Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A brave new Allied CinC....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/24/2005 5:48:55 PM   
PzB74

Hi Pauk,

I will post a screenie when I get the first turn back from Nomad.
I'm already researching the Zeke pretty heavily, 121 ac pr month!

As to supplies: I'm not swimming in it. I've been forced to order a large expanse in engine production as I found
that the increase in ac production cause me to produce 200 fewer Nakajima (or was it Mitsubishi) engines pr month than I need

Large cargo tf's have been sent to bases with surplus supplies in order to enable me to stack supplies in my frontline bases.
One good thing: a large convoy will go to Karachi and pick up 400k supplies! Oh joy
Have to spend this reserve wisely - not sure dumping it in the Home Islands is the best approach. Somehow everything I drop here is sucked
dry in no time....

Cookie! It wasn't me this time: Dave quit because he overdid it and played too much WitP. The obligations became too much
and prevented him from doing all the other things he enjoys in life.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 931
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/24/2005 7:33:03 PM   
Zecke

Ok, and good news, that you decided to keep on going, also i think is a tribute for all the efforts from david too

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 932
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 5:08:53 AM   
PzB74

I've played the first turn against Nomad...unfortuately things are not all ok.
Combat animations are back on but the combat.txt report is still off. This will make it difficult to
update this AAR.

Even worse: the AI has hijacked one of my divisions, the 55th. This division was originally in Burma and
is still preparing for Mandalay. It's now on Jaluit, a small atoll in the South Pacific

The 48th Division was originally in the hex just south of Mandalay and is no completely gone. It is not
even on the map!! I've searched all over for it

I'll open a thread on the support forum - but this isn't good and we may have to go back to the last turn me
and Dave played before upgradig to V1.5.

Take a look at the pictures in this and the next post and let me know what you think....
They should have made me a beta tester: if there is a bug, I'll find it...or vice versa!-(

The 55th 'Ghost Division'

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 933
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 5:10:33 AM   
PzB74

The Ghost Division in Burma...

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 934
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 5:36:45 AM   
PzB74

Nomad just told me that hasn't upgraded to V1.6 yet
This may explain the problems but I've suggested to rever to the January 3rd turn. The last one I played in V1.5.
When I receive Nomads reply I will upgrade the OOB and send it back to him. He will then play it after upgrading to V1.6

Gawd this is such a mess!
Could have done without this last patch.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 935
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 5:45:04 PM   
PzB74

I've now played the 4th of January turn over again for the 3rd time...argh!
This was the last turn David sent to me before he upgraded to V1.6.

So I've added the OOB changes after turning on all the right settings.
Nomad will play the combat replay before upgrading to V1.6 as well and then we should finally
be back on track.

Something is still iffy though! My 48th Division was still in Burma this time, but the 55th has been
'teleported' to Jaluit I don't understand how this could happend? I hope the next few turns will
work out because all of this is starting to get frustrating.

I will ask Nomad for a truce in the Marshalls so that I can pick up my division in a few days and
ship it back to Burma

My naval bombers hit 5-6 transports outside of New Guinea today...I won't - or can't post a more
detailed report as the combat.txt is gone for at least another turn or two!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 936
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 7:00:28 PM   
CapAndGown

Rather than waste time shipping it there, have Frag fix your file for you.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 937
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 7:35:05 PM   
PzB74

I have sent the files to Frag... Hope he can fix it.
The 48th Div had dissappeared when I openend the next turn from Nomad.
At least I've been able to provide Frag with fresh evidence

The combat.txt report is back, I assume that combat animations will be back in yet another turn.
So all that's left to figure out - at least for now - is the two 'rogue' divisions in Burma.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 938
RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... - 6/25/2005 7:38:46 PM   
PzB74

I'm a little hesitant giving to many orders...or adding too much to this AAR as I still
don't know whether things will work out or not. Anyway, here's the January 5th report!

Edited some of the less interesting bombing attacks! Nomad is trying to tie up all the loose ends
and I'm happy to go easy with him for a little while.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/05/43

Surface Combat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1022 encounters mine field at Kiriwina Island (57,93)

Allied Ships
DMS Perry
DMS Dorsey
DMS Trevor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1030 encounters mine field at Goodenough island (56,93)

Allied Ships
DD Van Galen
DD Russell

Air Combat

Day Air attack on Kweiyang , at 41,35

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
Ki-27 Nate x 18
Ki-48 Lily x 80

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 2 destroyed

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 67

Aircraft Attacking:
All Ki-48 Lily bombing at 15000 feet
Day Air attack on Mandalay , at 33,30

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
Ki-21 Sally x 48

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
55 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 29

Aircraft Attacking:
All Ki-21 Sally bombing at 10000 feet
Day Air attack on Taung Gyi , at 33,32

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 10
Wellington III x 9

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Wellington III: 1 damaged

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombers bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Dobodura at 55,91

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK George Vancouver

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 939
Rangoon to Jaluiat and back in 2 days... - 6/26/2005 3:54:22 AM   
PzB74

Here's the latest update from the fronts....

Frag took a look at the turn and gave the following statement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here is the original turn with 55th moved back to Rangoon.

Please use it and flip me the next turn where the 48th vanishes. As it is still here in this one, I can't fix it yet.

It is the Japanese side, just after order execution with the settings right. Do *NOT* use the 1.6 upgrade option on the Prefs screen as it will not work well with a game this old.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I understand it it is not possible to upgrade the OOB in V1.6 for games that have been started in V1.2 or older.
The good thing is that Frag has fixed things and we're on our way again. The 55th Div has completed it roundtrip from Rangoon to Jaluit
and back in less than 48 hours! Tomorrow we'll see whether the 48th Div dissappears or not. If it does the Gestapo will track down the
deserters and feed them back to the mosquitos outside Mandalay....

The bad thing is that I had to prepare January 5th for the fourth time

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 940
RE: Rangoon to Jaluiat and back in 2 days... - 6/27/2005 5:29:47 AM   
1275psi

sounds like this happened to a lot of people.
poor frag

A thought for frag- all these games he will see must give him a good idea of how a lot of players approach tactics

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 941
RE: Rangoon to Jaluiat and back in 2 days... - 6/27/2005 3:49:02 PM   
Lord_Calidor

I've noticed that in post-India ops you may be using KB a bit too conservatively, sitting at Truk and awaiting opportunities.
My suggestion is, while you still can (soon you'll be swamped with Corsairs, Hellcats and P47's, and from what I saw from AARs it doesn't matter how expirienced IJN pilots are, facing mid-expirienced Allied pilots, let's say around 60-70s, in modern planes), go on a raid behind his lines. Don't send all CVs, just enough to beat his CVs if they come to the party. Keep the rest close to frontline bases.
For example, go raid his merchant lines between PH-East Coast, or down between PH and Noumea/NZ/Australia, just keep out of his medium LBA range.

Besides bagging some supplies, troops, damaged ships going to repairs or reinforcement ships coming to hot areas, or even catching some air groups crated on AKs, you could benefit from this two-fold:
- showing the KB far from your bases may provoke him to come forward in the 18in Type91 torpedo alley, and AFAIR he doesn't pose much of a threat (yet) outside his LBA range;
- forcing him to better protect his convoys by pulling some combat ships away from front lines, and to be paranoic about your next KB move, maybe even to stop sending war material for a while.

I don't know if you have a house rule about swapping carrier squadrons, because you could as well soon see Corsairs on CVs, and with all those Essex CVs on the way (even with their standard air groups) ...doesn't look good.

So this could as well be KB's swansong, before the turkey shoot.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 942
RE: Rangoon to Jaluiat and back in 2 days... - 6/29/2005 4:02:55 AM   
PzB74

We're having an extended ceasefire so the 'ghost division' bug can be fixed.
Both me and Ken are tired of playing the same turn over and over again....

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 943
50k hits : ) - 6/29/2005 4:04:50 AM   
PzB74

Just noticed that we've passed 50k hits! That's awesome
Thanx to all of you who contribute to and read this AAR - Cheers guys!

< Message edited by PzB -- 6/29/2005 4:06:42 AM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 944
RE: 50k hits : ) - 6/29/2005 4:07:50 AM   
GordoNZ

Hey PZB

Just wanted to let you know I went out and brought WitP because of this and Wobblys thread.

Please don't stop, I love it.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 945
RE: 50k hits : ) - 6/29/2005 4:15:26 AM   
PzB74

Thanx - and welcome to the forum Gordon! Nice to have you onboard and I'm pleased to hear that
we may have motivated you to buy this great game

Will you soon be starting your own pbem game - and perhaps AAR?
This AAR is actually my one and only WitP game as Japan thus far. I learned a lot from playing Uncommon Valor and
reading WitP AARs.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to GordoNZ)
Post #: 946
Industry 1943 - 6/29/2005 4:46:47 AM   
PzB74

Pauk, here you got some industry screenies! May as well do something constructive while we wait for the bug fic...
I'll post the last industry and resource poster from 1942 in the nest post. That should make it easier to evaluate the latest developments.

Industry January 1943

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 947
RE: Industry 1943 - 6/29/2005 4:48:30 AM   
PzB74

Industry late 1942

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 948
RE: Industry 1943 - 6/29/2005 4:54:11 AM   
PzB74

Ok, so what do we see?

A major increase in supplies - that's excellent
There's also a minor increase in fuel, manpower, heavy industry, resources and oil!

The really big change can be seen in aircraft production: it has increased from 895 to 1295 units pr month in only a few short weeks!!
The consequence of this is that I'm short of Mitsubishi engines - I now need 957 pr month while only producing 683! As you can see I've ordered
the industry to expand this production by another 164 units.

This will take time and cost a lot of supplies, it's fortunate that we still got 1800 spare units in the pools.

Research has also increased by 6-7% and I'm doing some heavy research on e.g. the Zeke.
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to increase ac production any further...I'm sure you agree with me here Pauk!?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 949
Tactics and strategies... - 6/29/2005 5:13:33 AM   
PzB74

Calidor, the KB is not in Truk... Most of my fleet carriers are in Tokyo and have just finished their 12/42 upgrade.
They are now repairing the system damage this caused and will first leave for Truk when the Taiho arrives in 3 weeks time.
Can't say that I've been using the KB conservatively. It has been in continous action for almost a year and it really needed a rest now.
The ships have received trained pilot replacements and can still field air units with 80+ average experience.

Last time I divided the KB I lost both the Hiryu and Soryo! The problem is that I can only overwhelm the enemy if I keep the carriers together.
Nomad should still have 3-4 fleet carriers and I need the full KB in order to deal with them.

I actually sent 6 cv/cvls towards Lunga a while back, wanted to hit an enemy surface tf that my search planes had spotted there.
Unfortunately the ships were spotted and I therefore decided to withdraw them. At this late stage in the war it is very difficult to sail around
the Pacific without getting spotted. As soon as this happens all enemy shipping will be re-routed. The potential benefits of sinking a few
convoys therefore has to be carefully considered against the cost in fuel and sys damage.

If it is possible I will consider another raid, but the most important objective is to cover the counter offensives in the Marshalls and Solomons.
If I decide to go ahead with them that is...

It's first in late 1943 that the Allied carriers will be fully equipped with Hellcats, and a large KB can deal with this threat before the enemy receives
aditional Essex carriers. In my UV game that lasted through 1943 the KB remained superior to the Allied carrier fleet as this was regularily slapped
This is the 'Nich kleckern sondern klotzen' approach suggested by Guderian and adjusted for use in the South Pacific!-) ('Don't hit - simply slap' - would be a quick translation of that phrase..)

By keeping the KB strong I will force Nomad to be careful, even when he start to outclass me in 1944. This is especially true if I can stay within my own LBA range
and force him to come to me.

In most of the battles it has been tactics and strategy that has been the decisive factor in major battles! I expect this to be the case in 1943-4 as well, even though the quality of US ships and ac will become more and more telling. Wasn't the Combined Fleet able to outwit the US fleet in the battle of the Phillippine Sea in october 1944? If a more aggressive commander had been in command of the Japanese battlefleet an Allied invasion fleet could have been destroyed...

Thx for the input, appreciate your advice and comments

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

I've noticed that in post-India ops you may be using KB a bit too conservatively, sitting at Truk and awaiting opportunities.
My suggestion is, while you still can (soon you'll be swamped with Corsairs, Hellcats and P47's, and from what I saw from AARs it doesn't matter how expirienced IJN pilots are, facing mid-expirienced Allied pilots, let's say around 60-70s, in modern planes), go on a raid behind his lines. Don't send all CVs, just enough to beat his CVs if they come to the party. Keep the rest close to frontline bases.
For example, go raid his merchant lines between PH-East Coast, or down between PH and Noumea/NZ/Australia, just keep out of his medium LBA range.

Besides bagging some supplies, troops, damaged ships going to repairs or reinforcement ships coming to hot areas, or even catching some air groups crated on AKs, you could benefit from this two-fold:
- showing the KB far from your bases may provoke him to come forward in the 18in Type91 torpedo alley, and AFAIR he doesn't pose much of a threat (yet) outside his LBA range;
- forcing him to better protect his convoys by pulling some combat ships away from front lines, and to be paranoic about your next KB move, maybe even to stop sending war material for a while.

I don't know if you have a house rule about swapping carrier squadrons, because you could as well soon see Corsairs on CVs, and with all those Essex CVs on the way (even with their standard air groups) ...doesn't look good.

So this could as well be KB's swansong, before the turkey shoot.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post #: 950
RE: Tactics and strategies... - 6/29/2005 10:38:04 AM   
Lord_Calidor

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Calidor, the KB is not in Truk... Most of my fleet carriers are in Tokyo and have just finished their 12/42 upgrade.
They are now repairing the system damage this caused and will first leave for Truk when the Taiho arrives in 3 weeks time.
Can't say that I've been using the KB conservatively. It has been in continous action for almost a year and it really needed a rest now.
The ships have received trained pilot replacements and can still field air units with 80+ average experience.

Last time I divided the KB I lost both the Hiryu and Soryo! The problem is that I can only overwhelm the enemy if I keep the carriers together.
Nomad should still have 3-4 fleet carriers and I need the full KB in order to deal with them.

I actually sent 6 cv/cvls towards Lunga a while back, wanted to hit an enemy surface tf that my search planes had spotted there.
Unfortunately the ships were spotted and I therefore decided to withdraw them. At this late stage in the war it is very difficult to sail around
the Pacific without getting spotted. As soon as this happens all enemy shipping will be re-routed. The potential benefits of sinking a few
convoys therefore has to be carefully considered against the cost in fuel and sys damage.

If it is possible I will consider another raid, but the most important objective is to cover the counter offensives in the Marshalls and Solomons.
If I decide to go ahead with them that is...

It's first in late 1943 that the Allied carriers will be fully equipped with Hellcats, and a large KB can deal with this threat before the enemy receives
aditional Essex carriers. In my UV game that lasted through 1943 the KB remained superior to the Allied carrier fleet as this was regularily slapped
This is the 'Nich kleckern sondern klotzen' approach suggested by Guderian and adjusted for use in the South Pacific!-) ('Don't hit - simply slap' - would be a quick translation of that phrase..)

By keeping the KB strong I will force Nomad to be careful, even when he start to outclass me in 1944. This is especially true if I can stay within my own LBA range
and force him to come to me.

In most of the battles it has been tactics and strategy that has been the decisive factor in major battles! I expect this to be the case in 1943-4 as well, even though the quality of US ships and ac will become more and more telling. Wasn't the Combined Fleet able to outwit the US fleet in the battle of the Phillippine Sea in october 1944? If a more aggressive commander had been in command of the Japanese battlefleet an Allied invasion fleet could have been destroyed...

Thx for the input, appreciate your advice and comments

That sounds good enough. Keep it up, His Greatness Hirohito would've been proud of your actions, condemning two Allied supreme commanders to a mental institution.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 951
RE: Tactics and strategies... - 7/2/2005 10:01:50 AM   
Raverdave

Well done on reaching 50K ! Been a good read !

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 952
RE: Industry 1943 - 7/3/2005 4:57:44 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

The consequence of this is that I'm short of Mitsubishi engines - I now need 957 pr month while only producing 683! As you can see I've ordered
the industry to expand this production by another 164 units.

Research has also increased by 6-7% and I'm doing some heavy research on e.g. the Zeke.
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to increase ac production any further...I'm sure you agree with me here Pauk!?

Yes, i hope that you have enough planes in the pool. As for the Nakajima - you will need 164 000 supply for expanding production, so you don't have to worry about supply level. You can convert even more factories to the nakajima (always is better convert several small factories then one big (in latter case you will repair only one engine point). So, the bigger is not better!. Thanks for info, these numbers will help me in long term production!

and, where is the rising sun in your sig?

< Message edited by pauk -- 7/3/2005 4:59:19 PM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 953
RE: Industry 1943 - 7/3/2005 5:37:40 PM   
PzB74

Thx Raver - looks like I have to return those words in a few days

That's true Pauk..I've been looking for small factories to expand. Not doing to much with it right now as we're still waiting for the bug fix.
If we continue without it I'd like Frag to release 2 Divs from China that can replace the 48th and 55th.

I'm a double agent and my position at Station X could be compromised if I showed to much affection for the Japs...)
Btw. Me and Nomad have reopened the ole UV thread while we wait for the WitP problem to be solved. Only 3 weeks left
of the old Scen 19 game we started years ago. Here's the end of that story: Empire Triumphant

< Message edited by PzB -- 7/3/2005 5:38:29 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 954
RE: Industry 1943 - 7/3/2005 5:49:47 PM   
pauk

ah, forgot to ask, do you guys (you and Nikademus) planing to have AAR for your upcomming game. It would be interesting to see if you can make list of your vicitims longer?

it is going to be tough game, since Nik confesed that he is "dull" allied player (because he played japan so much and he is well aware of japan potentiality early in the game). Do you have some diabolical plans for him?

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 955
RE: Industry 1943 - 7/3/2005 9:20:39 PM   
PzB74

I've tried to get started with a new game over the last few days. Unfortunately I've got this nagging doubt... I don't think I've got time to play another time consuming
game as Japan. Another AAR is out of the question. So I'm afraid I have to tell Nik that I have to pass this round.

When I get a job it will most likely be very time consuming, so 1-2 WitP turns each night is really as much as I will be able to handle.
Don't want to burn out like ADavidB did, that would be a shame!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 956
Back to V1.5 - 7/14/2005 7:31:09 PM   
PzB74

Ok, we're back to January 4th with V1.5!
This is the 5th time I play this turn - plain awful.

The new patch (V1.6) messed up our game so much that we have decided to drop it until a more stabile
version is released. The loss of 2 crack Jap divs was serious and who knows what other things this beta patch may invoke
further down the path.

In this latest version of the 4th of January I didn't hit the BB Indiana as I did in an earlier turn, but I did loose 21 Bettys
in the attempt... So a not so good start, but at least we're back on track. Will try to take things easy for a few days as all the
problemes has caused a loss of continuity in this game.

Over the next week or so I will try to work out a new battleplan!
Ordered to produced 300 more Nakajima engines all over Japan today and sent 10 destroyers from Tokyo to Truk.
It's Tokyo Express time in the Solomons as enemy LBA make movement by day very dangerous.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/04/43

Sub/ASW Attacks

ASW attack at 58,83

Japanese Ships
MSW Tama Maru #2
MSW Sonobe Maru
MSW Ranzan Maru
APD APD-31
DD Uranami

Allied Ships
SS S-45, hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Air Combat

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 4
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 30
Ki-21 Sally x 106
Ki-48 Lily x 12
Ki-49 Helen x 26

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 3 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
64 casualties reported

Airbase hits 14
Runway hits 48

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombers bombing at 15000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 18
Ki-48 Lily x 74

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 36

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on Mandalay , at 33,30

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
Ki-21 Sally x 50

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 44

Aircraft Attacking:
All bombers bombing at 10000 feet

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 9
Wellington III x 11

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged
Wellington III: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Kiriwina Island at 57,93

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 13
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 26

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Mormaclark
AK Kota Radja, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC SC-742

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Goodenough island at 56,93

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 13

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk I x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
MSW Latrobe
TK Republic
AK John Adams, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Makin at 85,89

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
G4M1 Betty x 37

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 37
P-38G Lightning x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 21 destroyed
Ki-46-III Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
P-38G Lightning: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Stack
BB Indiana
DD Fletcher

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 957
RE: Back to V1.5 - 7/15/2005 11:30:58 PM   
PzB74

We're slowly getting back into things and I'm pretty satisfied with how things are looking.
A little too intense south of Rabaul, but not much I can do about that for the moment. The rest
of January will see my ships finishing their upgrades and repairs and numerous reinforcements
are already streaming into Truk.

My training schools in China will deliver 70+ exp pilots for the south Pacific and 60+ exp pilots
for secondary Army Daitais.

We will not upgrade to V1.6 until we know that it's working properly.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/05/43

Sub/ASW Attacks

My massive asw effort between Truk and Rabaul has seriously reduced the
underwater menace. Still a lot of subs around Kwajalein, asw ac hit 2 of them
today.

ASW attack at 59,84

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 1
MSW Togo Maru
MSW Mejima Maru
MSW W.20
DD Michishio

Allied Ships
SS S-34, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*

Air Combat

Heavy air strikes against Kewiyang today. The af is now completely ruined and
tomorrow the bombers will shift to another target.

Ken is bombing the usual targets in China, Burma, Timor, New Guinea and the Solomons.
Nothing really interesting as they're all unopposed.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
A6M3 Zero x 18
Ki-27 Nate x 5
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 30
Ki-21 Sally x 105
Ki-48 Lily x 11
Ki-49 Helen x 27

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 4 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
97 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 126

Aircraft Attacking:

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 18
Ki-48 Lily x 81

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 74

Aircraft Attacking:

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 958
Allies capture Buna! - 7/18/2005 3:50:07 AM   
PzB74

I indicated to Ken that I would take it easy for a few turns until we got started again.
He obviously got other plans! The invasion convoy to Buna has been accelerated and more
fighters put on CAP.

I dispatched a cruiser force under Tanaka to intercept this convoy, but this only happened
after the bulk of the 2nd Australian Division had been unloaded. 2 enemy TFs successfully
managed to retreat before Tanaka moved in - strange, they didn't get much warning and
the fast ships should have been able to overtake the slow invasion convoys.

Anyway, Tanaka didn't move quickly enough back towards Rabaul and a light cruiser and
destroyer were hit by bombs. Several transports from the dispersed convoys were hit by
Jap naval bombers. Ken was lucky that much of his 2nd Div didn't end up on the bottom of the sea!

Another Allied battleship, the brand new North Carolina was hit by a torpedo off Munda. There can't
be many operational Allied bb's left for bombardment duties now Another tf with heavy Allied ships
was observed heading west south of Woodlark island.

There is a lot of enemy traffic in this area but no size 4 airfields to cover it, so I've dispatched Nagumo
and the 3rd Carrier Division including the carrier Junyo and 3 light carriers. This force will try to catch
a few enemy ships that thinks they own the ocean, cause that's a misconception altogether!

It's pretty difficult to reinforce bases like Buna and Lae as hundreds of enemy bombers have pounded
the bases to rubble and left them without much supplies and operational equippment. A campaign by land
will be a slow one though and soon I can ship a full division to New Guinea.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/06/43

Surface Combat

My subs are mostly used as minelayers these days...

TF 1015 encounters mine field at Goodenough island (56,93)

Allied Ships
AK Arkansan, Mine hits 1, on fire
TF 1030 encounters mine field at Dobodura (55,91)

Allied Ships
DD Van Galen

Invasions

Coastal Guns at Buna, 55,90, firing at TF 1030
TF 1030 troops unloading over beach at Buna, 55,90

Allied Ships
DD Monssen

Allied ground losses:
365 casualties reported

3 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Allied Ships
DD Russell

Allied ground losses:
297 casualties reported

Air Combat

Day Air attack on TF, near Fergusson Island at 57,94

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships - DMS's are valuable ships...good shot captein!
DMS Dorsey, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Buna at 55,90

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 4
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 26 - ah, forgot to turn down the range of these Oscars! Expensive...

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 12 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Russell

Aircraft Attacking:

Ground Combat

The 2nd Australian Division is unloading at Buna...and this force is vastly superior to
the SNLF unit there.

Ground combat at Buna

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 924 troops, 7 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 4530 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese ground losses:
2 casualties reported

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/07/43

Surface Combat

Invasions

15 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese ground losses:
2 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
324 casualties reported

Air Combat

The air offensive in China moves on to Kunming!

Day Air attack on Kunming , at 39,33

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14
A6M3 Zero x 18
Ki-21 Sally x 48
Ki-48 Lily x 5
Ki-49 Helen x 6
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 24

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on Taung Gyi , at 33,32 - moved some trained Zeros here to clip the Allied intruders!

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 10
Wellington III x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 2 damaged
Wellington III: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
44 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 7

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 56,89 - Tanaka's TF runs into trouble but the Oscar CAP fights back!

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 10

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 16
SBD Dauntless x 14
Hudson I x 9
Beaufort V-IX x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
SBD Dauntless: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships - both the Kuma and the damaged destroyer should reach Rabaul. Mostly superstructure damage!
CA Myoko
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Tachikaze, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CA Furutaka

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 6000 feet
1 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
1 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
4 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
4 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 56,91 - the retreating enemy ships are hit by my naval bombers!

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 15
G4M1 Betty x 6
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 33

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Mauna Ala, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Hatterlock, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Enggano, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Munda at 64,95 - but another large strike is sent against the battleship North Carolina which is hit by 2 torps inc 1 dud!

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
G4M1 Betty x 21

Allied aircraft
P-40B Tomahawk x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 5 destroyed, 11 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Tomahawk: 6 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB North Carolina, Torpedo hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 56,89

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 13

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 2
Beaufort V-IX x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 56,89 - a last strike against Tanaka is a failure

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 13

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11
Beaufort V-IX x 12
P-38G Lightning x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 6 damaged
P-38G Lightning: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Yura
DD Hibiki
CA Furutaka

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 57,91

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
G4M1 Betty x 2
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 3

Allied aircraft - a heavy CAP for a single DM
P-38G Lightning x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning: 4 destroyed, 5 damaged

Allied Ships
DM Breese

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF at 57,91

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 32

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 8 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses - hey..this is great work Oscar!
P-38G Lightning: 9 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP William Ward Burrows

Aircraft Attacking:

Ground Combat

Ground combat at Buna

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 916 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 7188 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Ground combat at Buna

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7188 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 964 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 123 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied forces CAPTURE Buna base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
65 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
24 casualties reported

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Situation Map: The Solomons January 1943

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 959
RE: Allies capture Buna! - 7/19/2005 3:52:20 AM   
PzB74

Today saw further anti shipping strikes in the Solomons. The area is crawling with enemy
vessels and aircraft. Lunga holds a 100+ strong CAP.. Would be very dangerous to get close to these bastions.
I have considered a short bombing offensive against Port Moresby. A large force could hit the place from Wewak
and Hansa. This would be a one time occurrance as Ken would most likely increase the local CAP heavily. This would actually
serve its own purpose!

It's another 14 days until the Taiho joins the KB. The 18th and the Imperial divisions
are now unloading in Truk. Operation Recoil is only a good month or so away.

In the meanwhile Nagumo is sailing his carrier divisions into harms way, not sure I will venture to deep into the Solomons.
Should be enough to give Ken a scare and perhaps catch a few fish. No enemy carriers have been spotted, but there are numerous
other heavy warships in Gili Gili and Lunga.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/08/43

Surface Combat

Tanaka bombarded Buna before retreating back towards Rabaul tonight.
Hopefully malaria will decimate the rest of the Oz div...

Naval bombardment of Buna, at 55,90

Japanese Ships
CL Yura
CA Furutaka
CA Myoko

Allied ground losses:
111 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Air Combat

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 23
Ki-48 Lily x 75

Allied aircraft - this single little bugger brings down 2 Lilys!
I-16c x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 50

Aircraft Attacking:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Kavieng at 61,86

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 17

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 3 destroyed
Day Air attack on TF, near Talasea at 59,88

Allied aircraft
Avenger I x 6
Kittyhawk I x 2

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships - the Kuma is in a very bad shape..but should make Rabaul tomorrow as its only 2 hexes out.
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Avenger I bombing at 5000 feet
4 x Avenger I bombing at 5000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Goodenough island at 56,93

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 5
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 21

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk I x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 2 damaged

Allied Ships - another valuable DMS is hit
DMS Perry, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Day Air attack on TF at 57,90

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 7

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships - ah one destroyer minelayer less to worry about!
DM Breese, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DM Ramsay

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Kiriwina Island at 57,93

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 8

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 8

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied Ships - both these ships sink
AK Mauna Ala, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Enggano, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
Day Air attack on TF, near Talasea at 59,88

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 12

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships - this 250lb bomb bounces of the cruiser
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: A brave new Allied CinC.... Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI