Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fiasco at Davao

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Fiasco at Davao Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 12:52:50 AM   
Tophat

Ever pull a defeat out of victory?

Night Time Surface Combat, near Davao at 41,61

Japanese Ships
MSW Wa 10, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
MSW Wa 14
ML Yaeyama, Shell hits 41, and is sunk
AP Africa Maru
AP Anrugu Maru
AP Astuga Maru
AP Atsuta Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
AP Dainiunyo Maru
AP Eiko Maru, Shell hits 14, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AP Gotake Maru
AP Gyoko Maru
AP Hakone Maru
AP Hie Maru, Shell hits 25, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hiyoshi Maru

Allied Ships
CA Houston
CL Marblehead
CL Boise
DD Barker
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart
DD Scout
DD Thanet
DD Thracian

Drove off the jap landing TF,but after they droppedoff the Brigade landing force. My ships dutifully docked in port to refuel,while the JAPS dutifully took the port through ground assault.
End result my taskforce scuttles to prevent capture!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 12:58:30 AM   
Terminus

That's one of those times where you don't know if you want to laugh or cry. Sorry about that, Tophat!

< Message edited by Terminus -- 7/17/2005 1:00:33 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 2
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 12:59:13 AM   
mc3744

oh boy!!!!

Nec recisa recedit

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 3
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 1:01:40 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Ouch.

Maybe your ships were trying to block up the port. :)

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 4
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 1:07:33 AM   
Terminus

That would be some expensive blockships!

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 5
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 2:19:02 AM   
Drex

His crews were caught with their pants down in the local bordellos.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 2:36:37 AM   
witpqs

I thought that TF's were supposed to sortie and only ships disbanded in port were supposed to scuttle?

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 7
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 9:38:47 AM   
Tophat

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I thought that TF's were supposed to sortie and only ships disbanded in port were supposed to scuttle?

I thought so as well..........but alas such is life! Makes things more interesting and perversly I do like interesting!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 10:48:44 PM   
AlexCobra

Hi!

Do this 'scuttle' feature appeared in latest patches? 'Cause in earlier games (if I remember it right) I saw ships running for their lives from occupied ports... though there was a weird thing - seems like they all do it from port... As I suppose, it can be more realistic, if some ships will escape, and some do not... as in real life...

Well, anyway, very strange decision - to scuttle the precious ships (Allies didn't have much of them in Indonesia) without direct threat of capturing... and I don't think there was treat like that - all in all, some ships can do the runaway - remember the North Atlantic convoys history (when the transports were left without cover after British Admiralitry order - even there some ships escaped!). Seems like usual Allied defence doctrine: " Alarm! Recon said the Japs just occupied the town! Scuttle the ships! Save yourself!"...

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 9
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/17/2005 11:47:31 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat

Ever pull a defeat out of victory?

Night Time Surface Combat, near Davao at 41,61

Japanese Ships
MSW Wa 10, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
MSW Wa 14
ML Yaeyama, Shell hits 41, and is sunk
AP Africa Maru
AP Anrugu Maru
AP Astuga Maru
AP Atsuta Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
AP Dainiunyo Maru
AP Eiko Maru, Shell hits 14, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AP Gotake Maru
AP Gyoko Maru
AP Hakone Maru
AP Hie Maru, Shell hits 25, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hiyoshi Maru

Allied Ships
CA Houston
CL Marblehead
CL Boise
DD Barker
DD Bulmer
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Stewart
DD Scout
DD Thanet
DD Thracian

Drove off the jap landing TF,but after they droppedoff the Brigade landing force. My ships dutifully docked in port to refuel,while the JAPS dutifully took the port through ground assault.
End result my taskforce scuttles to prevent capture!!!

Did you have the Davao set as the ships homebase??? If you have another base set as home and send them to Davao they should stay in the sea...also set to do not retire...

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 10
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 2:38:33 AM   
Tophat

I was set to "patrol do not retire',their homebase was the Island of Jolo!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 4:28:42 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexCobra

Hi!

Do this 'scuttle' feature appeared in latest patches? 'Cause in earlier games (if I remember it right) I saw ships running for their lives from occupied ports... though there was a weird thing - seems like they all do it from port... As I suppose, it can be more realistic, if some ships will escape, and some do not... as in real life...

Well, anyway, very strange decision - to scuttle the precious ships (Allies didn't have much of them in Indonesia) without direct threat of capturing... and I don't think there was treat like that - all in all, some ships can do the runaway - remember the North Atlantic convoys history (when the transports were left without cover after British Admiralitry order - even there some ships escaped!). Seems like usual Allied defence doctrine: " Alarm! Recon said the Japs just occupied the town! Scuttle the ships! Save yourself!"...

There was a similar incident discussed on the forum a couple of months back. Careful reading of the rules says the if your ships are DOCKED and the base is taken, there is a CHANCE that your ships will be scuttled. I don't know how good the chance is, but apparently it is a pretty good one.

(in reply to AlexCobra)
Post #: 12
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 1:02:23 PM   
AlexCobra

Hi!

rtrapasso wrote:

quote:

There was a similar incident discussed on the forum a couple of months back. Careful reading of the rules says the if your ships are DOCKED and the base is taken, there is a CHANCE that your ships will be scuttled. I don't know how good the chance is, but apparently it is a pretty good one.

Well, what do u mean by "chance"? What I usually mean, is that it's a kind of dice roll, where possible outcomes are decided... so there must be, let's say, positive and negative outcomes. But Tophat said that ALL his ships were scuttled - all 10 ships. Well, I don't know the possibility of negative outcomes rolling 10 from 10, but AFAI think, it's a very, very... very tiny figure. Or there can be something other circumstances involved and the AI decided that the ships are doomed... kinda mass suicide. Tired of sailing the seas.

Alex.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 13
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 1:54:08 PM   
michaelm75au

Hi
it has been my experience that if a TF is in a base which is captured, it will try to escape. However, this may be dependent on the fuel/endurance/damage of the TF.
If ships are not part of a TF ie in port, then there is a chance that they may be scuttled (although I must admit I have not yet seen a non-sub ship escape being scuttled. What sort of TF do they form if they do escape?).

In the latest case I had a transport TF docked when the base was captured. The TF was still there after but with a HomeBase of another port.

Michael

< Message edited by michaelm -- 7/18/2005 1:56:06 PM >

(in reply to AlexCobra)
Post #: 14
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 3:54:21 PM   
mogami

Hi, I don't think the TF was supposed to even check for scuttle. I have always thought only disbanded ships could scuttle on base capture.
Frag where are you?

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 15
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 3:55:13 PM   
Terminus

He's setting up in his Unabomber shack, up in Armpit of the World, BC.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 16
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 4:07:53 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, I don't think the TF was supposed to even check for scuttle. I have always thought only disbanded ships could scuttle on base capture.
Frag where are you?

Yeah - i had thought that too, until the last argument about this. I was surprised when i looked up the rule and it said DOCKED TFs could be scuttled. Now, i could be wrong about this, but it is a simple thing to look up (put in keyword scuttle in the PDF file search) if you should happen to have a copy of the rules on the computer you are working on*...

As for what do i mean by CHANCE they could be scuttled - this is what the rule book said, iirc, (not what i mean). I suspect it does a dice roll on the whole TF, not individual ships. The last argument this was about was when several US carriers were scuttled in a similar event.

EDIT: *which i don't happen to have at the moment.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/18/2005 4:08:59 PM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 17
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 4:34:56 PM   
AlexCobra

quote:

As for what do i mean by CHANCE they could be scuttled - this is what the rule book said, iirc, (not what i mean). I suspect it does a dice roll on the whole TF, not individual ships. The last argument this was about was when several US carriers were scuttled in a similar event.

Well, if the dice roll apply to entire TF, it can explain the situation... but from any point of view, this action seems underproved (is it legitime word?) a lot. I can picture out the situation, but still the main problem still exist: Surface Combat TF was scuttled in without sensitive explanation. Just what do u think, was this a VERY unlucky incident or an AI bug?

Alex.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 18
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 4:49:05 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexCobra

quote:

Well, if the dice roll apply to entire TF, it can explain the situation... but from any point of view, this action seems underproved (is it legitime word?) a lot. I can picture out the situation, but still the main problem still exist: Surface Combat TF was scuttled in without sensitive explanation. Just what do u think, was this a VERY unlucky incident or an AI bug?

Alex.

Well, not a bug, since i think it is working (more or less) as designed.

Personally - i think it is a "glitch" - a feature that has consequences that were unintended by the designers.

In my opinion, this is a bad rule. There might be some feature like a chance that warships are damaged on trying to escape, or that there is a chance that merchants ships are scuttled. But to have CVs, or CAs (or BBs, etc.) scuttled because the AI decided it needed to top off some fuel tanks (or some other reason that the ships happened to be at dock, or even in port) is just craziness.

(in reply to AlexCobra)
Post #: 19
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 5:19:29 PM   
Sardaukar

When they docked to be refuelled and re-armed they never noticed that all dock workers had slanted eyes ?
"Why do our dockworkers look like Japanese and are dressed in strange uniforms ??"

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 20
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/18/2005 5:28:58 PM   
Terminus

"And why are they pointing those awfully big cannons at us? We'd better scuttle while we can!"

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 21
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 3:34:35 PM   
Yamato hugger

My .02 for what its worth.

If the TF had docked, they probably would have had 1000 op points spent since they had engaged in surface combat and would have been reloading ammo also which is an automatic 1000. Since they had no op points left, then they had nothing left to move with when base fell and poof they scuttle.

But another observation: The forces that may have landed from that TF are NOT the ones that took the base. There HAD to be troops there already, since Davao isnt an atoll. Chalk that up to experience. Never dock in a port that you are going to lose.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 22
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 3:54:40 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

My .02 for what its worth.

If the TF had docked, they probably would have had 1000 op points spent since they had engaged in surface combat and would have been reloading ammo also which is an automatic 1000. Since they had no op points left, then they had nothing left to move with when base fell and poof they scuttle.

But another observation: The forces that may have landed from that TF are NOT the ones that took the base. There HAD to be troops there already, since Davao isnt an atoll. Chalk that up to experience. Never dock in a port that you are going to lose.

Good advice - but the problem with it is the player said he did not order them to dock - he ordered a TF with a different home port to engage an enemy transport TF at Davao. The docking came at the initiative of the AI.

I have seen TFs dock and refuel despite lacking specific orders to do so. This can be very frustrating, esp after the TF has just docked and refueled the turn before, and then uses up 1000 OP points the NEXT turn doing the same thing. I have not really been able to find a rhyme or reason for the repeat performance, or in some cases why the original docking takes place.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 23
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 9:34:44 PM   
tabpub

But he gave them the P/DNR order , so they did that instead of returning to the HB, which was Jolo as I recall.

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 24
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 9:40:08 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

But he gave them the P/DNR order , so they did that instead of returning to the HB, which was Jolo as I recall.

True - but that isn't quite the same as docking, and if you want to protect a port this is about the best you can do. Perhaps this might have been prevented if the DO NOT REFUEL option was checked? I don't know if this would have prevented replenishment of ammo...

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 25
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 9:52:40 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Yaeh, this is completely weird. Never seen this. Hopefully it is possible to fix.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 26
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/19/2005 10:59:13 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

True - but that isn't quite the same as docking, and if you want to protect a port this is about the best you can do. Perhaps this might have been prevented if the DO NOT REFUEL option was checked? I don't know if this would have prevented replenishment of ammo...

No, its true, it isnt. But it is far more likely to dock on a DNR order. He also didnt say what the fuel status was before heading in to Davao, that too would play a part on if it docks or not even if he had a return order.

Edit: I dont know if the "do not refuel" would have prevented it. Im guessing it would have.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 7/19/2005 11:01:02 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 27
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/20/2005 12:10:59 AM   
Tophat

We had made a highspeed run from Jolo to Davao,so I'm thinkin the destroyers were thirsty. But there is noway in my most drugenduced dreams i expected them to flippin scuttle!

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 28
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/20/2005 12:19:04 AM   
Bradley7735

Tophat,

You should post this on the support forum. This smells of a bug. I think Mogami is correct in that only disbanded ships scuttle when the base is captured. This shouldn't happen. I think Mike/Joel would agree.

If you get them to notice, they might fix the game in v1.7 for us. (you might be screwed for now, though)

I'd ask your opponent for a re-do on the last turn. See if it happens again. Or maybe even change your orders for the 1 task force in question, but leave the rest of the orders as is.

bc

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Tophat)
Post #: 29
RE: Fiasco at Davao - 7/20/2005 12:20:49 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

Tophat,

You should post this on the support forum. This smells of a bug. I think Mogami is correct in that only disbanded ships scuttle when the base is captured. This shouldn't happen. I think Mike/Joel would agree.

If you get them to notice, they might fix the game in v1.7 for us. (you might be screwed for now, though)

I'd ask your opponent for a re-do on the last turn. See if it happens again. Or maybe even change your orders for the 1 task force in question, but leave the rest of the orders as is.

bc

Well - this did happen in the past (except CVs were scuttled) and was investigated. Do a search for scuttle in the PDF version of the rules, and it should pop up.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Fiasco at Davao Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI