Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cannot Run SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Cannot Run SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot Run SPWAW - 10/5/2001 8:34:00 PM   
Croaker

I have downloaded copies of the SPWAW file from several sources. Each install comes up with the introduction running and then reverting to the desktop or the start screen. When I try to run it from Explorer I get the message: "DDRAW.DLL File Cannot Start" Well I cannot locate any such file in the Matrix Games directory. I have also encountered this problem when I have installed the game from the MegaCampaign disk. Where is this "DDRAW.DLL" file supposed to be located? Is it part of Windows? (I am running Win 98se and recently replaced my C: drive. This required a reinstall of al the system software. In the old install SPWAW ran pretty good.)

Croaker
Post #: 1
- 10/5/2001 9:43:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

It is part of teh DIrectDraw library of DIrect x. This message means your installation of Direct x is either incomplete, obsolete or corrupted.

(in reply to Croaker)
Post #: 2
- 10/5/2001 10:26:00 PM   
Larry Holt

You can get DirectX support in the Microsoft Knowledge base. Try looking at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/4/30.asp for error codes. There is a way to test your install from the install directory but I have forgotten how. You should be able to find out in the MS KB.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Croaker)
Post #: 3
- 10/5/2001 11:07:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt:
You can get DirectX support in the Microsoft Knowledge base. Try looking at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/4/30.asp for error codes. There is a way to test your install from the install directory but I have forgotten how. You should be able to find out in the MS KB.
You test with DXDIAG.exe. As I recall SPWAW needs at least DX6 to run, though it runs fine with dx8 and did so with dx7a.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Croaker)
Post #: 4
- 10/9/2001 9:09:00 PM   
Croaker

Thank you for the help on this. I installed the DirectX drivers and everything worked great!

Croaker

(in reply to Croaker)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Cannot Run SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI