Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Napoleon's Generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Napoleon's Generals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 4:39:33 AM   
GreenDestiny

Does anyone here think Napoleon... general Ney is overrated in the game and Soult is underrated. As far as I can tell Ney mess it up for Nappy in 1813, 1814, and 1815. But his stats are so high....why?

And can I mod it?

Post #: 1
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 4:43:44 AM   
arichbourg

Ney was better before the retreat from Moscow.

What an awesome game, apparently!

(in reply to GreenDestiny)
Post #: 2
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 4:50:31 AM   
Copper

ney was not a tactician, just a brave, fearless sun of a gun.

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 3
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 4:59:43 AM   
GreenDestiny

quote:

ORIGINAL: arichbourg

Ney was better before the retreat from Moscow.

What an awesome game, apparently!

I thought Ney highlight was the retreat from Moscow.

(in reply to arichbourg)
Post #: 4
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 5:24:29 AM   
GreenDestiny

Can I change the damn generals stats?
And how?…. with sugar on top.

Post #: 5
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 10:01:46 AM   
Naomi

Let's think this way. That the design crew gave so high a set of stats to generals like Ney may lead us to give priority to them while making decisions on commanders. That may in turn reproduce the fact that Napoleon was indeed convinced some of his marshals were superior to, or simply just luckier than, their peers enough to make more use of them or send them to more important theatres of operations. (Napoleon rated his marshals probably more arbitrarily than the designers.)

We should always remember that, while in detailed battles, the generals, along with their attributes, effectively influence merely a single division that they were randomly assigned to at the beginning of a battle; in other words, a superior general can just make his own division more likely to pass checks so the troops can perform better. Even if a very outstanding general may be crippled by such a low rank of his that he can't let his influence (morale rating) spill over to other divisions. That makes generals like Ney less awesome than they appear to. More important is the quality (starting/maximum morale and existing strength) of the divisions themselves, the higher of which allows them to sustain more casualties before breaking off.

Post #: 6
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 10:36:24 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreenDestiny

Does anyone here think Napoleon... general Ney is overrated in the game and Soult is underrated. As far as I can tell Ney mess it up for Nappy in 1813, 1814, and 1815. But his stats are so high....why?

I think Soult's stats are too low compared with everybody. Ney may score a little high as a tactician, but I'm not even sure about that. He made a few high profile cock-ups, most famously at Waterloo, but far more tactically astute generals than him made mistakes on more than one occasion (Robert E Lee springs to mind) without their reputations (and "stats" if you like ) suffering unduly.

Ney was also a very different man after 1812; hardly surprising really.

Post #: 7
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 2:01:24 PM   
Reg Pither

quote:

And can I mod it?

Yes, I agree. Ney was a 'hot and cold' type of leader who could be brilliant one day and useless the next. Soult, on the other hand, was far more consistent and dependable. I don't mind Ney being highly rated in the game as much as I think Soult is vastly underrated.

Post #: 8
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 3:31:17 PM   
the_GOD_among_men

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi

Let's think this way. That the design crew gave so high a set of stats to generals like Ney may lead us to give priority to them while making decisions on commanders. That may in turn reproduce the fact that Napoleon was indeed convinced some of his marshals were superior to, or simply just luckier than, their peers enough to make more use of them or send them to more important theatres of operations. (Napoleon rated his marshals probably more arbitrarily than the designers.)

But Napoleon was not convinced that Ney was better than all of his marshals or even one of the best of his marshals. He did describe Ney as a blockhead. Napoleon valued Ney for his courage and valour not for his tactical abilities. Until Waterloo Ney was only used to command at the corps level, not of the entire force as at waterloo.

Soult should have overall better stats then Ney.

How does the rating system in CoG work?

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 9
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 3:36:51 PM   
the_GOD_among_men

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg Pither

quote:

And can I mod it?

Yes, I agree. Ney was a 'hot and cold' type of leader who could be brilliant one day and useless the next. Soult, on the other hand, was far more consistent and dependable. I don't mind Ney being highly rated in the game as much as I think Soult is vastly underrated.

imo Ney was neither brilliant nor useless. Ney in the right situation, where he wasnt making major decisions and was following orders was very useful. His tenacity and stubbornness could be essential in a battle. However Ney never had the necessary talent to assume overall command and orchestrate a battle.

(in reply to Reg Pither)
Post #: 10
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 3:39:32 PM   
the_GOD_among_men

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Ney was also a very different man after 1812; hardly surprising really.

I never bought into that whole Ney was never the same man theory. Ney was the man he always was. He just wasnt cut out for the job Napoleon gave him at Waterloo.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 11
RE: Napoleon's Generals - 7/3/2005 3:42:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

The ratings of the commanders in each scenario are easily moddable if you want to create your own variant. Just take a look through the text files for each scenario, there is one with all the commanders. I would recommend backing up any files before you mod them though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to the_GOD_among_men)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Napoleon's Generals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI