Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Privateers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Privateers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Privateers - 7/19/2005 10:50:55 PM   
Malagant

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is really what's happening, but it seems to me my Privateers will prey on my own trade routes.

This is actually a good thing for me: If I'm giving 4 textiles for 4 gold, my trade partner gives me the 4 gold, and my privateer steals the textiles and gives them back to me.

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
Post #: 1
RE: Privateers - 7/20/2005 6:05:04 AM   
Ralegh

I agree. This is a "feature". I am not sure if the AI's opinion of you is hurt by stealing from him, but a human whoc figures it out might be a little mad.

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 2
RE: Privateers - 7/20/2005 7:01:06 AM   
Naomi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malagant

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is really what's happening, but it seems to me my Privateers will prey on my own trade routes.

This is actually a good thing for me: If I'm giving 4 textiles for 4 gold, my trade partner gives me the 4 gold, and my privateer steals the textiles and gives them back to me.

I witnessed French privateers stationed around Copenhagen and my report mentioned a long list they stole. In the long list, what they stole were all non-gold commodities. But the immediately following (tabled) report gave (at the top) a lump-sum of a certain quantity of gold I got stolen. I was thus confounded by three questions, as below:
*Were they stealing from me or the report just mentioned their ill-gotten stuff regardless of whom they stole from?
*Were they steal commodities, as well as gold?
*Do privateers steal without regard to whether their nation is at war with me?

I don't think the manuel is packed with any explanation about privateering behaviour (at least in such detail) and what I can find in the game failed to make me clear about it.

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 3
RE: Privateers - 7/20/2005 2:25:56 PM   
eMonticello

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naomi
*Do privateers steal without regard to whether their nation is at war with me?

Yes. I actually use privateers strategically in the Med as Turkey. I'll use my privateers to encourage the Yankee AI to leave certain high-value trading areas by ganging up on its merchants. At this time, there is no risk to the privateer.

I believe the privateer behavior could be improved immensely by a) allowing a country to select which countries a privateer may target (with an occasional mistake), b) allow a country to pay tribute to a non-major power with the privateers (privateers would have no impact on trade for that country's merchant until the agreement ends), c) allow a squadron/fleet of frigates to attack the privateers that are poaching the country's merchants (in other words, the squadron is in the same area as the merchant and privateer), d) add an additional clause(s) in the treaty list that would address privateers.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 4
RE: Privateers - 7/23/2005 9:34:43 PM   
vonkohlmann

Excellent ideas eMontecello! These would add historical and well as play value to privateers.

(in reply to eMonticello)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> Privateers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI