Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting Flags in custom maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Starting Flags in custom maps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting Flags in custom maps - 7/20/2005 9:39:21 PM   
Major_Johnson

My opponent and I have been playing PBEM's for years, and within the past 6 months or so we've been picking a custom map, setting a point value and choosing our own forces etc over playing the premade scenarios. As we continue to play this way, I keep finding unusual characteristics with the game and I post a question to get a bottom line answer.

When we choose a map there are two sets of boundary flags on either side of the map. I have always thought that they were supposed to be the limit to which you could deploy your forces, set mines etc. and I've always played that way. In a recent battle, I discovered my opponent has been placing units in certain parts of the "no mans land" area on the map. Through some trial and error I found that I was able to do the same (and at the same time see whatever of his deployed units that were in the line of sight), but only in certain sections, not everywhere. Well I decided to keep playing my way regardless, and still kept everything to my side of the map, even mines bought while purcahsing my units, which I have always used for defensive purposes. On taking my first turn I discovered that my opponent had mined the no mans land on just the other side of my boundary flags and with just moving two hexes I had lost 6-8 pieces of armor and countless infantry!! With that I figured the gloves were off, and I redid my deployment to even the playing field. I called my opponent on it and he felt that if the game let's you do it, then it's ok. Personally I don't think it's fair to be able to see your opponents units during deployment, let alone set up in no mans land.

So my question is, just what is the purpose of the starting boundary flags? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.
Post #: 1
RE: Starting Flags in custom maps - 7/20/2005 9:42:56 PM   
Terminus

That's certain interesting. I always thought that the flags were the border as well...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 2
RE: Starting Flags in custom maps - 7/20/2005 9:46:28 PM   
VikingNo2

First I have heard of it, I thought they where bounderies

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Starting Flags in custom maps - 7/20/2005 9:51:59 PM   
Major_Johnson

BTW, I found out that my opponent had been taking advantage of this for some time. This was just the first scenario that I happened to find out about it.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

Post #: 4
RE: Starting Flags in custom maps - 7/21/2005 5:19:38 AM   
Major Destruction

It depends on how you choose the custom map.

If the map is chosen "Custom:As Designed" and the designer has built an error into the map, you will see that error.
You should not see this problem if you choose "Custom:Random Start" or "Custom:Random Both"

In the former option the victory flag placement is 'as designed' and the start lines are placed by the AI according to whatever side of the map each Nation is deployed and with consideration to the visibility.

In the latter option, the start lines and the victory flags are placed by the AI.

IMHO, it is not sufficient that the game allows something. It is a game and it is supposed to involve a certain equal level of fun for both players. And that implies that one player should not profit from quirks in the game. If in doubt, deploy behind the line closest to your edge of the map. If you ask your opponent to play fair and he can not respect that, then find another opponent.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Starting Flags in custom maps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI