Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/8/2005 10:19:33 PM   
ahauschild

Well, I have put allot of hours in this campaign so far, and can tell you that it has the most amusing outcome so far.

I started in the early game with Sweden, figuring it would help me learn properly if I had only a few entrys into my country to guard.

All whent well, I captured and secured all of the swedish areas, capped the entrance with two armys and proceded to take Danemark. (never liked them anyway) But they of course turned to russia as their protector. No problem, russian troops are of low moral in general and easy battles with russia followed. Finaly Russian surrendered to Sweden. Also in a strange twist of fate, Poland decided they wanted to be part of the Swedish and joined us, allowing Sweden to claim Empire status.
This of course did not go so well with the Prussians, and they slowly made incursions into poland. I could not support them as I had no access rights through Russia and could in fact not reinforce Polands struggle. (The oceans where ruled by the French)

Next strange thing that happend, I had a army of 160k Turks show up on my north eastern provinces. My army of 45k Sweds easily routed the almost exclusive army of militia of the field. Pretty much any Turk unit that received a volley of fire disordered and a turn later routed. Each following month the Ottoman Empire keept throwing increasing numbers of peasents at me, possibly in the hopes that I would run out of gunpowder, as their units never once made it into melee range. The mass graves of 40k dead turks where causing the landscape to change. The slaughter was unbelievable. This whent on for about 6 month, with me beating back combined armys of Turks with up to 200k against my still strong 45k armys. Each battle grew more and more bloody, my units devoring by the thousands the divisions that routed before them.
Finaly the Turks surrendered to Sweden, giving us a unreachable province south of Russia. All this time I still could not send troops to aid the Polish struggle, as the Russians refused to give me access through their country, and since I was bount by surrender treaty not to attack them.

Overall the Ottoman Empire dropped from 3rd place in the Glory running to last by futialy attempting to attack the Swedish Empire. The russians have now declared war on me again, but against units that have seen so many battles, (most have moral 7.9) their corsacks have no chance. My first brush with real troops, the Prussians was also rather disapointing, as they did last longer on the field of battle, but overall still broke before even putting a dent into my Elite Troops.

I suspect that Russia will surrender again soon, this time with me securing access through them. The long struggle to free Poland from Prussian oppression is on the Horizzont, and I suspect that the Swedish Armys will fair very well, especialy since the addition of a newly formed guard unit will join my two main armys.

(Overall the game is allot of fun, but some of the political results from surrenders are very .....ahh...suprising. Also for countrys like the Turks to devote so many troops to invade Sweden, having to move and supply through all of Russia to get to me did seem a bit far fetched. Sweden was a somewhat major player in Napoleanic times, but a major conflict such as Sweden against Turky and the joining of all of poland with the Sweds did seem a bit......unique.)

Also, I hate the crash bug in manual battles. Often I go through 3 or 4 battles in a turn, just to have the game crash in the last of the 1 to 2 hour battles and wipe out a total of 6 to 8 hours of game time.
Post #: 1
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/8/2005 10:57:11 PM   
Mr. Z

quote:

Also, I hate the crash bug in manual battles. Often I go through 3 or 4 battles in a turn, just to have the game crash in the last of the 1 to 2 hour battles and wipe out a total of 6 to 8 hours of game time.

Some people have reported that uploading the most recent drivers for your video card and defragmeting your hard drive have eliminated the CTD error in detailed combat. Might be worth a try. Check the Support forum for more details.

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 2
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/8/2005 11:00:09 PM   
ahauschild

Tried that, running pretty much the latest drivers all the times. Also changed resolution and such. Have not found a trend yet. I can go 10 battles in a row after reboot, no problem, or I can go 1 battle and puff. The consistend thing is that once it does happen, it does not seem to go away and only quick battle will get you through. Will try to get a save game saved to send to support next time it happens.

(in reply to Mr. Z)
Post #: 3
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/8/2005 11:35:48 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: ahauschild

Well, I have put allot of hours in this campaign so far, and can tell you that it has the most amusing outcome so far.

I started in the early game with Sweden, figuring it would help me learn properly if I had only a few entrys into my country to guard.

All whent well, I captured and secured all of the swedish areas, capped the entrance with two armys and proceded to take Danemark. (never liked them anyway) But they of course turned to russia as their protector. No problem, russian troops are of low moral in general and easy battles with russia followed. Finaly Russian surrendered to Sweden. Also in a strange twist of fate, Poland decided they wanted to be part of the Swedish and joined us, allowing Sweden to claim Empire status.
This of course did not go so well with the Prussians, and they slowly made incursions into poland. I could not support them as I had no access rights through Russia and could in fact not reinforce Polands struggle. (The oceans where ruled by the French)

Next strange thing that happend, I had a army of 160k Turks show up on my north eastern provinces. My army of 45k Sweds easily routed the almost exclusive army of militia of the field. Pretty much any Turk unit that received a volley of fire disordered and a turn later routed. Each following month the Ottoman Empire keept throwing increasing numbers of peasents at me, possibly in the hopes that I would run out of gunpowder, as their units never once made it into melee range. The mass graves of 40k dead turks where causing the landscape to change. The slaughter was unbelievable. This whent on for about 6 month, with me beating back combined armys of Turks with up to 200k against my still strong 45k armys. Each battle grew more and more bloody, my units devoring by the thousands the divisions that routed before them.
Finaly the Turks surrendered to Sweden, giving us a unreachable province south of Russia. All this time I still could not send troops to aid the Polish struggle, as the Russians refused to give me access through their country, and since I was bount by surrender treaty not to attack them.

Overall the Ottoman Empire dropped from 3rd place in the Glory running to last by futialy attempting to attack the Swedish Empire. The russians have now declared war on me again, but against units that have seen so many battles, (most have moral 7.9) their corsacks have no chance. My first brush with real troops, the Prussians was also rather disapointing, as they did last longer on the field of battle, but overall still broke before even putting a dent into my Elite Troops.

I suspect that Russia will surrender again soon, this time with me securing access through them. The long struggle to free Poland from Prussian oppression is on the Horizzont, and I suspect that the Swedish Armys will fair very well, especialy since the addition of a newly formed guard unit will join my two main armys.

(Overall the game is allot of fun, but some of the political results from surrenders are very .....ahh...suprising. Also for countrys like the Turks to devote so many troops to invade Sweden, having to move and supply through all of Russia to get to me did seem a bit far fetched. Sweden was a somewhat major player in Napoleanic times, but a major conflict such as Sweden against Turky and the joining of all of poland with the Sweds did seem a bit......unique.)

Going through a very similiar thing right now. Im Spain and Russian is throwing thousands upon thousands at my Spanish/French border (we are both allied with the French). So thats my entire game right now. Im just a wall against hordes of Russians. I wish there was a way I could get the French to stop giving them passage!

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 4
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/8/2005 11:39:34 PM   
ahauschild

You could try for them to break alliance and then declare war against the Russians. I also think the compute AI should put country in a thread category according to range from their home lands. This way countries like Sweden and Turkey and Spain and Russia would in general be more tolerant to negative political actions against each other, as for logistical purposes they would almost never wage this type of long distance war. Unless maybe as part of an Alliance Package.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/9/2005 12:04:08 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

You could try for them to break alliance and then declare war against the Russians. I also think the compute AI should put country in a thread category according to range from their home lands. This way countries like Sweden and Turkey and Spain and Russia would in general be more tolerant to negative political actions against each other, as for logistical purposes they would almost never wage this type of long distance war. Unless maybe as part of an Alliance Package.

what are some of the best ways to get countries to do this? France has the best attitude toward me but i cant seem to get them to agree to anything....

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 6
RE: Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire - 7/10/2005 8:56:25 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

what are some of the best ways to get countries to do this? France has the best attitude toward me but i cant seem to get them to agree to anything....

ok wait i just found out! just switch the order of the names!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Sweden The rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI