Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Save Crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Save Crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Save Crash - 9/17/2001 12:51:00 AM   
James P

Following on from my bug report found in thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000289 I uninstalled the entire game, including manual deletion of the directories etc. I upgraded to the latest version of Direct X and video card drivers, then installed version 6.1 of the game. I still get a crash back to the Windows 98 desktop when I click on the save icon during solitaire games. When playing PBEM games, the game auto saves fine when finishing my turn..... Any ideas on: 1) Why I'm getting the crash.
2) What's the difference between the PBEM save process and the Solitaire save process, as one works, the other doesn't? Currently means I can only play PBEM games, and not solitaire. I have tried deleting the .prf file, and also running the game without sound with no success. Thanks in advance,

Cheers, JP
Post #: 1
- 9/17/2001 4:31:00 AM   
Supervisor

Try running the game directly from the mech.exe file and see if that helps any.

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 2
- 9/17/2001 11:30:00 AM   
tracer

I haven't checked this board in a while and I see you've posted quite a few times regarding game crashes. Have you checked to see if any programs are running in the backround when SPWAW is launched?

Jim NSB

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 3
- 9/21/2001 5:24:00 PM   
James P

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
I haven't checked this board in a while and I see you've posted quite a few times regarding game crashes. Have you checked to see if any programs are running in the backround when SPWAW is launched?
Firstly, thanks for the suggestions above. I have been launching the game directly from the mech file, and as for programs running in the background, I have Norton Anti Virus 2001. I did try diabling this, but still got the crash, however..... Right, figure this out. Having manually deleted my install and started from scratch by installed 5.1 complete, then rebooting, installing 5.2, then rebooting, installing 5.2 > 5.3, then rebooting, installing 5.3 > 6.1, I STILL got the same problems: § Crash on solitaire save, and
§ Crash on PBEM setup password entry Getting bored of only ever playing 5 minute PBEM turns, I decided to revert back to 5.1 and see if I could play the older version of the game without the crashes. Low and behold I could. No problem fighting the AI and saving. Plucking up courage, I upgraded to Version 5.2. Yet again I could play without the crash. Intrigued, I upgraded to 5.3, success! Then I took the plunge and went to 6.1. So far after 15 turns of the opening Stalingrad Campaign scenario I’m still ok saving. Now can anyone explain the logic behind this? If I install each patch and play a partial game before upgrading to each additional version I seem to play without any errors (so far, fingers crossed), BUT if I install each patch and reboot one after another, my game is totally unstable Not that I’m superstitious, but I feel like if I post this, my PC will see the post and tell my copy of SPWaW to go into melt down

Cheers, JP

(in reply to James P)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Save Crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI