't played one until SPWAW... the closest to a wargame that I was before, was when I used to play a cardboard game called WAR, that was very popular here in Brazil (very similar to te game RISK). I also don't have any military experience, so terms like OOB seem arcane to me. Since I think to translate SPWAW to Portuguese, I'll need these terms, to correlate them to the Portuguese equivalent, and I need to learn them to play better :-) So, in short, were can I find such type of information? There is something like a military glossary of terms and acronyms? And what should I read to sharpen my strategic skills? I played the tutorial and managed to destroy the German forces in 13 turns... it was a smashing victory, but I used more brute force than strategy, so I lost many units in the process... I also heard that military use to play wargames to learn tatics and combat strategies... SPWAW is one of these games? Sorry for the long post and bad English :-) Thanks for you attention!

Post #: 1
- 1/14/2001 3:27:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hello Your english is alright. A lot of the world of the military might be a surprise to some. I wont suggest any games. I wont suggest any web sites. But if you can find books by a man named Jim Dunnigan you will get all the expert advice you can handle. He has written many books on actual warfare. The man lectures the Israelis (so he must know what he is talking about) I have his books A Quick and Dirty Guide to War, How to Make War, and How to Stop a War. Books like these will give you all the terms and phrases that we wargamers take for granted. Jim Dunnigan is also a famous name in wargame design. Any that dont know his name cant claim to be old time wargamers. ------------------ Winning all the time is as boring as losing all the time

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 2
- 1/14/2001 10:54:00 AM   
degen

jorlando - I suggest you post your question on the SPWAW forum. That forum has many knowledgeable people that can give you suggestions for finding the information you requested. I think I have read posts from some gamers there from Brazil. Be sure to mention that you want help on Portugese translation of terms. As for tactics, I also suggest reading the SPWAW forum. There are many ongoing discussions of tactics. You should also search old posts, particularly those related to campaigns, as tactics as been a recurring topic on the SPWAW forum. Enjoy the game, there are many great scenarios to download and play! Matrix has very dedicated staff and wants to do things right. Btw, your english is great! ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 3
- 1/14/2001 9:19:00 PM   
VictorH

Read and study History!

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 4
- 1/15/2001 3:53:00 AM   
jorlando

Thanks for all the advice! Degen, I crossposted that message do the SPWAW forum, as you said. Les, I found some of the books that you said at Amazon, I have intention to buy some soon... VictorH, about studying History, I like the subject, but I was looking for a direct aproach ;-) I'm not the guy that can read a book about Rommel and start using his tactics in a game! What I'm looking for is to learn the "mechanics" behind a wargame... I as I said, I don't have any experience in wargames!

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 5
- 1/17/2001 12:13:00 AM   
Von Rom

Jorlando: Here is a link to an ONLINE book that will detail the history and mechanics behind wargames. It was written by a guy who made wargames and was editor of Strategy and Tactics wargame magazine. Best of luck! http://www.hyw.com/Books/WargamesHandbook/Contents.htm ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 6
- 1/17/2001 8:55:00 PM   
jorlando

Just what I wanted, Von Rom !!! I´ve already downloaded the book! Thanks a lot!!! :-)))

(in reply to jorlando)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> newbie in wargames needing advices! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI